How many calories burnt in a body attack class

Options
I was just wondering if anybody knew how many calories were burnt in a Body Attack class?

I always log it as aerobics high impact but this burns less calories than jogging and usually i'm completely knackered after a class but i'm ok after jogging.

Replies

• leannegunn
    leannegunn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have heard several different estimates about how many calories are burned, so I am wondering the same thing. Like you, I get a far better workout in BA than jogging, so I find it hard to believe that it would fall under the typical "high impact aerobics" category. Anyhow, my search of the internet has shown estimates ranging from ~400 to ~800 calories a class, depending on how hard you go that class and your height/weight/fitness level.

Best bet I am finding is to wear a heart rate monitor (which is a good idea anyhow) and calculate your calories burned from that. I think this is what I might do because 400-800 is quite a large range, and how hard I work can vary day to day (depending if I am teaching a class, practicing in my living room, etc). Hope this helps!! :)
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40 HRM and have found that my calories burnt in Body Attack have decreased significantly over the past couple of months...during which time I've lost 26 pounds and gotten in much better shape! I'm almost 40 (a few more weeks of my 30s left!), 5'4" and currently weigh 148. When I was in the 160s I was burning about 600 calories per class, but it's been dropping little by little as I've lost weight and now I'm in the 475 to pushing 500 calorie range per class. I'm BEAT after Body Attack, but can't quite hit 500 calories anymore. On the flip side, if I hit the treadmill for 50 minutes (running 40 of those 50 minutes), I can burn 500 - 525 calories. So I DO burn more with 50 minutes on the treadmill than I do after a 55 minute Attack class. BUT - my heart rate is consistently in the 150 - 155 range while I'm running...and it fluctuates all over the place in Attack - sometimes setting off my HRM alarm because I've gone over my max HR, but sometimes dipping below 130.

Anyway - not sure if that's of ANY help (LOL!), but that's been my experience! :-)
  • stefstorer
    Options
    The answer is an average of 750. According to les mills, the program operator. It can be anywhere from 600-1000 but the average person burns 750 if you are going hard and choosing all the high options. I teach body attack and my calorie counter tells me I'm burning around 840 per class depending on the release I choose. The newer the release, the harder you work as well. :)

Happy Attacking!
  • harajuka_girl
    Options
    The less you weigh, the less calories you burn doing the same activity. This is because you are carrying around less weight, which requires less work. It's also why it' gets harder to drop weight as you get smaller.