doubled my cardio and gained weight

Options
Its been 8 days now that i've been burning anything from 680 cals to 1000 cals a day. I'm eating 1200 to 1500 cals a day but i'm not losing weight.. In fact i've gained two pounds. WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING? lol... I've never worked so hard to just go backwards. Could this mean i may have a thyroid problem?

Replies

• stormyros
    stormyros Posts: 6
    Options
    are you drinking adequate water? and is it possible youve gained muscle weight?
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You are trying to kill yourself and your body won't let you?

Start weight training, do 45 minutes of cardio, eat. The weight will come off
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight due to the increase in exercise. That being said 1500 is not enough if you are burning 680-1000 calories per workout. That would be the same as eating 500 to 820 (1500- 680 or 1000) which is not enough fuel, so not eating enough may also be your issue with not losing.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    There is no way a woman can gain 2 lbs of muscle in 8 days.

OP - it really sounds like you're exercising too much and not eating enough. Why do you feel that you need to burn 1000 calories a day? If you're not eating your exercise calories back, your body is probably protesting the activity level and retaining water from muscle repair.
  • blesliemeow
    Options
    Sounds like your body is refusing to let go of anything you give it. EAT MORE! Try speeding up your metabolism not your workouts! :happy: Trust me!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Eat more and take a few days off. It's that simple. You are likely retaining water so your body can repair itself.
  • HeatherrSue
    HeatherrSue Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you're burning 1000 calories a day and only eating 1200 to 1500 a day, that leaves your body 200 to 500 to live off of. You're putting your body into starvation mode and its hoarding every calorie you put in your body. Slow it down, take it nice and easy and its going to come off for you. Besides, the slower you lose it, the higher the chance of it staying off. I used to do very intense workouts and last month I just walked, 4 to 7 miles a day and it equaled 133 miles for the month and I lost 9.6 pounds last month. That was my biggest month ever. The month I slowed down, stopped pushing so hard is the month it worked. I still incorporated weights and pushups and situps and lunges but slow and easy really is the key. Good luck in all you do
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    for what its worth, on the days where ive done two or three long runs in a row, i always weigh a couple of pounds more for a day or so after, and then it goes away after a rest. Its not fat, and its not muscle. Its just water weight and swelling from more exercise than youre used to.
    If you had a rest day or two, youd probably notice it go down again
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do 45 minutes of weight training 6 days a week and i am drinking more than enough water. I'm not skinny either i'm 132lbs and have been working out and doing cardio for 4 or 5 months now so i dont think upping my cadio could build enough muscle to make a difference on the scale. Its been a month now and I haven't lost any weight so i decided to do more cardio. Oh and yes my sodium is in check.

Whats TOM?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

haha terrible joke sorry. lol

You are building a machine there girl stop looking at the scale and take a look in the mirror. You look great.

Are you near or on TOM? Scale changes form e when i am also if it is really hot where you are you could be holding on to water weight. and how is your sodium? Are you keeping that in check?
  • ActiveTami
    ActiveTami Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree wtih ChantalGG... YOU are BEAUTIFUL!!! But do remember machines need fuel to work well. A lot of people have given you some great advice here. Keep up the great work and pay attention to your good result of that hard work too.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    TOM = Time of Month.

Plain and simple - you NEED to eat back your exercise calories, otherwise this happens. I know it might be hard to grasp at first - "eat more to lose weight?" - but it is VERY true and most people find this out the hard way (as seems to be your case).

It's fine if you go and work out as much as you are... but EAT MORE if you do!!!

You have to NET at least 1,200 calories otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and hoards your fat and water to keep you alive.

If you have a calorie goal of 1,200, and you work out to burn 1,000 calories, you should be eating AT LEAST 2,200 calories that day, so that you NET 1,200.

If you exercise as much as you do, your body needs to be refueled. If you take my suggestion, you will still have a large calorie defecit and still lose weight.

Like I said... many people find this out the hard way. But it is science and has been proven.
  • kassandra1717
    Options
    If thats the case then why didn't i lose any weight for the month I only burned 200-300 cals a day?
  • svetlana_vs
    Options
    Going back to times when I was heavily exercising, incl. weight training - with 45 min almost every day you can build up muscle weight. Especially if you eat a lot of proteins.

One thing that my fitness trainer advised me years ago when I was stuck with weight loss during heavy exercising was to have a "fat calory bomb" for a day or two: e.g. big quantity of sour cream with bread etc., so that you "deceive" your body, and it does "hopes" that this will continue and then starts losing weight better.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    There is no way a woman can gain 2 lbs of muscle in 8 days.

OP - it really sounds like you're exercising too much and not eating enough. Why do you feel that you need to burn 1000 calories a day? If you're not eating your exercise calories back, your body is probably protesting the activity level and retaining water from muscle repair.

^^^^^^
    THIS......!!!!

Eat a couple hundred more calories a day.... read the link in my signature - MFP basics
    Feed your metabolism.... not your hunger....
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Muscle takes quite a while to build (5lbs in 6 months is the high-end), and that's only IF you are eating excess calories.

It's hard to say exactly why you did or didn't lose weight back when you only burned 200- 300 calories a day without knowing all of the variables involved.

And yes, the thyroid may play a part in it.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If thats the case then why didn't i lose any weight for the month I only burned 200-300 cals a day?

Most likely because you were still lower than 1,200 calories... could also be other things such as water retention (watch that sodium!) or your body taking a while to adjust...?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

You were probably not eating enough then either. I'm not sure how much you have to lose but by looking at your profile picture I am assuming under 15 lbs. with that little to lose your weekly goal should only be 0.5 lbs/week and you should eat most or all of your exercise calories.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options

You were probably not eating enough then either. I'm not sure how much you have to lose but by looking at your profile picture I am assuming under 15 lbs. with that little to lose your weekly goal should only be 0.5 lbs/week and you should eat most or all of your exercise calories.

Yes, I remember checking your food diary back then and you weren't eating anywhere near enough. Don't be scared to eat more, just make it healthy choices. I also second erickribs advice to adjust your weekly goal to .5lbs/ week.
  • kassandra1717
    Options
    So turned out to be that time o the month haha. Guess that's prolly the problem. Thanks for everyones posts.