which would you use?

Options
I'm doing my second Zumba class tonight and I don't have a HRM yet. I'm looking at the calorie calculator on self.com and it says that for salsa/latin dancing I'd burn 361 calories in 50 minutes, but for vigorous aerobics I'd burn 555.

I thought that 361 seems a bit low because my elliptical said that I burned over 400 in 45 minutes of moderate to slow going without any added resistance, and my heart rate was sort of mid-range. I didn't believe that figure either but counted it as about 350 (probably overestimated ... )

Anyway, at the Zumba class I KNOW my pulse is way on up there because I literally HAVE to slow down from time to time.... fairly often really at this point.

Should I use the higher calorie count?

Dang it. I need a HRM but haven't saved up enough.... :grumble: :grumble:

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my second Zumba class tonight and I don't have a HRM yet. I'm looking at the calorie calculator on self.com and it says that for salsa/latin dancing I'd burn 361 calories in 50 minutes, but for vigorous aerobics I'd burn 555.

I thought that 361 seems a bit low because my elliptical said that I burned over 400 in 45 minutes of moderate to slow going without any added resistance, and my heart rate was sort of mid-range. I didn't believe that figure either but counted it as about 350 (probably overestimated ... )

Anyway, at the Zumba class I KNOW my pulse is way on up there because I literally HAVE to slow down from time to time.... fairly often really at this point.

Should I use the higher calorie count?

Dang it. I need a HRM but haven't saved up enough.... :grumble: :grumble:

Thanks for any advice!
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    When I get conflicting numbers like that, I always go in the middle of the road. I, personally, would log it as about 450 calories.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My gym elliptical shows more calories burned for me than my HRM. My HRM reads about 2/3 of the calories that my elliptical reads. Just FYI. Your's might be more accurate than mine, elliptical I mean.

I think I'd use the salsa dancing calories and stick with it. If you end up burning more than that, it's great, but without an accurate reading, I'd just stick to it so you don't end up eating calories you think you've burned but actually haven't. (Did you follow that, cause I almost lost my self! Convoluted sentences are my speciality!! :wink: )

BTW, my HRM is a Reebok and I adore it. Look around for deals, Polar isn't the only brand available, albeit one of the best. My Reebok was $20, found online.
  • tresa1234
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, y'all! I think I'll probably end up splitting the difference a little on the lower side since I usually fall short of eating all my calories by around 100 or so. What a balancing act! :laugh:

Lauryn, what kind of Reebok HRM do you have and does it count calories?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, y'all! I think I'll probably end up splitting the difference a little on the lower side since I usually fall short of eating all my calories by around 100 or so. What a balancing act! :laugh:

Lauryn, what kind of Reebok HRM do you have and does it count calories?

Reebok Precision XT

It does count calories. It comes with a chest strap. I adore it. The "watch" portion is bulky, but I only wear it while working out so I don't mind, and it's water proof. The chest strap is not, so the only drawback is you can't swim and count calories with this one.
  • tresa1234
    Options
    Thank you! I hate to swim, so that would definitely not be a problem!! I'm going to start seriously hunting for a deal, because I really would like to know how many calories I'm burning so I can eat the right amount ....