All you 5'8" ladies

Options

Replies

• LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I LOVE seeing this thread and (1) all of those short people who are like "Omg you're above 130!?! If I ever got to 130 I would hate myself!!!" can just go away, and (2) it's amazing the range of weights different bodies can be at the same height and ALL of them look healthy, fit, and beautiful! I have seen everything from 115 to 180 as goal weights for us 5'8"ish women - and I bet we will all end up looking strong and beautiful! Yay us!

I also have to share a story about goal weights and how it's ridiculous to choose an arbitrary number. One of the companies I apprenticed for was directed by a crazy woman who became director in the 80s, when anorexia was HUGE in the dance community. She made it her rule then that none of her female dancers could be more than 115 pounds (and she makes all of them weigh in, in front of her and in front of each other, wearing nothing but a leotard, every Friday). And, shockingly, she has to keep hiring shorter and shorter dancers each year...
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options

I also have to share a story about goal weights and how it's ridiculous to choose an arbitrary number. One of the companies I apprenticed for was directed by a crazy woman who became director in the 80s, when anorexia was HUGE in the dance community. She made it her rule then that none of her female dancers could be more than 115 pounds (and she makes all of them weigh in, in front of her and in front of each other, wearing nothing but a leotard, every Friday). And, shockingly, she has to keep hiring shorter and shorter dancers each year...
    Wow, that lady is CRAZY. lol. Poor dancers!
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'7" currently at 145, i was down to 125 and absolutely LOVED it but i also wasn't building muscle then. i'm targeting to getting down to 135 right now, and then once i hit that, i might try for 130 but it just depends on how my clothes are fitting and how my body's looking, because weight can be deceiving when you're gaining muscle, so i'll probably take to tape measurements after a while. i have a slim muscular build, with hips
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I LOVE seeing this thread and (1) all of those short people who are like "Omg you're above 130!?! If I ever got to 130 I would hate myself!!!" can just go away, and (2) it's amazing the range of weights different bodies can be at the same height and ALL of them look healthy, fit, and beautiful! I have seen everything from 115 to 180 as goal weights for us 5'8"ish women - and I bet we will all end up looking strong and beautiful! Yay us!

Down right CRAZY!!
  • RachelLR
    RachelLR Posts: 4
    Options
    hello everyone! hope you dont mind someone a bit younger joining in on this. I am almost 17 years old and about to start my junior year of highschool. I am about 5"7.5' and weigh around 170lbs. For about a year now I have been bacck and forth in my weight. I have been 157 although my goal has always been to be 140 or less. Dieting in high school just seems to be so much of a challenge and im hoping to find some good help with MFP... My family is very encouraging but my friends are more the oppoaite. They constatly tell me I do not need to lose any weight and are very firm in the belief that my weight is mostly in my chest area ( I do have a natural size 36 H, which is not all it cracks up to be, I promise). My main problem is that I can not seem to stick with the diet. I find myself eating foods I know are not good for me even though I know they wont help. I have tried tons of methods for my weight loss suchas group competitions, bribery from my parents, gym, zumba dance, etc. Nothing I seem to try really works out. Overall.my body size is about normal, excluding my..uh?. generous chest. I was just looking for advise anyone might be able to offer. Thanks for listening, and congratulations to all with their success and efforts in the long hard weight loss journey.
    Sincerely, Rachel L. R.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    155 to 160 is a good weight for me. I have a large frame and anything else is hard for me to maintain. Years ago I was that weight and I wore a size 9/10. I would have to almost starve myself to weigh under 155 pounds.
  • ElaKuz
    ElaKuz Posts: 49
    Options
    I AM LOVING THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 5'8.5" and all my life I've been over 200lbs... well, obviously at SOME point I was under, but my earliest memory is weighing 190 lbs in grade 7... I'm 256 now and dream of getting to 170 and it was VERY hard for em to fathom that weight until I found this site...

This thread has totally CEMENTED that it is possible...

I think I'm going to go and read it over again...

My goal is to get into a size 40 Dolce and Gabbana pair of jeans (30"waist)
    Right now I'm working on believing that can be done...

Amazing thread everyone, you gusy rock!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Currently my holy cow I'll be thrilled number is 180. I've got a large frame, and have been overweight since childhood, so it's a lofty goal, but one I'm looking forward to meeting. Even right now at still being above 300, I'm wearing a size 22 pant. So I'm curious to see what I can get down to (while building muscle).
  • scleve11
    scleve11 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm 5'8'' (obviously : )) and my ultimate goal weight is 145 for now. I am currently sitting around 175 - so 30 lbs to go. I want to be in better shape because I don't want to feel like I have to be on the sidelines. Good luck to all you ladies working hard!
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! It made my day to see this thread :happy: I've had so many people tell me that just because I'm 5'8" that I'm supposed to be heavier. I think they're just trying to make me feel better LOL I have quite a small frame like a lot of you have been saying (narrow shoulders/hips, small feet and hands) and when I was at my most active and healthy I was a steady 125lbs but over the last year I allowed myself to get in a major funk after getting laid off and an ugly break up and I am now 165lbs. My goal is to lose the 40 but I am being realistic about it and realize that I am almost 30 now and if I get to 130lbs and I feel good there I may stop.

