Help, Low Blood Pressure?

Options
JeffGDDG
JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
Hi. I am on meds for slight high blood pressure and have been for about 5 years now. This year I have lost 40+ pounds and started exercising regularly. I am trying to build up to running a 10K in September.

Anyways, today I jogged 4 miles for the first time. I was indoors at the gym and did half on the track and half on the treadmill. I was light-headed after I finished though and just soaked with sweat. I sweat a lot so that part isn't unusual. And I have been getting a bit light headed the last few months when sitting up or standing. I just try and take it slowly and it seems like no big deal. Today the lightheadedness after jogging is taking a long time to go away.

When I got home I took my blood pressure. It was like 70/56. A few weeks ago I took it randomly and it was maybe 115/72.

Do I need to be worried? Or from what I can see on the internet maybe I am just dehydrated?

Thanks

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Sounds as though you should see your doctor soon. Your BP may have come down enough through exercise and weight loss that your meds need adjustment. But your doctor should make that decision.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Sounds as though you should see your doctor soon. Your BP may have come down enough through exercise and weight loss that your meds need adjustment. But your doctor should make that decision.

Agree...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    115/72 is a very healthy BP. 70/56 sounds pretty low. I assume you are still under the care of a doctor so you should definitely check with him/her. It may have been a one time thing caused by any number of factors, or you may need your meds adjusted due to the weight loss. This is especially true if your BP med is a diuretic and you've reduced your sodium intake as part of a healthy diet and/or are sweating a lot more due to increased exercise. It is possible to have blood sodium levels that are too low. Either way it's best to get the opinion of a health care professional familiar with your history.