Question for thos edoing the 30DS.

Options
What pound weights do you use? 2 pound....5 pound...I have no clue what to buy...I'm a total beginner, like the most exercise I've ever done is walking & elliptical.

Replies

• coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have 2.5 lbs right now, I could prolly do 5 lbs but they would wear me out. I know they make 3lbs weights as well. If you are worried I would go with the lightest and see if you can do more. A pair of weights of any size is better than no weights!
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    I'm def. not an expert but I had been using weights everyday for 6 weeks before I started 30 DS and I still had to use 3 lbs weights while doing it. I would start with 2lb if you have them and then move up if you feel like you can handle it. :) Good luck!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I just bought 30DS and with it got 1 and 1.5 kilo weights... 2 and 3 pounds. Not sure how I'm going to go - but I'm not that strong and also pretty pudgy at the moment! Starting Monday next week... Wish me luck!!
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I believe on the dvd cover it recommends 3lb weights. that's what I use!
  • kellybrownsays
    Options
    i didn't have weights when i first started 30DS. honestly, if you are just beginning working out, you dont even need the weights to get the benefits of the routine. its a hard workout w/o the weights. if you still want to use weights, start small and work your way up.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    3lbs!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I only have 5 lb weights and did my first day with them today. My arms burned so bad while doing the side lunges that I almost had to give up. I definitely recommend 2-3 lb weights.
  • reagansmom05
    Options
    ive been using cans of refried beans :) today i bought 5lb weights but i think i'm gonna die, or only use them half the time, or keep with the beans for a bit before moving up to the 5lbs. i should have bought 3lb ones.
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 10 (my last day of level 1) and I started with 3lb weights and struggled through some of the exercises, now (10 days later) I'm alternating between 3's and 5's. Mind you I have NO upper body strength, I was always a runner. But I use the 3's for the 1st strength circuit and those still kill my arms. I use the 5's for the 2nd strength circuit and I could probably use 8's for the 2nd circuit. I use 5's for the arm flies in the 3rd strength circuit and 3's for the side lunges with the arm raise's for the 3rd strength circuit because those also kill my arms.
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you're just starting out and don't want to buy anything yet then just use a couple canned goods for now until you know what size you want to get.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i didn't have weights when i first started 30DS. honestly, if you are just beginning working out, you dont even need the weights to get the benefits of the routine. its a hard workout w/o the weights. if you still want to use weights, start small and work your way up.

Agreed, my first three days I didn't have any weights at all and it was hard. Then I started with 2.5 and yikes!
  • jamleee
    jamleee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started with 3lb weights and struggled with some of the moves (like the side lunges in level 1) because the weight was too heavy for me. Now I'm on my second round/month of the 30ds and 3lbs feel paper light to me, so I've moved up to 5lb weights. I think I'll invest in 7 or 8lb weights next month.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 15, using 3 lb weights. I think I'm going to do a second round when I'm completely done, and I plan to bump it up to 5. There's no way I could do 5 this first round. :ohwell:
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i use 5 lb weighst with the 30 Day Shred video. It definitely burned when I first started doing it but if you get through it just once using the 5 lb weights then you can tell yourself the next time "I can do this! I've done it before!" Before you know it it won't be so hard and your arms will start to look amazing. :-)

If you do start with 3 lb weights, just make sure that you eventually challenge yourself to move up to the 5 lb weights. It will never be easy the first few times you do it but you have to push yourself to see great results!