Feeling Discouraged

Options
I have been using MFP since May 25th. I have logged my meals faithfully every day, and I usually end the day 200-400 calories under my goal. I always eat at least 1200 calories a day. I have gone over a couple of days, but only by about 100 or 200 calories. I exercise every day for 30-90 minutes.

I have a goal to lose 105 pounds in a year. I have lost 11 pounds since May 25th. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the scale go down at all for two weeks now. I told myself that the number doesn't really matter because I know that I'm eating right and exercising every day. But for some reason, when I weighed myself this morning, it really ticked me off to see the same number on that stupid scale.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Or does anyone have any advice about how I can deal with this?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Try to eat all your calories. It is hard sometime but you have to, if you want to do this right.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Agree with above. Definitely try to always eat your exercise calories, or get as close to it as possible. Are you giving yourself rest days? Those are very important too. Keep up your good work!!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Try to eat all your calories. It is hard sometime but you have to, if you want to do this right.

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Do what MFP says, and eat back the exercise cals. Use measurements and see if they are changing. If you really feel you've reached a plateau you might want to consider calorie zig-zagging or adjusting the settings/goals. You may also want to look at the sugar and salt levels in your diet xx
  • MommaGrizzly
    Options
    Sometimes it take a bit for our body to adjust to losing weight. Are you doing a lot of strength training as well?

If you want to keep an acurate measure of weightloss, start measuring around your waste or go by pant sizes. Don't focus too much on the number. Weightloss takes a long time, but if you keep with it, you'll lose it all.
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Try to take a scale "vacation" for 2 weeks, continue eating well, drinking water, and working out. You do eat back most of your exercise calories right? I think that eating my exercise calories has been key to my weight loss. The weight will come off, stay focused :)
  • firedrgn2000
    Options
    Do you eat breakfast? A lot of people don't realize that when they don't eat breakfast or put off eating breakfast that your body will store fat.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am going to disagree with the pp's a little bit. Stick with what you are doing. DON'T change how you are eating ... yet. That is, assuming you don't feel weak, tired, or flu-ish achy (NOT the same as exercise achy by the way).

I had a similar experience. Lost about 3-4% body weight right away, then gained and lost the same 2 lbs for several weeks straight. But I stuck to my plan, and then about four weeks into this mini plateau, I dropped about 5 lbs in 2 days. And now the scale continues to go down. Not that quickly, but down it goes. HTH.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    If you have that much to lose you definitely need to be eating more than 1200 a day. Make sure your activity level is correct, that you're eating as much as you should and that you're getting in all the water you need to be drinking.

If that doesn't help check your sodium levels (BIG problem if they're too high).

If that doesn't help make sure you're getting in enough protein in a day and limiting the processed foods. Veggies and fruits are your friend.

If THAT doesn't work print out your diary and take it either to a doctor or dietician.

If THAT STILL doesn't work then you might need to have some medical tests done.

Good luck!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Why is it that 95% of MFPers only depend on the scale to measure their success?! I remember that for 2 weeks, the scale didn't move, yet, I had to tighten my belt, literally, and my clothes where saggy. If you don't excercise, then yes, you will not lose much more. Replace discouragement with drive, and take your anger out on the pavement by stomping it at 12 miles per hour. You'll see how fast that scale drops.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options

There is a trend here...I know it's hard and I was the SAME way. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I needed to eat more to lose more. However your body needs that fuel especially if you're working out 30-90 minutes a day! That's a long time girl! I hope this helps! God bless:)
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    Try to take a scale "vacation" for 2 weeks, continue eating well, drinking water, and working out. You do eat back most of your exercise calories right? I think that eating my exercise calories has been key to my weight loss. The weight will come off, stay focused :)

I like this...Scale vacation...I should do this soon!:)
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me they were getting frustrated because she hadn't lost any weight, was eating good, staying under calorie goal every day. When I asked her about her water intake, she was only drinking 1-2 glasses per day. When she increased her water intake to 6 per day, she lost 2 pounds that week and 2 more the following. Her goal is 8 per day.

Are you drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water per day?
  • marybsalmon
    marybsalmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

This is where I'm frustrated. I have a BMI of 27 and I have 31 pounds to lose to get to my goal. I'm just not seeing a lot of progress. Originally I was eating 1200 calories a day and I lost 5 pounds the first month...exercising 5 days a week at least 30 min a day. Then someone suggested I adjust my calories up since I was working out so much. So I had my calories at 1600 (a 500 calorie deficit) but actually gained 2 pounds within just a few days of increasing my calories. So just today I decided to drop it back down to 1450 (a 650 cal deficit). I'm so confused!!!
  • Nodaa
    Nodaa Posts: 40
    Options
    This happened to me many times, is not only about playing some sports.

1- Are you eating enough? If not, eat your whole estimated calories.

2-Sometimes, we think we eat less, but not. I should eat 1500 calories, but i do not calculate everything, such as sauces, and so on. I eat then 1100 calories.

3- Are you eating so lately?. some ppl can be effected by this. Not a huge reason.

4-Eating too much carbs can effect the body, it can make your weight to maintain for a while.

It is all estimations, nothing wrong or right, just try and you gonna be fine.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    First, good job on losing the 11 lbs. in about 5 weeks. That is over 2 lbs per week average!

It gets frustrating to see the same number every week, I know. I always feel that my body is just resetting itself. It doesn't really believe I am going to keep this up, so hangs on to the pounds for a few weeks hopeing I will give up and go back to eating the way I used to. (Too bad, I am not going to do that this time!)

The other tips offered are good. Also make sure you are drinking enough water and measure your food. I find that eyeballing 1 cup or 4 oz. doesn't work too well, especially in the beginning!

Good luck on your journey!!
  • Nodaa
    Nodaa Posts: 40
    Options
    Another thing, if you are on dieting for a longtime, more than 2 months, try to break for 2 - 3 days. It will gain you some weight, but you gonna lose it again.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP since May 25th. I have logged my meals faithfully every day, and I usually end the day 200-400 calories under my goal. I always eat at least 1200 calories a day. I have gone over a couple of days, but only by about 100 or 200 calories. I exercise every day for 30-90 minutes.

I have a goal to lose 105 pounds in a year. I have lost 11 pounds since May 25th. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the scale go down at all for two weeks now. I told myself that the number doesn't really matter because I know that I'm eating right and exercising every day. But for some reason, when I weighed myself this morning, it really ticked me off to see the same number on that stupid scale.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Or does anyone have any advice about how I can deal with this?

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. to have a safe and healthy way of losing weight it's recommend to lose 1-2 lbs. a week. going by your 11 lbs. lost since May 25th to now it's 5 weeks and a few days

11 lbs/ 5 weeks = 2.2 lbs. avg. lost a week.
    I don't see a reason to be discouraged. just keep up what you are doing and above all PATIENCE!
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    Someone else just posted about zig-zagging. Calories up and down to shock the body a little. I'm a fan of this.
  • lockermama
    lockermama Posts: 16
    Options
    Remember 3500 calories = 1 pound, so a cutback of 500 calories/day means a pound in a week. I joined about the same time as you and I've only lost 7, but I'm not cutting back as much (trying for 1450 per day). So hang in there and know that you're doing the right thing. It will happen!