I believe there is benefits to a cheat day.

Options
13»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    On this topic, check out this thread.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471

I have been incorporating this method and it's great in that you really only seem to restrict yourself on your off days. Workout days are absolute feasting! Haha
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Interesting information. Thanks for sharing. I don't necessarily have "cheat days" because I don't feel like I'm deprived and need a day to "cheat". I try to eat healthy the majority of the time but if I feel like some frozen yogurt one day, I have it. If I go to a July 4th cookout and I want the burger or a cupcake, then I'll have it. As long as I'm not eating like that every day then I don't see an issue with it once in a while and in moderation.
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Love It!
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    thanks for the comments.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i call it a "treat" not a "cheeat". if I'm good all week, i can have my treat at the weekend. If I go to the gym 4-5 times in the week, i'm allowed my treat. It's been working for me. I've stuck at it since New Year, and feel like on the weekends, I'm allowed to have a drink, or go to the party and eat a bit of whatever without going to overboard, or sit on the couch on saturday night and eat some chocolate. I still feel human and normal, at the same time as achieving my goals.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This is one I disagree with you on.

For personal reasons.

And I feel like I'm probably going to edit this post before you actually see it.
  • hush7hush
    Options
    And man, how I despise the phrase "cheat day"....

Ditto.
  • portexploit
    Options

For personal reasons.

And I feel like I'm probably going to edit this post before you actually see it.

I already saw it. You can disagree all you want to but the laws of science won't change. If you're talking about, if you have a free day, it can lead to a "free week" i'll agree with you on that. Self control has to be exercised.
  • portexploit
    Options
    i call it a "treat" not a "cheeat". if I'm good all week, i can have my treat at the weekend. If I go to the gym 4-5 times in the week, i'm allowed my treat. It's been working for me. I've stuck at it since New Year, and feel like on the weekends, I'm allowed to have a drink, or go to the party and eat a bit of whatever without going to overboard, or sit on the couch on saturday night and eat some chocolate. I still feel human and normal, at the same time as achieving my goals.

That's good. Wheh I started my free days, i'd eat 4,000 calories a day, just gorge on pretty much whatever i wanted. China food buffet, with ice cream afterwards and beer. Now my days are not as intense, I stick to my diet half of the day, and then yeah have a free meal... yesterday was my free day, I ate some BK, onion rings, and some chocolate pie, with some pasta. I am pretty sure my calories where around 2,500, not even close to 4,000. I am toning it down a bit.
  • hush7hush
    Options

For personal reasons.

I already saw it. You can disagree all you want to but the laws of science won't change. If you're talking about, if you have a free day, it can lead to a "free week" i'll agree with you on that. Self control has to be exercised.

That's basically my reason.

Free days wear my self-control thin. Free meals are one thing. A whole day of **** would drive me into a hole.
  • portexploit
    Options

For personal reasons.

Free days wear my self-control thin. Free meals are one thing. A whole day of **** would drive me into a hole.

I know sometimes you have that issue, like you get out of control., i know you feel bad about it too sometimes. Of course it may not be for you a "free day" that's fine. It might be possible that if you had a free day once a week, those binge episodes won't happen the way they do, and there won't be the emotional distress of going on a binge. That's 1 reason of a free day so you don't go on a binge, you get rid of all your desires and have a fresh successful week.
  • hush7hush
    Options

For personal reasons.

I know sometimes you have that issue, like you get out of control., i know you feel bad about it too sometimes. Of course it may not be for you a "free day" that's fine. It might be possible that if you had a free day once a week, those binge episodes won't happen the way they do, and there won't be the emotional distress of going on a binge. That's 1 reason of a free day so you don't go on a binge, you get rid of all your desires and have a fresh successful week.
    I'm sure there are benefits to some people.

I prefer not to take one day of the week to destroy all my efforts with fat/grease/empty calories.

Unless of course getting ****-faced counts. I like drunk.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My only criticism (despite agreeing whole-heartedly by the way!).. don't call it a cheat day. It's not cheating if you allow yourself it. Factor it in, and manage it. No-one is suggesting you eat your body weight in icecream or eat chips with everything for one day per week. If you "allow yourself" to enjoy it once a week and "relax the rules" a bit - you will find that you won't want to binge stupidly. Enjoy something you wouldn't normally but think about it. Don't undo all the work of the previous 6 days, just treat yourself for the hard work. I find I DO have a treat but don't go silly. I want to reward myself but don't want to feel guilty after. That's NOT the idea.

It's about rewarding yourself, not depriving and CONTROL. Keep in control - I find that 1 day feeling like this, and I'm back on it after. Although I'm new to MFP, I've been dieting/interested in fitness for many years. I have a tendency to 'beat myself up' if I fall off the wagon so to speak, this allows me slip off for a bit but jump right back on.

It works for me.. good luck .

Mel
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I cheat every day with a fudgsicle =] light coconut milk, banana, and cocoa powder frozen together! I agree, although I personally try to cheat with manageable and healthy things (which sounds like it defeats the purpose...)
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    When I am trying to lose weight I have a 'cheat' (or whatever terminology you want to use) meal and dessert and always for dinner as I have found it its lunch I have another cheat meal for dinner!
    When it is maintenence I eat whatever I feel like on weekends (but try to stick to 80% healthy 20% not so healthy)
    Works for me-most of the time!
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    Oh and I have 6 squares of green and black's organic dark mayan chocolate a night-I nibble on it for about an hour so feel like I get a treat everyday-and for only 110 calories!
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    One cheat meal a week is the reward you give yourself for a hard week..........(most of the time, you still monitor your cheat meal fairly hard on yourself....but EVERYONE deserves it!!!!)
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    agree and disagree