Over on protein, under on carbs

Options
This is where my diet seems to naturally fall given my druthers. While I still stay within my calorie goals, I tend to eat more than the recommended amount of protein every day, and by quite a bit. So far it looks like I am averaging 150% of the recommendation.

Is this going to prevent me from reaching my goal? Do I need to cut back on that in order to be successful?

Replies

• Foxerlina
    Foxerlina Posts: 51
    Options
    I reckon you have got it spot on if I'm honest!!! x
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber are the two places you can definitely go over. Also, if you are exercising, you NEED more protein, but that doesn't increase when you add the calories you've burned into MFP.
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    Protein and fiber are the two places you can definitely go over. Also, if you are exercising, you NEED more protein, but that doesn't increase when you add the calories you've burned into MFP.

i think it does increase actually.. i know something does! cause one day i was over then i added my workout in and i was under [on carbs or fat or protein i forget what one]
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over on protein and fiber. I don't sweat going over on anything except calories, carbs, and salt.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you're going over on protein, you're either REALLY good at eating your protein or your percentage is too low. 25-30% protein, 25-30g of fiber.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests a very low amount of protein. I suggest editing your diet goals to 40/40/30. 40% carbs & protein and 30% fat.

Keep eating your protein. Your body loves it!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Nope - I plan to be over every day - my dietician suggests 1.5 to 2grams of protein per kg of body weight..... Depending on how much exercise you do.....
  • suadmaye
    suadmaye Posts: 10
    Options
    If you want to lose fat and not muscle, then stick to your proteins! :)
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Here is a great url to learn more about protein and they give a formula on how to figure it out.

http://www3.georgetown.edu/admin/auxiliarysrv/dining/nutrition/protein.html
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was so fast! Thanks, you guys. I appreciate the information. I'll keep doing what I am doing!
  • hajra123
    hajra123 Posts: 13
    Options
    eat protein rich foods that are also low on saturated fats is the way to go...

try tuna, egg whites, chicken breast or turkey breast and low fat cheeses (such as weightwatchers)

hope this helps!
  • vannie18
    vannie18 Posts: 55
    Options
    Good advice, I was wondering the same thing because I"m always going over. Thanks guys!!!! :wink:
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The science is that if your athletic you should consume .8 grams per pound of body weight. .4 for a sedentary person and to never exceed 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Pretty simple. I'm on 50Carb/25fat/protein. Somebody mentioned the zone diet at 40C,30F,30P. That would work too.