Working my butt off but gaining weight?

Options
kjjm08
kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
So I've been on MFP [addicted ha] since June 15th, when I started eating more healthy and exercising. I am proud of myself because I have been sticking with it. I have been drinking at least 64 oz of water, staying within my calorie range [eating back calories] and working my butt off! I run everyday, with a min of 2.27 miles. I had lost 4 lbs but this week I noticed the scale has put me right back up to ABOVE my sw :(. It's really discouraging. So my question is this:

With all the running I am doing + other exercising....do you all think that I am more than likely muscle and not fat? I keep telling myself that it will even back out but after a life time of emotional eating, it's hard. :/ Thanks for any advice/help!

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It will even out don't worry. Keep doing what you know are the healthy things to do, and hide your scale for another month. It's very common to gain weight for the first month of a new exercise program. Step back on the scale in 6 weeks and be amazed. :-)
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 lbs after running a 10k. And after running hills one weekend, my pants were tighter around the thighs for a couple days afterwards.

Not sure if that's what's happening with you, but sometimes when I really push it with the exercise, my body retains (or even gains) weight for a few day. Just a thought.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    you could be gaining muscle...you need to take your body measurements. You cant always go by the scale.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps to make you feel better - check out the start of my journey!

Progress%252520with%252520pics.jpg

Lots of ups and downs on the way - I just stopped worrying about them. I know if I eat my target calories and I work out then I'll get fitter and thinner - so will you!
  • bondigirl
    bondigirl Posts: 4
    Options
    It sounds that you ere toning up and the fat is being replaced by muscle.
    Start taking your measurements once a month and you,ll most probably find that you are loosing. . Forget the scales.Keep up the good work
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it could just be a lot of water. When you push your muscles really hard, they hold water to compensate (muscles need water to fuel them which is one reason why you should drink water before, during, and after a work out - not just to hydrate yourself as far as being thirsty) so you could just be holding onto water while your muscles heal. Keep drinking lots of water (even more than 64 oz. would be good - I am for 120 oz per day!) and try to get more protein in. If you're not set on at least 25% protein, definitely change it. I think MFP's automatic setting is like 15% protein. Check it and change it!
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary, and unless you are not recording all that you are eating, you are way under on your calories most days. Maybe you could change your diary to track sodium as well, I see you eat a lot of processed foods. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Check out this link too, very helpful!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing
  • mrB21
    mrB21 Posts: 1
    Options
    Consult your Dr....I was maintaining a high weight unless I was starving and my doctor found it was my thyroid. Im in the process of getting treatment.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking a good look at your diet. Working out will cause some water retention as your muscles heal. Unfortunately you have not put on that much muscle as it is simply not possible (especially for women) without serious dedication and commitment to weight and strength training. However, water weight gain, time of month (TOM) and other factors are causing the weight to increase. Add lots of fruits and vegetables. Cut out most of the processed foods. Watch your sodium level like a hawk. Look to your food diary... the answer lies in there. Remember, weight loss will be 80% diet and 20% exercise. Learning how to eat balanced meals frequently throughout the day will be key. Good job on the water, that is also key! Good luck to you!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Take a look back in your food diary to Wednesday June 22, 2011. If most of your days looked like this, you would be rockin'!!! It sounds silly, but you do have to eat more to lose more. Unless you are not recording everything in your diary, 500-600 calorie days are not doing your weight loss any favors. You can do this!!!
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mikerp!!!! I mean everyone is different, but I go up and then down again and have the WHOLE time since I've been on here, and I am eating clean, exercising 6 days a week and not drinking alcohol.....it literally takes months to lose the weight....it is a loooooooong, slow process!!!!! It can be VERY furstrating but so worth it....keep up the great work...:o)
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice etc. I will definitely start watching things more closely. I do take measurements once a month so I am sure I will see a difference. I do have PCOS, not using that as an excuse because I know I am not perfect with my eating yet but that makes it hard to lose and my ex doc said to only expect to lose 1-3 lbs a month, which I think is crap personally.

I'm going to track sodium like it was suggested and eat more and more cleanly as well. :) I appreciate the help guys.
  • KandiGirl31
    Options
    Doctors aren't always right. I have PCOS and have lost up to 12lbs in a month (eating lots of protein, good carbs, drinking tons of water, and walking). I just started jogging during my walks and gained 5lbs in a week. I didn't freak. I just knew I had to modify something. I am drinking a lot more water and increasing my calories a little more. I've dropped 2 of those pounds since I weighed myself 3 days ago (so it's probably water weight). A lot of the advice you've received is correct...especially the diet. I lost 40+ lbs in 3 months because I ate more protein & vegetables & most of my carbs came from fruit and vegetables. Everyone's body is different, but if you have PCOS and are insulin resistant, then your protein should be equal to or greater than your carb intake. Don't stop eating carbs...I try to do 100 a day minimum and 250 max (on a workout day).
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    It's probabaly muscle. I weigh exactly what i did a year ago but i lost around 12 inches and 9%body fat. Scales aren't friendly to people who work out a lot. Tape measurers....they are my best buddy.