Goals While Melting In AZ

Options
Hi, I'm looking to feel better during the day, have more energy, lose some weight and most importantly eat better. I don't even know where to start to eat better. So far this site is helping me during the day, plus the exercise makes me want to stay on course. Looking for support here to make sure I don't quit and keep going. I tend to get bored with things and quit when that happens. As long as I see progress and know others are going through the same thing, that should be good motivation, so thanks everybody!

Replies

• shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! What helped me in the beginning is starting off slow. Slowly, start incorporating healthier foods into your diet. Try to eat out less. I get bored with things, too. Change up your workouts. Try something new-a new sport, running, etc. Look for new recipes and try new foods. These things have really helped me. Good luck to you! :happy:
  • flawedandfabulous
    Options
    Try these for snacking at work:
    Newman's Own Organics Hi-Protein
    These super-crunchy pretzels have 5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber per serving, giving this snack some staying power.

Per 22 pretzels: 120 calories, 5g protein, 22g carbohydrate, 1.5g fat (0g saturated), 4g fiber

They looked tasty and I have just added them to my grocery list. Really how can you screw up a pretzel. And these I have tried and they are tasty as hell:

Food Should Taste Good Multigrain
    This chip is just as delicious with salsa and guac as it is with cheese or hummus. Immerse in your favorite dip and enjoy.

Per ounce: 140 calories, 3g protein, 18g carbohydrate, 6g fat (0.5g saturated), 3g fiber

I pulled this recipe from this site and I love them. I have been eating them with 1 cup of fresh berries over the top.
    Mash about 2/3 of a medium banana in a small bowl. Add about a teaspoon of splenda and a few sprinkles of cinnimon (as much or as little as you like). Add 1/4 of a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Add 1/3 of a cup of egg whites (I use All Whites from the carton). Mix all of the ingredients together, and cook up the pancakes in a hot skillet as you would cook regular pancakes.

The whole thing is only 111 calories, so that's 18.5 calories per pancake!!! The whole batch is 111 calories, 20 carbs, NO FAT, and 9 grams of protein!!

Mix it up try something new everyday looking for winners and losers.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Trying to get in some exercise while not suffering from heat stroke is the trick here in AZ during the summer. I've taken to run/walking at 5am so it's not quite so hot.

I agree with the previous poster. Take it slowly. Change one thing at a time until you get it down and then add in something else.

Check out the Recipes section of these boards. There are lots of great ideas. Stir fry is fabulous. Cut down on the amount of rice and they are very low calorie. I've used Miracle Noodles with mine which have no calories and no carbs. My husband couldn't even tell they weren't regular glass noodles.

Drink LOTS of water. In our hot, dry climate, we need more than people who live somewhere cooler and more humid. 8 glasses of water each day is crucial. More is better, especially if you are working out.

Good luck and feel free to friend me, if you'd like.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    What sfoust66 said. You'll sweat so much here in AZ that you'll need to eat more salts and drink more water than normal. Especially now since it's humid out with the heat!
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! You are right! how can you screw up a pretzel? Thanks for pointing out this stuff!!