OT But stressing out and want sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• monica5237
    Options
    I had a boy but maybe try this. You said she tells you when she has to go. So take her to the potty and while she is setting there, take yours and her mind off what she is doing by running the sink water. Hearing the sound of water makes people think they need to go. Clean the sink or something or the bathtub. Just busy yourself by doing something with water running. That may take the stress off of both of you since your not standing there just waiting for her to go. You know the saying a watched pot never boils. :bigsmile:

Great Idea
  • clswinehart
    Options
    Why stress out? I believe that as long as my child is done with bottles, binkies, and diapers by the time he/she starts school, we are doing good. Some kids are ready physically, but not emotionally and some are the complete opposite. We struggled and struggled with my middle son, but then I decided to wait until he was ready and when he decided it was an overnight thing. Kids are all different. They'll let you know.
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the ideas. We are trying the panties. she did pee on the floor but stopped when she realized nothing was catching the pee. We finished on the potty. We also did the potty song and once she was wiped up we did the dance.:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Something I don't think anyone mentioned... I had a hard time just trying to get my daughter to sit down and try to go so I would ask her stuffed animals if they had to go and would pretend that they would go too. After doing that my daughter always came in the bathroom so she could go to.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    children look for power where they can find it. If you show them that toilet practices are a potential source of power for them, they'll take it. You have to give them all the power you can in safe areas (dressing & personal styling, which utensil to use, which pj's and so on and so on) and if something has potential to be a power struggle as potty training does, if you can't fundamentally control it (and you can't since you can't physically control your child's muscles) don't get into the power struggle in the first place.
    Why did you decide your child was ready? You don't need to answer that out loud, but considering the real answer is important. In almost every case, if we do nothing as parents to "train" our children to use the toilet, they will do so in good time. Children know that the other family members use the toilet and as social creatures part of our developmental programming is to emulate the social rituals with which we are familiar. Once a toddler is old enough to recognize that they are pooping or peeing in their diaper you can mention once every couple of weeks or so that when they feel like it, they can use the toilet for that too if they want. That's about as far as you should push it. Beyond that you're just setting up the classic toilet training battle. Coercing and embarrassing a child serves only to disrupt their trust in you and that is purely unproductive and destructive to their confidence and sense of emotional freedom in their home and family. People are easily caught-up in worrying what people may think if Johnny is still wearing diapers at age 3. That can't be part of it because it's about your child.
    I hope you find something that works for all of you! :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    We would sit the potty in the living room for my daughter (she was the only child) and let her sit on it for a little longer than we would if we were stuck in the bathroom - also we'd throw fruit loops in and tell the kids to Pee on the red one or green or whatever color we threw in there - it was a color game at the same time.
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Make going to the bathroom just a matter of fact activity. Every hour or so, say, "Okay, it's time to go sit on the potty." Have her sit there for a few minutes each time and chances are one of the times you have her sit, she'll go. If you ask her if she has to go to the bathroom and only have her sit on the potty when she says yes, you might miss when she really does have to go. She might be ready to potty train and "know" when she has to go to the bathroom. But she might not be fine-tuned on recognizing the signals in time.

Also, don't let her see you getting stressed out. It will either stress her out too and make training harder or she'll realize the power she holds over you and use it to her advantage.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I had a boy but maybe try this. You said she tells you when she has to go. So take her to the potty and while she is setting there, take yours and her mind off what she is doing by running the sink water. Hearing the sound of water makes people think they need to go. Clean the sink or something or the bathtub. Just busy yourself by doing something with water running. That may take the stress off of both of you since your not standing there just waiting for her to go. You know the saying a watched pot never boils. :bigsmile:

I just gotta say...Boys are SOOO much easier to train (in my humble opinion). My daughter was a handful. But I only have one and she was the oldest so maybe it was just me and no experience. I started training her when she was two, mostly because of the pressure from my MIL. She really wasn't ready yet and that's probably why it did take so long. Finally, I discovered that just taking her to the bathroom 30min. after eating or drinkiing anything was what worked for her. And I agree with the whole running the water thing. Heck, that still works on me. Funny how I don't feel the need to go, but as soon as I start washing that 3rd or 4th dish in the sink...I gotta go right then. lol :laugh:

By the time my oldest son was ready, I was a single mom and I didn't want to have anything to do with potty-training him. So I decided that I would just let him figure it out on his own. It was kinda cute. He would watch me, he would watch his sister and the next thing I knew, he was sitting on the toilet backwards and doing it all by himself and was completely trained before his 3rd birthday.

My youngest son had his father around to help out so I didn't even bother. :tongue:
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    thank you toall! we have moved the potty chair into the living room and she has gone every time with small acidents at first but she is learning. Pull ups are gone (only at bed time) and real panties we have!
    thanks again.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the ideas. We are trying the panties. she did pee on the floor but stopped when she realized nothing was catching the pee. We finished on the potty. We also did the potty song and once she was wiped up we did the dance.:flowerforyou: :wink:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! And omgosh how cute are they?!?!:laugh: ahhhhhhh makes me want a baby!:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    It's funny this was brought up b/c I've been think about starting to potty train my son. He is only 18 months right now but smart as a whip! He tells us when he has to poop but I'm not so sure he would know when to tell us about his peepee. I am pregnant right now and am due right around my son's 2nd birthday. The thought of having him potty trained so I don't have two in diapers makes me want to cry (HAPPY TEARS!). My family thinks I'm crazy to try to train an 18 month old. My questions are:

How early is too early?

I've heard boys are harder than girls, is that true? Or is it just up to each individual kid?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    It's funny this was brought up b/c I've been think about starting to potty train my son. He is only 18 months right now but smart as a whip! He tells us when he has to poop but I'm not so sure he would know when to tell us about his peepee. I am pregnant right now and am due right around my son's 2nd birthday. The thought of having him potty trained so I don't have two in diapers makes me want to cry (HAPPY TEARS!). My family thinks I'm crazy to try to train an 18 month old. My questions are:

How early is too early?

I've heard boys are harder than girls, is that true? Or is it just up to each individual kid?

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

I don't think its too early if he's telling you he has to go! Usually they pee on the potty before they poop but all kids are different so you never know! I started potty training when I was 16-18 months old. My parents had my older sister using it and I just started copying her. Everyone is different, if he's ready he's ready. Just be patient with him, might take awhile to get it perfect. :flowerforyou:
  • angelica1983
    Options
    This has been a reoccurring thing with my 2 1/2 year old son. All I can say is mom you need to keep your patience ( i am sure you do!), I know it is frustrating as heck!! We keep a small box of his fave books next to his potty and just let him chill there on his potty..naked..with books. Eventually something comes out!:happy: He was potty trained for a few weeks and then decided to go in his pants...that just confused the crap outta me. I guess it is just really up to the child. We just gotta wait and be patience til our lil ones are truly ready. Funny thing my son actually peed in the toilet today..then peed on my bed! So ya..lol maybe my advice isn't helpful!!:laugh: A good incentive is to buy her a few of her fave character panties and not open them until the accidents stop. After him pooping in so many that I have had to toss I decided this. He really wants to wear his Power Ranger undies. Any how good luck!