Fitting it all in - how do y'all do it?!

Options
I was doing so well with my exercise and proper eating before I started working. Now, I have an active lifestyle because of my job, but also because of that I can't seem to muster the energy to keep going long enough to exercise when I get home. All you working folk, particularly those that are on your feet all day (quite literally), how do you do it?! Tips, pointers, exercise, please! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    I was doing so well with my exercise and proper eating before I started working. Now, I have an active lifestyle because of my job, but also because of that I can't seem to muster the energy to keep going long enough to exercise when I get home. All you working folk, particularly those that are on your feet all day (quite literally), how do you do it?! Tips, pointers, exercise, please! :flowerforyou:
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    usually I only have to think about how much I paid for the gym membership and I don't want it to go to waste lol
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    how about before work? my buddy fought through 1 week and now cant wait to get to the gym.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I like to get my exercise done BEFORE work. First I dance to fast oldies for a half hour to 45 minutes. I can even watch tv too, which is great! Then I have breakfast, which is almost always oatmeal, and then I go to work and take about a half hour walk before starting my work day.
    Then after work, I can go home and know that my exercise is done for the day!
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    An early morning workout is really great! It doesn't seem so in the beginning, but once you do it, you'll be hooked! It is so satisfying to begin your day full of energy and satisfaction! Good luck!
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    usually I only have to think about how much I paid for the gym membership and I don't want it to go to waste lol

Thats my motivation!
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    I HATE mornings, but I am a morning workout person. It is too hard to fit it in in the evenings. Also, if I workout before everyone else is up: less interruptions and I don't feel that I am taking time away from my kids and hubby.
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    my butt can't get up early enough for a morning workout like everyone else. Waking up 5:30am is early enough for me. I was smart though, I signed up at a gym that is between work and home. So on my way home I literally have to pass it. So, that helps me .. so I have a backpack of sweats in my car - so when I go by I change and workout and I"m done for the day. I won't let myself go home first cause I won't go back out.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Just do it!!!!!!!

I'm a very busy physician with long hours and a crazy call schedule. Sometimes, it feels like there aren't enough hours in the day, but most days i can fit in a workout, however short it may be.

I belong to Bally's so there is a branch near my house, and another one between my home and the main hospital. If I don't feel like going, then I ride my stationary bike or use the Bowflex at home. The main thing is not to sit down and get comfortable; once that happens its hard to summon the willpower to get off your but and do it.

If you just hate exercise, then I suggest the Wii fit. It's fun, comes with a personal trainer, and often doesn't feel like exercise.

All that being said, it still boils down to JUST DO IT!!!!!!!
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Before work. I work in the Operating Rooms for 12.5 hours and I NEVER get to sit (only for my 45 minute break).
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get up at 5 to make it to the gym. It's so worth it. I have more energy!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch break every work day :smile:
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to workout in the morning or it doesn't get done. I have a wonderful boss who lets me set my own hours and I only work 6 hours a day. Since I need classes at the gym to really work hard, I either go to the 8:15 am class and work 10-4, or on Fridays I work 7-9, workout from 9:30-10:30, and finish my shift 11:30-3:30.

I tried doing after work, but my son is in high school and plays basketball. He's not old enough to drive yet, so I found that getting to the gym at night on a regular basis was NOT possible.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    No way I could get in an hour and half to two hours in at the gym before I go to work. But I do love going immediately after work. It's my cool-down. There's not a lot of physical activity, but my brain hurts after a full day at the office. emoticon_huh.gif So for me, going to the gym afterwards is a way for me to relieve all the stress from working all day. I know my family appreciates it too. I'm not cranky and I'm more focused on them and actually feel more energetic.Emoticon_by_LittleGirl88.gif
  • Periphria
    Periphria Posts: 358
    Options
    Hi there,

My suggestion is to find a good 20 or 30 minute workout and get up early and do it before work. Or work it into your work day some how. I run an in home daycare and I workout before work and am very active during work and walk the dog after work. Every little bit counts.

Good Luck.
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Here is my theory... You will always have something else to do other then working out. You will always be busy, tired, stressed, needing "me" time. Work out anyway! Eventually working out will be your "me" time, your stress relief, your energy boost...Either work out in the morning before your feet are tired, or take something mellow like a yoga class after work to help relieve your weary legs. The important thing is to take the time to move your body, regardless of how busy your schedule is. Don't let a busy schedule be an excuse for not taking care of yourself! :smooched:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    faythe I thought about you last night. I was getting ready to go walk and a tune caught my attn. I decided to warm up to the song and ended up not leaving the house. I danced for 45 minutes, adding cardio type exercises while doing it ( 3 lb weights for bicep, tricep, shoulders...squats for legs..etc)

It was the most fun I have ever had burning 286 cals and I am sore today!

Put that Ipod on baby, and dance the calories away!!:flowerforyou: