Workout DVD Suggestions

Options
Hi everybody!

So as the weather gets hotter and more humid, the motivation to walk outside is waning... Thus, I'm going to have to find some alternates inside so that I can keep my exercise schedule going. Wondering if anyone could suggest some good DVDs for both cardio and strength training... I'd like to start mixing it up. I used to have a Denise Austin dvd that I loved, but in my many moves, it somehow got lost in the shuffle :(

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Replies

• Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had the biggest looser boot camp its very good but I also lost it. Right now I'm doing Turbo Jam from Beach Body, it has cardio, a bit of weights and Ab workout, I'm really getting into it. I have seen a lot a good reviews on the 30 Days Shred (Jillian Micheals). Good Luck!
  • RaineEstrella
    Options
    I've been using Davina Body Buff and Super Body Workout. They're both great for both cardio and strength training. Each has different cardio workouts that you can do either both or a single one. Also they have separate sections that focus on arms, core, legs and abs. It's a good DVD as you're able to select what you want to do and can mix it up as to how you feel.
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    Were you able to get the DVDs in a local store or did you have to buy them online?

Also, I don't have much equipment, just some hand weights, so would like to find some dvds that use minimal equipment..

Thanks! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why not just buy another Denise Austin DVD? She is great.

But I love and would recommend Zumba! I've always had DVD workouts on hand but I think Zumba is the most fun I've tried. There is not a lot of strength training for the upper body, but it's great for cardio and toning your abs.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I use walk away the pounds which I love, but I am also looking for some others to change it up with. I have a few biggest loser ones, one is called cardio max I forget the other one but it's too hard for me...I can't keep up. Maybe when I lose some more lbs!
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Try your local library for renting some. Jillian Michael's Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism doesn't use any equipment not does it take up much space and it's an intense workout.
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    I have quiet a DVD collection for these hot months as well. My go to faves are: Tae-Bo, Turbo Jam Beach Body, Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred. All of which can be purchases ~10 bucks at Target or Walmart & use very minimal equipment--just a set of hand weights.

Hope you find some you like!!
  • lucasmum
    lucasmum Posts: 7
    Options
    Can't recommend Jillian Michaels highly enough. Any of hers would be good but 30 Day Shred has a nice mix of cardio & strength, and it's only 20 minutes long. It is tough though and you need to do it every day. Her others (I only know the ones available in UK) are No More Trouble Zones (50 mins, mostly strength training), Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (50 mins, cardio stuff) and 6 Week 6 Pack (mixture, 35 mins per level). Go on, you won't regret it!
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheal 30 day shred, I LOVE it. Its challenging and fun and i actually look forward to doing it :)

I also really enjot the DVD from Crunch fitness, they have a lot of variety, and anything with the instructor Ellen i highly recommned. You can buy both at chapters and amazon, but i got my Crunch DVD on ebay for about 8$ (can)

If you search 30 day shread on you tube people have posted the video so you can try it before you buy it (i did and fell in love with it)

Have fun and Good Luck :)
  • jazzminx
    jazzminx Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use the 30 Day Shred, which is a good strength, cardio, and ab workout. All that's needed is hand weights and a mat. The video was about $10 at Walmart. I'm thinking about getting a few other Jillian Michael's video's.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Would also like to add Bob Harper's Weight Loss Yoga to the list.
  • sammm622
    sammm622 Posts: 4
    Options
    any dvds by jackie warner..30 minute xtreme timesaver..xtreme crunchless abs..40 minute total body circuit..i use them all and mix it up and its wonderful!
  • nburns325
    Options
    Great suggestions - Thanks to all! I will have to go tonight and see what I can all find... I'd like to kick it into high gear (literally, ha!) tonight!!!
  • o0amber0o
    o0amber0o Posts: 5
    Options
    I LOVE Crunch Cardio Dance Blast with Maria Forleo. I have a lot of fun doing it and I find it's one of the few dance DVDs that I can easily follow and keep up with. It's a great beginner DVD and it's about a 45 minute work out.

Netflix has a lot of fitness DVDs that you stream through their "Watch Instantly" service that one included. They also have your general DVDs you can request that are more mainstream like the Biggest Loser/Jillian Michaels DVDs or the Dancing With The Stars videos (those in particular I find hard to follow).
  • nburns325
    Options
    I LOVE Crunch Cardio Dance Blast with Maria Forleo. I have a lot of fun doing it and I find it's one of the few dance DVDs that I can easily follow and keep up with. It's a great beginner DVD and it's about a 45 minute work out.

Netflix has a lot of fitness DVDs that you stream through their "Watch Instantly" service that one included. They also have your general DVDs you can request that are more mainstream like the Biggest Loser/Jillian Michaels DVDs or the Dancing With The Stars videos (those in particular I find hard to follow).

Maybe I should have mentioned I needed a beginner dvd too, ha, so this is a great suggestion! I don't want to kill myself and then not be able to do anything! ;) Thanks! :)
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Anything by The Firm is amazing! I'm currently really loving The Wave and 20 Minute Weight Loss Solution.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Check out Insanity.

The name says it all, but you can work at your own pace and only need weights for one of the bonus weight training vids, the rest comes from your own body weight.

I am only using the weight training video at the moment and am seeing some fantastic results after just a couple weeks of hitting it every 3-4 days.

It's a bit expensive though, you can probably find it for far less on eBay.
  • Shannon1023
    Shannon1023 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Jillians 30 day shred is a good one and only suggests small hand weights... 3 levels of 20 min workouts. I like turbo jam too... Dance and kickboxing... Depending on the DVD, workouts range from 20-60 min (if I'm remembering correctly... Its been awhile :)
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hey im starting 30 day shred in a few days when my dvd arrives in the mail if you want to start that, us knotty girls can accomplish that at the same time :)
  • nburns325
    Options
    Hey im starting 30 day shred in a few days when my dvd arrives in the mail if you want to start that, us knotty girls can accomplish that at the same time :)

Sweet! We should see if anyone else is up for it!!! :) That'd be fun!