help with grocery shopping

Options
Can anyone give me any tips for food shopping. I am obsessed my carbs and need to give them up, not forever but minimise them greatly!!!

What would you buy. I dont want to go over 1500 cals a day, and need some filling foods thats not rabbit food!!! :laugh:

Replies

• sarahavery
    sarahavery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    anyone??
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs :smile:

My suggestions are veggies, salads, lower GI breads, oatmeal, brown rice and whole grain pasta, and to stay away from white breads/pastas/sugars.

Good Luck!
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree. I also eat carbs, in particular Orowheat Health Full breads and Barilla Plus pastas. They both have a LOT of fiber and protein and are super filling. The bread is also only 80 calories for a pretty big slice (i.e. the big rounded type of loaf rather than the little square kind).
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    My diary is open if you want to take a peek. I eat plenty of carbs but *try* to avoid highly processed ones.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs :smile:

My suggestions are veggies, salads, lower GI breads, oatmeal, brown rice and whole grain pasta, and to stay away from white breads/pastas/sugars.

Good Luck!

^^^This is me exactly. I'll never give up my favorite food - pasta! I eat my carbs daily and never had a problem taking off/keeping off the weight! I just control my portions and make sure to eat fewer refined sugars and more whole grains. I tend to limit my fats a little more, since greasy foods and high fat items irritate my digestive tract. But I wouldn't eliminate an entire food group. :drinker:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good as long as you have protein and fiber along with it. Try just cutting your servings in half. If you normally have a sandwich with 2 slices of bread, make one with 1 slice and then keep the extra protein that won't fit on the sandwich on the side... load up the sandwich with bell peppers, onions, leaf spinach, etc. For rice, try 1/2 cup instead of 1 cup and eat 4 oz of protein and 1 cup of veggies with it. The thing with carbs is you just need to make sure they're quality carbs. Eat whole wheat bread, whole oats with fruit for breakfast.

Some veggies are high in carbs so you can even get your carb craving that way. Carrots, corn, peas, baked potato (yes, it's a simple carb but they're also high in potassium and good for you -- my philosophy is, it's natural, why stay away? just don't eat one everyday!)
    2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    I have found this bread I love called Ezekiel bread. I like the Sesame buns. No preservatives or anything and gluten free, takes some getting used to at first, but I'm so obsessed! I use half of a bun and cut it in half, toast it and make sandwiches with it.(85 cals) So much better than all that other nasty low cal bread they sell in stores! Also my other fav snack is rice cakes. I use the "lightly salted original" made by Quaker only 35 cals and then I add a scoop of pb2 to it and its so good! I have a million yummy meals idea so just ask or look in my diary if you want more! GOOD LUCK! Keep up the good work:)
    2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    also try egg whites from a carton! 3/4 cup omelet is only 75 cals!!:)
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I still eat carbs - I'm oneo f those who thinks you need 'em! Check out my diary if you want, it might give you some ideas. :flowerforyou:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me any tips for food shopping. I am obsessed my carbs and need to give them up, not forever but minimise them greatly!!!

What would you buy. I dont want to go over 1500 cals a day, and need some filling foods thats not rabbit food!!! :laugh:

CHicken, all forms of meat really, avoid jerky due to sodium, string cheese, branch out of your veggies try steamed snap peas. Switch to whole grains, brown rice, whole grain breads, quinoa. Basically avoid the processed white stuff. There is also brown rice pasta (in the gluten free areas) which cooks faster (fair warning) and I have found to be more filling then white pasta. My mom makes a fiesta bean salad, remind me and Ill ask her for it when all this holiday stuff is over! Super healthy and its all beans corn peppers that kind of stuff. Nuts are always good, and you can them them seasoned, honey roasted, cocoa coated to satisfy all kinds of cravings. Granola is carbs but I love vanilla almond granola in my strawberry yogurt (lots of natural sugars though and a few processed sugars).
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I recently found this light style whole grain bread by Pepperidge Farms... 45 calories a slice! a regular slice of whole grain bread is usually 60 - 90 calories so x2 slices .. you're saving 30 - 90 calories a sandwich.. definitely worth trying! Of you could try P28 high protein bread.. 14 g protein per slice.. i used to eat them but it kept my calories high. i think they were 90 calories a slice.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I also eat carbs, but have lowered them...I buy 120 cal/per cup cereal, almond milk, brown rice, wraps (instead of bread slices), skip the croutons, I do still eat noodles, but very rarely. I mostly get my carbs from fruit and veggies, that's where my sugar comes from too...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The trick to grocery shopping is meal planning! Browse around some website for low-cal recipes (or buy a book). Plan a few meals, make a list. Grab some lunch stuff, like chicken and wraps (or cook enough for left overs). Grab some snacks: almonds, string cheese, fruit, veggies. Get some skim milk, low fat cheese (fat free is nasty), low fat salad dressing, either some green leaf lettuce and some salad makings, or bagged salad.

And don't go hungry!