Is milk bad for me?

Options
2»

Replies

• dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    People were drinking diary long before there was an FDA to have an opinion. People also drank dairy long before obesity was epidemic. Eat less, move more.

i want 'like' button here
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Here my thought; if you do a good search on “Is milk good for you?” you will be provided with a boat load of websites reporting how bad milk is. To me this translates to drink up.

Same goes for saturated fat and cholesterol. Study after study has been done stating that saturated fat is not evil and dietary cholesterol does not affect serum cholesterol, yet everyone still says they are both bad for you (even doctors). I have a high saturated fat and high cholesterol diet, and my cholesterol and triglycerides are well within normal and are actually lower than two years ago.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Too much protein is the main culprit, not milk specifically. There are multiple medical studies that have found that high protein diets leach calcium from the bones over time, which can lead to osteoporosis, kidney stones, and other calcium related health issues. I was vegan for many years and still eat mostly vegetarian, but that's because that diet works for ME, my specific medical conditions, my lifestyle, etc. I don't think any one diet works for everyone. As long as you aren't consuming a LOT of dairy, I don't think you really have to worry about it. Everything in moderation.
  • sarskin
    sarskin Posts: 11
    Options
    Milk is not bad for you....the FDA and doctors said a few years back that butter is bad for you and margarine was the way to go. Now they say that butter is better for you then margarine. So if you listen to everything they tell you, then you will be running around with your head chopped off.
    Milk is good for you, just in good portions. Too much of anything is a bad thing. Just try to go for the less fat milks, or the natural (organic) milk. You need the calcium that is in there. There are too many people that are drinking more pop and getting bone diseases because they don't receive the calcium needed.

Did you know that if you drink one glass of Coke a day your body cannot recieve calcium???

MILK DOES THE BODY GOOD!!!! Don't listen to everything everyone says. Natural is best!
  • paulmg1234
    paulmg1234 Posts: 37
    Options
    Too much protein is the main culprit, not milk specifically. There are multiple medical studies that have found that high protein diets leach calcium from the bones over time, which can lead to osteoporosis, kidney stones, and other calcium related health issues. I was vegan for many years and still eat mostly vegetarian, but that's because that diet works for ME, my specific medical conditions, my lifestyle, etc. I don't think any one diet works for everyone. As long as you aren't consuming a LOT of dairy, I don't think you really have to worry about it. Everything in moderation.

Yes, that reminds me about the documentary showing that the countries with the highest amount of milk consumption (i.e. protein) also have the most cases of osteoporosis and hip fractures.
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Here, we have summarised the pros and cons so whatever your choice, you can be as informed as possible.

Pros

•For people who can't tolerate milk or lactose which is in dairy products, soya is an alternative. Soya milk contains nutrients found in normal milk, including calcium.
    •Soya is thought to be good for the heart. It's believed the lower incidence of heart disease in China and Japan may be linked to the amount of soya in Far Eastern diets. Isoflavones, a type of plant-oestrogen in soya, are known for their strong antioxident properties which may help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and soya is a source of soluble fibre which may help lower cholesterol levels.
    •The risk of breast cancer could be reduced after research showed those who ate soya-rich diets have less 'high-risk' dense breast tissue, thought to be due to the plant-oestrogens. Previous research has shown the fewer menstrual cycles a woman has in a lifetime, the lower the risk of breast cancer and eating soya also appears to lengthen the menstrual cycle.
    •Soya could protect against osteoporosis, the brittle-bone condition which usually affects women after the menopause.
    •Soya milk with its plant-oestrogens is often a recommended natural alternative which many menopausal women swear by to balance hormones, as controversy surrounds HRT. Studies found Japanese women suffer less menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes than Western women.
    •Men could be protected against prostate cancer by eating soya, according to scientists in the US.
    •Soya could help your diet because it's low in saturated fat and cholesterol free. It has also been suggested the plant hormones can fight obesity and diabetes.
    •Other benefits could be a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease, it may help your memory and could protect men from going bald.
    Cons

