to the asthmatic walkers/runners out there...

Options
What do you all do in the summer? I am loving running/walking outside, but as it keeps getting hotter and thicker out it is getting harder to be out there without symptoms of asthma creeping through. I have a daily inhaler and a rescue inhaler, which I take a bit before working out. I try to get out either early in the morning or later in the evening, work schedule permitting.. I do strength training a few times a week indoors but I really don't want to give up my walk/runs. Any suggestions, tips etc would be much appreciated. thanks!

Replies

• randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I try to go out early morning or sunset, or pick a shady trail, though the deerflies are nasty. I don't know how bad your asthma is, but mine acually improved when I lost weight and got myself out of a toxic relationship. My allergist told me that emotional problems can manifest themselves this way sometimes. I rarely use my inhaler anymore.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I live in Atlanta and it is hot here! I run all times of day but most recently was running in the middle of the day training for a race. I use my inhaler before running and that seems to help a lot. Also, whenever I feel it getting a little harder to breathe I take a walk break and take some deep breaths. I only do this for a minute or so and then start back jogging at a slow pace.

Mine has actually gotten better but I notice it worse in the afternoon. Also, if you have allergies try taking some 24 hour claritan at night (allergy pills make me sleepy so I like to take it at night). Being congested also aggravates my asthma. Good luck!