Protein Drink Ideas

Options
I am looking for some suggestions on reasonably priced and reasonably tasty protein drinks. I was told to try to make sure the drink has about 160 calories per serving. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some suggestions on reasonably priced and reasonably tasty protein drinks. I was told to try to make sure the drink has about 160 calories per serving. Anyone have any suggestions?

This is high quality and tastes good, http://www.t-nation.com/store/supplements/metabolic-drive-low-carb.jsp

There are different things you can do.

1. Drink it as is
    2. If on a low-carb diet, mix it with heavy whipping cream
    3. Buy your favorite fruit and mix it up with whatever flavor (they sell a banana and vanilla)
    4. I know somebody that buys the vanilla and mixes it with their morning cereal instead of milk.
  • Richie1982
    Richie1982 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How about some whey protein from www.myprotein.co.uk i have been using there stuff for years. A lot better and cheaper than the stuff from holland & barrett
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I make my own. I use the dole fresh cut frozen fruit, (1 cup) 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, and 1 scoop vanilla protein powder. ( I use natures sunshine, Love and Peas protein powder) then blend. It is super tasty, and a great protein drink.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Buy some plain protein powder and make your own? I've got unflavoured whey protein from the local bulk food store, add it to my yogurt and frozen berries... makes a soft-icecream consistency if I want to scoop it or I can add juice or water to make it more drinkable.

I looked at "protein drinks" at the local store but they were apparently meal replacement drinks despite being marketed as protein ones, the one had 20 grams of protein and 40 grams of sugar!
  • smiley01x
    smiley01x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use EAS carb control shakes that are already made, they sell them cheaper at Wal-Mart. Only 110 calories. I like to mix fruit in it!
  • sittingduck180
    Options
    ON Double Rich Chocolate - it's SO GOOD. My fiance and I go through a 5lb thing of it every two months.... it's on Amazon.com for a little under $40.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    I make my own. I use the dole fresh cut frozen fruit, (1 cup) 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, and 1 scoop vanilla protein powder. ( I use natures sunshine, Love and Peas protein powder) then blend. It is super tasty, and a great protein drink.
    Yummy...I also make my own shakes and use the ~unsweetened almond milk~....love it! I use it all the time and don't even buy "milk" anymore!
    For a grag-n-go protein shake - which I always carry with me due to diabetes and episodes of low bld sugar, I use the Adkins shakes....love the berry-banana! Yum. Low carbs and good protein!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Just be careful when buy whey protein drinks, especially premade. There were reports that the quality of the whey (peptide bonds) get damaged during pasteurization and lead to low quality protein. Supposidely this is true with some of the powders, so if something is real cheap you should ask why.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein mixed with Skimmed (fat free milk.) It's about 180 Kcals per serving (1 x 25g scoop in 250ml of milk!)