•Your periods might be affected. Women fed soya formula as babies could experience long and painful periods, according to a study. A woman drinking two glasses of soya milk a day may see her menstrual cycle alter.
    •Men's fertility could be affected. The more soya a man eats, the more difficulty he will have in fertilising an egg, was the conclusion of Dr Lorraine Anderson who discovered sperm moved slower when the liquid surrounding it contained female-like hormones. In animals, large amounts of female-like plant hormones have been shown to reduce fertility. When marmosets, (small monkeys) were fed soya milk formula in a study it suppressed their testosterone levels. Pregnant women in the US were advised by scientists to avoid soya after tests on rats suggested a chemical in it could damage unborn boys' reproductive organs.
    •Children with a cow's milk allergy could become sensitive to soya if they are fed only on baby soya milk.
    •Mothers are advised not to feed babies soya milk baby formula as their sole source of food before six months, except on medical advice. This recommendation came from paediatric experts and the Government following the working group report. After six months, babies are generally eating solids and the risk is considered not so great. Sue Dibb, senior policy officer of the National Consumer Council, advises parents to be cautious. "You're giving the baby a dose of a hormonally active substance at a time when babies are developing. That is a concern even when the evidence is not very clear cut," she says.
    •Eating soya for a long time can suppress the working of the thyroid gland, which is associated with metabolism, according to research.
    •There is some evidence plant oestrogens can encourage the growth of oestrogen-dependent breast cancer.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The whole reasoning behind milk and carbs being bad for you is that they really aren't part of our "natural" diet. Humans actually ALL used to be lactose intolerant. However, over years we became immune to it (because apparently we couldnt get enough). Technically everyone who isn't lactose intolerant contains a mutagenic gene so thatwe are now able to process all forms of dairy. Basically: Drinking it won't kill you, but you don't need. I rarely drinking milk and my calcium levels are perfectly fine!( Yes I do get my nutrient levels checked regularly by the doctor)
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    After watching "Forks Over Knives", I read "The China Study". Then I went on to investigate opposing points of view. From the research and evidence presented, I am convinced that dairy products are unnatural for our systems. You don't need to ask your doctor to do research and read studies. In fact, most doctors are not taught any nutrition in school. They are here to treat our ailments and help us live with our diseases, but they don't do much to prevent them.

The dairy industry has representatives on all the food boards and they have engrained themselves into the educational institutions, including our schools. They tell us that we need dairy as an ideal source of calcium to build strong bones. What they don't tell us is that the countries in the world who have the highest incidences of osteoporosis are also the countries that consume the highest amounts of milk. Calcium from a plant-based diet is far more effective in our biology than calcium from an animal-based product.

I thought that I could never give up dairy, eggs and especially cheese. It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought and the positive changes were almost instant. I had more energy, sped up my metabolism, and my hair doesn't get oily anymore. My skin is clearer than it ever has been. The best part is that my tastebuds have reawakened and now healthy food tastes wonderful. I lost my cravings for junk food and binging. It feels so nice to be in control again.

I cannot believe it was so much easier than I thought it would be. If you need to fulfill a craving for cheese or dairy products, they make a substitute for everything. My children LOVE the soy-based ice cream sandwiches just as much as the real thing. I stay away from them just because I am trying to keep my fat and sugar intake to a minimum, but I want to have occasional treats for my kids and still keep them healthy. My milk-aholic 7 year old is now discovering the joys of chocolate almond milk and vanilla soy milk.