BTW I am very new to MFP and am glad to add friends, especially people in the same sort of situation :smile:
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    5'8.5" lowest weight 128lbs but I just couldn't maintain it. 140lbs I'm comfortable with, so that's my goal this time. But I want definition. Had no tone at 128. Started at 180lbs, currently at 160. I have a very definite hourglass shape - 32GG boobs, relatively small waist ...don't have a big bum but carry a lot of weight on my thighs (grrrrrrr). By measuring my wrist I apparently have a 'medium frame' *shrugs* I have tiny hands and feet though - Uk size 4.5 shoe
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    hello everyone! hope you dont mind someone a bit younger joining in on this. I am almost 17 years old and about to start my junior year of highschool. I am about 5"7.5' and weigh around 170lbs. For about a year now I have been bacck and forth in my weight. I have been 157 although my goal has always been to be 140 or less. Dieting in high school just seems to be so much of a challenge and im hoping to find some good help with MFP... My family is very encouraging but my friends are more the oppoaite. They constatly tell me I do not need to lose any weight and are very firm in the belief that my weight is mostly in my chest area ( I do have a natural size 36 H, which is not all it cracks up to be, I promise). My main problem is that I can not seem to stick with the diet. I find myself eating foods I know are not good for me even though I know they wont help. I have tried tons of methods for my weight loss suchas group competitions, bribery from my parents, gym, zumba dance, etc. Nothing I seem to try really works out. Overall.my body size is about normal, excluding my..uh?. generous chest. I was just looking for advise anyone might be able to offer. Thanks for listening, and congratulations to all with their success and efforts in the long hard weight loss journey.
    Sincerely, Rachel L. R.

Rachel, welcome! High school is not nearly as fun as pretty much everything else afterwards, so don't stress too much about what your friends think now! (Easier said than done, I know...)

At 16, your body is still doing so many different things that I wouldn't worry about dieting. Instead, think about hiw you can make each meal healthier. Is there a way to add vegetables? Whole grains instead of white grains? Grilled instead of fried? For example, if you and your friends are out for pizza, see if you can get some sort of veggies on the pizza and/or whole wheat crust. These kinds of changes help you eat better calories and build a foundation that makes it easier to stick to fitness challenges!

Also, can you find a physical activity that you like (soccer, dancing, running, swimming, whatever) and set fitness goals for yourself? Like, if you can currently swim freestyle really well, can you get someone to teach you the backstroke and/or can you make your time for one lap faster?

These kinds of things to concentrate on are way more important than a number on a scale - which, as you can see from this post, can look very different on different bodies!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Rachel, welcome! High school is not nearly as fun as pretty much everything else afterwards, so don't stress too much about what your friends think now! (Easier said than done, I know...)

At 16, your body is still doing so many different things that I wouldn't worry about dieting. Instead, think about hiw you can make each meal healthier. Is there a way to add vegetables? Whole grains instead of white grains? Grilled instead of fried? For example, if you and your friends are out for pizza, see if you can get some sort of veggies on the pizza and/or whole wheat crust. These kinds of changes help you eat better calories and build a foundation that makes it easier to stick to fitness challenges!

Also, can you find a physical activity that you like (soccer, dancing, running, swimming, whatever) and set fitness goals for yourself? Like, if you can currently swim freestyle really well, can you get someone to teach you the backstroke and/or can you make your time for one lap faster?

These kinds of things to concentrate on are way more important than a number on a scale - which, as you can see from this post, can look very different on different bodies!
    Right on - this is full of all sorts of win =)
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and currently 145 lbs. I guess I have a medium frame and all of my weight seems to be in my hips, butt, and thighs. My goal weight is 125...but I would be happy at 130 lbs. As long as I'm toned and healthy, that's all that really counts.
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and currently 145 lbs. I guess I have a medium frame and all of my weight seems to be in my hips, butt, and thighs. My goal weight is 125...but I would be happy at 130 lbs. As long as I'm toned and healthy, that's all that really counts.

Me too!! I am 5'8" and 145 lbs with a goal of 125. I also have the weight in the same places- I quit smoking about 9 months ago and then for the first time in my life I was flabby....My goal is set at 125 and I am not stopping til I get there! I am pretty small boned and my upper body is in really good shape - its my butt that is REALLY bugging me - I bought a lot of very cool clothes in New York city last summer that I cannot even squeeze my butt into- actually nothing gets past my thighs. Its interesting to see such a variety of weights here...
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7, and currently weigh 172 pounds. (Starting weight 182.) I would like to see myself at 145 pounds, first and foremost, and go from there if I'm still not satisfied. I'm big boned, and pretty curvy. My waist is about 30 inches, and my butt/hips are 43! Talk about Kardashian. Yikes. :P I have really muscular legs because I run and bike a lot, but my ARMS are all flab, and I have a nice little belly pooch. Anywho, hope to see this change in the near future!! :)

If anyone would like to add me, feel free! We can continue our journey together since we are all in similar boats :)
  • arh0117
    arh0117 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I am currently 233. My pre-pregnancy wieght was 145-150 and that is ideally what I want to be back to. I am large framed and a "thick" girl, which basically means I have a big behind and big legs. I've never considered myself to be thin, but when I look back at my pics from before my first pregnancy I would give anything to be back to that. 150 is in the high-end of what is considered healthy for my height and age on the BMI scale so I am good with that. My most impotant goal is to be healthy. :) Good luck to you!
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8,5" and aiming for around 165-170, which has been healthy for me before; that includes being fit so having some muscle weight. I'm not sure about my frame...maybe medium.
  • RachelLR
    RachelLR Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks for the advise (: because my parents have been dieting too i find that doing those things has been easier (: lately i dont even eat white breads anymore thanks to them haha and as for.fitness.i do zumba dance, track, and marching band which maybe are not theee most active things but require more effort than one would think (: buti like the.ideañof seetting little goals involving «hose to boost my health (: thamks again ((:
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    im 5'8, but my goal weight is around 150- 160. that would be healthy for me i think seeing as im an athlete. ive been playing soccer since i was 7 so after 15 years and i have alot of muscle especially in the legs (like most people who play sports). i am at 178 now so about 20-25 pounds to go. i dont want to be too skinny, but i would like to be toned and strong. good luck=)

Exactly what she said.....