Biking to work, school, etc

Who does it, how long is your ride, and do you have any advice for someone just starting out? Actually, I'm not even starting out; I'm only in the process of considering it.

Work is eight miles away (one way), and there are no hills. I have a cruiser. Would it be best to get a lighter bike? Not that I can afford it at the moment, but it's something I might think about for future.

I plan on riding to work some weekend to time the ride and to get a feel for it. Obviously I'll have a better idea at that point whether or not I'd be up for doing it every day, but I was hoping to get some responses from people who have a similar distance to travel, and how long it took to get into the habit of doing it.

Thanks!

Replies

• 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    I have a very hilly 26 - 28k round trip, and it's only really practical on my road bike (a Scott Speedster S50 FB). I'd have given it a go on my (now-stolen) hybrid, but I'm not even prepared to attempt in on my heavier mountain bike.

However, if your route is on the flat, you shouldn't be facing any major problems with any sort of bike.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I bike to work just once a week now (Saturdays) because on the other days I have to bring my laptop and such. My trip is 8 miles one way, VERY hilly (I'm in SW Virginia). I have a nice Gary Fisher mountain bike and I just turn the shocks up all the way and keep my tires full to keep my bike more stiff like a road bike. I'm still slower than I would be on a road bike, but I sure don't pop my tires like they do! Over the schoolyear I'll bring my bike to work with me to bike to campus and between classes. It takes me about 50 minutes to go 8 miles.

I would say to start off with a shorter distance, say 4 miles. See how that feels. It it's easy, go 6 next time. I would definitely recommend getting a different bike...cruisers are pretty much just for leisure, not commuting. Look into a low-level road bike.

Your sit bones and lady area are going to be a bit sore after your first few long rides no matter how cushy your bike seat is, but that will go away after about a week.

Hydrate! :)
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    I've been doing it for a month and love it. Even on long work days (14-15 hours) when there is not a chance I am going to come home and exercise, I get my exercise done by riding to work and back.

My commute is about 5 miles each way, mostly downhill on the way to work and vice versa. I take a more direct, high traffic route to get to work because I keep a good speed. On the way home, I go for a longer, quieter route because big guys don't go fast uphill. There is one nasty hill on the way home that guarantees I get my heart racing. Oddly enough, the hill seems to be getting easier each time.

A cruiser should work on a flat route though you will likely want to upgrade when you can afford it. If you can fit it, put a rack on the back with a pannier (ditching the backpack makes for a less sweaty back) or a basket up front that can hold your bag. Also, a water bottle makes things more enjoyable.

Lastly, if you are going to be riding at all when it gets darker, buy lights. You can get the most basic of headlight and taillight for $10-$15. That's a small price to pay to avoid winding up a hood ornament.

Good luck, go for it and have fun. I wish I would have started years ago.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    As for my ride, I have a trek allant. It's a city bike, a hybrid with a nice upright sitting position and swept back handlebars for comfort. It's not going to win any races against road bikes but it's faster than a mountain bike, comfortable and a lot of fun. The 21 speeds give me lots of options for flying down hills and crawling back up them.
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Thanks for the responses everyone! :)

Sorry to bump this again, but I was wondering about fitness level. I recently got a job working in a warehouse (walking around a huge warehouse pulling orders, moving big boxes around, etc), so I bumped up my activity level from sedentary to lightly active. Once I start biking to work everyday, should I bump it up to active or very active?
  • Starrr126
    Starrr126 Posts: 90 Member
    I'm also curious if there is a lot of traffic where you commute and the time of day. I think 8 miles would totally do-able once you get into habit, but would it be safe? I worked even closer at one point, but it would have involved crossing a highway which didn't pan out. I also agree you would want to get a different bike at some point if it's habit. Not sure about the activity level thing...that might be your call based on how fast you're going/if it's really "working out" or just sort of leisurely travel.
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    I just biked to work for the first time today. it was awesome. It's about 6.5-7 miles one way, and mostly downhill going to work. I plan to just do it once a week or every once in awhile, as I can't be a sweaty mess every day (no place to shower, I use baby wipes to freshen up.)
    I did a trial run on the weekend to make sure I could handle the route and figure out the best options in terms of traffic.
    I am lucky in that most of the ride is on dedicated bike paths.
    I brought my change of clothes, toiletries, etc to work the day before so i didn't have as much to carry with me this morning.
    I have a Raleigh c30 which is a hybrid style bike. I will probably switch to a road bike the future but it is getting tuned up this week.
    I am training for a sprint triathlon so I need to get my bike training in!
    It felt GREAT to be out riding this morning! And it took exactly the same amount of time as my normal commute (I drive about 2 miles, park, and take the subway, then walk). Maybe even a few minutes less. WIN WIN!
    The ride home will be a bit rough as it is very hilly but I will survive!