Do your research and read all views. For me, the evidence became pretty overwhelming and I could no longer ignore it.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    The only type of milk I'll drink is hemp milk. I have heard from a few people who research a lot of it (not scientists or anything, just people very involved with health and fitness) and they said humans don't need cow milk. He mentioned something about humans being the only ones to drink milk after infancy or something along those lines. Basically saying, after breast milk, we really have no need for milk and that it really isn't that great for us. A few years ago I had to stop drinking milk due to randomly becoming lactose intolerance, which was weird because I usually always had milk and I can still have any type of dairy product, except milk. If you do decide to stop dairy all together, just take it one step at a time. Don't stop all at once or it won't last.
    I've seen cows drinking milk years after they were supposed to be weaned, sneaky cows :P
    Generally the reason mammals stop drinking milk is not because it stops being good but more because mummy says "leave my tits alone! You've had enough!". Sometimes mummies are just too passive and let their kids drink on for years as in this human case:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxv6R9fUO74
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The protein deteriorates bone thing sounds fishy to me. If true, wouldn't the bodybuilders chugging buckets of isolated milk proteins be snapping bones left and right? Tests show bodybuilders have denser bones than average persons.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Milk isn't "bad" for you. If you have lactose intolerance (like me), you'll probably want to have very little of it in your diet. The debate over dairy is the same as with so many other foods (coffee! eggs! too much soy!)...it's a food group that has nutritional value for your diet. It may (or may not) have some cons, too. Enjoy it in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    After watching "Forks Over Knives", I read "The China Study". Then I went on to investigate opposing points of view. From the research and evidence presented, I am convinced that dairy products are unnatural for our systems. You don't need to ask your doctor to do research and read studies. In fact, most doctors are not taught any nutrition in school. They are here to treat our ailments and help us live with our diseases, but they don't do much to prevent them.

The dairy industry has representatives on all the food boards and they have engrained themselves into the educational institutions, including our schools. They tell us that we need dairy as an ideal source of calcium to build strong bones. What they don't tell us is that the countries in the world who have the highest incidences of osteoporosis are also the countries that consume the highest amounts of milk. Calcium from a plant-based diet is far more effective in our biology than calcium from an animal-based product.

I thought that I could never give up dairy, eggs and especially cheese. It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought and the positive changes were almost instant. I had more energy, sped up my metabolism, and my hair doesn't get oily anymore. My skin is clearer than it ever has been. The best part is that my tastebuds have reawakened and now healthy food tastes wonderful. I lost my cravings for junk food and binging. It feels so nice to be in control again.

I cannot believe it was so much easier than I thought it would be. If you need to fulfill a craving for cheese or dairy products, they make a substitute for everything. My children LOVE the soy-based ice cream sandwiches just as much as the real thing. I stay away from them just because I am trying to keep my fat and sugar intake to a minimum, but I want to have occasional treats for my kids and still keep them healthy. My milk-aholic 7 year old is now discovering the joys of chocolate almond milk and vanilla soy milk.

Do your research and read all views. For me, the evidence became pretty overwhelming and I could no longer ignore it.

Everything affects people differently. What works for you, might not work for someone else. My sister went hardcore vegan. 6 months later, she was having all kinds of problems. Went back to a "vegetarian", and she got better quick. She just gave up red meat.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The only type of milk I'll drink is hemp milk. I have heard from a few people who research a lot of it (not scientists or anything, just people very involved with health and fitness) and they said humans don't need cow milk. He mentioned something about humans being the only ones to drink milk after infancy or something along those lines. Basically saying, after breast milk, we really have no need for milk and that it really isn't that great for us. A few years ago I had to stop drinking milk due to randomly becoming lactose intolerance, which was weird because I usually always had milk and I can still have any type of dairy product, except milk. If you do decide to stop dairy all together, just take it one step at a time. Don't stop all at once or it won't last.

I have heard that about milk as well, how we are like the only beings who drink milk past infancy. But I still like a glass every once in a while, especially with Oreos ;)

If you like something, then having it (in moderation!) couldn't hurt all that much.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Soymilk for the win! Silk

Sure, if your end goal is moobs.

Hehehe. Yeah it does seem that there is more and more evidence that soymilk may not be the healthiest alternative.

Too bad I'm allergic to milk. Guess I'll be getting moobs under my boobs.