Which brand of Branched Chain Amino Acids?

Options
If you currently take bcaa, which brand do you prefer and why? There are several out there and I'd love to hear some reviews from my pals vs just Amazon reviews. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    my BCAA's are included in my protein shake so i don't bother taking any extra as i take a shake after every work out. you can check out the reviews at www.bodybuilding.com as well. they're rated out of ten and include actual reviews as well.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    thanks... I love bodybuilding.com but never thought to look for reviews there! I personally just don't like drinking the shakes... just isn't my preference but I do the bars which I never get as much protein from but it's better than nothing I guess.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Pro Performance 1800 so I don't have to take a million of them. Prograde Nutrition claim they have the best. I'm not into bodybuilding yet, just losing fat and building muscle. Just started weight training so this is all new to me.
  • Fit_Rx
    Fit_Rx Posts: 16
    Options
    I take MRM's BCAAs since they are naturally derived from vegetables rather than animal protein. I try to avoid as many contaminants, pesticides, hormones as possible ...

http://www.mrm-usa.com/v2/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=120&category_id=14&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

The other company that is GREAT and you can choose animal or vegetable based - and totally customize it is ... True Protein ... and is it REALLY cheap ... If you opt for vegetable based go for the Ajipure line ...

http://www.trueprotein.com/custom_product.aspx

And as a side ... looking great ... impressive back muscle definition - keep up the great work!
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    Thanks Fit_Rx for the compliment and suggestions. Thanks Paul for the suggestions also. I'm going to check all of them out and hopefully can report some improvements over the next few months. :wink:
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but BCAA's are just a type of amino acid. Some of the essential ones, but if you are taking in a "complete" protein, like animal flesh, or whey protein all the BCAAs are included. Seems to me marketing hype trying to get people to buy product because it's better. "Our water is wet and provides hydration" kind of a thing.

Honestly though, I'm not super up on my supplement info. If anyone's got other info I'd love to hear it.
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but BCAA's are just a type of amino acid. Some of the essential ones, but if you are taking in a "complete" protein, like animal flesh, or whey protein all the BCAAs are included. Seems to me marketing hype trying to get people to buy product because it's better. "Our water is wet and provides hydration" kind of a thing.

Honestly though, I'm not super up on my supplement info. If anyone's got other info I'd love to hear it.

Google has lots of info... just looking for reviews of different brands... not a discussion on the merits of taking in supplements. Thanks!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    thanks... I love bodybuilding.com but never thought to look for reviews there! I personally just don't like drinking the shakes... just isn't my preference but I do the bars which I never get as much protein from but it's better than nothing I guess.

The problem with the bars is that most of them are so high in sugar and fat it negates any benefit you might get from them. I have them sometimes, usually on a saturday as my week's treat. I have a myoplex protein shake in the morning, vanilla, with some frozen strawberries and the progressive vegegreens powder and in the evening i have the BSN Syntha 6 shake in whatever flavour i'm trying this time. the BSN has 200 cals cause it's an MRP as well, and the myoflex only 120 cals and no fat and no sugar. You can't get that from a bar.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Google has lots of info... just looking for reviews of different brands... not a discussion on the merits of taking in supplements. Thanks!

Sorry, didn't mean to imply I had an issue with supplements. I use a why protein shake 2-3 times a day. What I meant to say that you shouldn't pay more for a bag that says it has BCAAs in it because ALL whey protein has BCAAs in it. Even soy protein has BCAAs in it.

As far as reviews go I really like the Premier Nutrition shakes, although they're more expensive than the powders. And I also like the Cytosport 100% Whey Protein powder, the vanilla tastes kinda blah to me, but the chocolate is really good if you like a slightly malty flavor.