Q: Why do I taste blood when working out?!

Options
this issue freaks me out and i get scared to keep going!

Replies

• Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    I have never heard of this, but if I was you I would see a doc
  • sarahbeth17
    sarahbeth17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You should probably consult your doctor before working out anymore?!?!
  • SandraD89
    SandraD89 Posts: 809
    Options
    this issue freaks me out and i get scared to keep going!
    Could be acid reflux or just not getting enough water or breathing right.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I have not had this happen, but here is the link I found about it:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/322820-metallic-taste-in-the-mouth-during-exercise/
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    are you a vampire? j/k

I have no clue. better talk to a doctor.
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I would agree with most people here... see a doctor!!
  • caeliumspecto
    caeliumspecto Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem when I really pushed myself (usually running). It always felt like my gums were bleeding. Thanks for the article!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Oh my! DOCTOR!!!!
  • stinabear13
    Options
    is it just the taste? and no actual blood in your mouth? i have noticed that sort of jolt i get of adrenaline or my blood is really pumping because of something else thats happening and having to deal with, i get that sort of blood taste in my mouth. but to be on the safe side see a dr. have him draw some blood and send off tests just to clear everything, hormone and i guess other vitamin levels in your body. make sure your health is in the clear. but for now next time it happens stop, take a sip of water swish around and sip in a clear glass, ya shouls be able to see if there is any hint of actual blood or not.
  • amers55
    amers55 Posts: 46
    Options
    ok! ok! ill call my dr! lol its just this weird metallic/blood taste it dosent always happen but its weird when it does! thanks everyone for responding!
  • KotyTyler
    KotyTyler Posts: 3,592 Member
    Options
    I have not had this happen, but here is the link I found about it:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/322820-metallic-taste-in-the-mouth-during-exercise/

Excellent article! Thanks for passing it along~
  • megansprague
    Options
    I used to have this happen a lot! It was always when I would start a season (when I used to row) or began working out again after a while and did a really hard workout for a while. It tastes kind of copper-y, doesn't it? Or at least it did for me. It hasn't happened in... four weeks for me, and four weeks ago was when I joined my gym and had a personal trainer session. I think these things help:
    -being in better shape (haha)
    -drinking more water (very important before exercise I've found)
    -eating something before exercising
    -breathing evenly
    That's my experience so you're definitely not alone and I'm not sure it's something to be alarmed about unless it keeps happening.
  • amers55
    amers55 Posts: 46
    Options
    thanks megan!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Ok Im going to go all Dental on you.

When was your last check up?
    Was it normal?
    Do you brush and floss daily?
    So your gums bleed when you brush or floss?
    Are you a mouth breather when you are working out?
    Are you brushing or flossing shortly before working out?
  • trinity77
    trinity77 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    without wanting to scare you i used to get this whenever i over exerted myself. when i went to the doctor as a child they diagnosed me with asthma even though i never had any closing of the airways. to cut a long story short i was diagnosed with a heart murmur at the age of 28 whilst in A&E after fracturing my spine. after further investigation they found i had a hole in the heart and the y blood pressure in my lungs was 3 times that in the rest of my body, hence the taste! i had open heart surgery to close the hole 4 years ago. i now never taste blood when i'm exercising.

moral to this story, go see your doctor. it could be nothing important or it could be an early symptom of something that needs to be investigated.