Water while running

Options
I just started taking my C25K program outside instead of using the treadmill. On the treadmill, I would go through a 24oz bottle of water during my workout. Running outside, I don't have anywhere to put a water bottle, and there are not any drinking fountains. For those of you who run outside, what do you do for water, or if you don't drink during the workout, how do you keep from getting parched?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I never drink during a workout. I drink a couple glasses of water before a workout, a couple of glasses of water (or a sports drink if I'm doing a really intense workout) after the workout, but never while I'm working out. To keep from feeling thirsty, I'll chew gum while working out. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, but it works for me. Gives me an extra little bit of motivation to push through also, as that glass of water is kind of a dangling carrot for when I finish the workout.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I bought a hydration belt that holds a water bottle. I wear it on any run over 10k. I don't drink much during my runs, but as the weather is getting hotter I like to have the option. I generally drink 4 liters of water on run days as well.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wear a camelback which is a light backpack with a water bladder and long straw. They also make belts that hold water bottles.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I never drink during my workouts. I do make sure I'm well hydrated before I start--ususally I've sipped 3/4 gallon of water during the course of the day before my evening workout--and I drink after. For me, it's just that I don't like the feeling of the water sloshing around in my belly while I'm still working out.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    when im running i just carry a water bottle in my hand. sometimes i wear a backpack and put the water bottle in my backpacks little side bottle holder thing lol
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't drink water during my 30 to 60 minute runs.
  • sprincess59
    sprincess59 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water before your workout, and then you can carry a water bottle with you, or run around a track and leave your water on the side. adding chia seeds to your water helps keep you from getting dehydrated too
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    They have this neat water bottles for runners that are split in the middle and have a grip. I did the C25k and got a cheaper version of this one http://upandrunning.co.uk/websales/detail.php?id=1184, cause my throat keep drying up from the heavy breathing. any ways hope this helps.
  • sooty0703
    sooty0703 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I recently got a camelback, which is like a book bag that you wear while running that is full of water. I love it. They also have water bottles that you can strap to your hand or a belt that carries it. Hope that helps!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have a Nathan water belt. I bought it on sale from runjunk.com.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    For a 5K, I wouldn't normally drink. But if it's taking you more than about a half hour to do a 5K then you'd want to drink!

I find the easiest way to drink during runs is to choose loop courses. Then you can drink once at the conclusion of each loop.

If you're running with a partner, try an out and back course. Your car is at one end and your partner's is at the other. That way you have a drink stop at one end and at the halfway point.

Fuel belts just seem horribly uncomfortable, as do camelbacks. I don't want to carry my water with me.
  • katejones79
    katejones79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also have a water belt (I like nathan brand)... I wear if If I am doing more than 5 miles. I think that staying hydrated all the time is key. I really notice if I have been slacking on my water, but if you are well hydrated your body can handle it. It does take a bit of getting use to though.... I also have to say that I started on a treadmill when I started running 2 years ago, but quickly transitioned to outside and now I LOVE to run outside, I cant hardly stand treadmills. Good Luck and enjoy the runs ;)
  • pepperedmoth
    pepperedmoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I carry water with me for any run much longer than half an hour. I have a little water bottle that fits in my hand with a strap, and I also have a Camelbak which holds much more water.

At the moment I'm running 6 miles (which takes me just over an hour) 4 times a week. I like the little water bottle when the weather is cooler, but when it's hotter I can put away the full two liters in my Camelbak and love every drop of it!
  • thomasspurlock
    thomasspurlock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't drink while I run...I usually do before and after. I do chew gum when I run...with sugar, not sugarless. It keeps me from not getting thirsty and it also has a little bit of sugar to keep me going. During my long runs >5 miles, I carry a spare piece and change it out in the middle of my run.
  • mygirlash1
    mygirlash1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For 5 miles or less I do not drink water, but on really humid days for some reason I feel more parched then others. I do own a handheld water bottle that I use on long runs but my preference is run a 5 mile lap, drink water and do another 5 mile lap. This similar to my water bottle.

http://www.rei.com/product/799336/nathan-quickdraw-plus-handheld-bottle?preferredSku=7993360001&cm_mmc=cse_bing-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7993360001&mr:referralID=08369ba5-a725-11e0-9e9c-001b2166c62d
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I used to run with a water bottle, it has a hole in the middle so you can grip better! bought from a sports shop! for past few years I don't take water, but do drink enough before and after my runs, mind you the most I've runned in one go is 15 miles, I generally run between 3 and 10 miles.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    on my long runs (anything over 8 miles) i have a camelbak flashflo hydration pack. it has a water reservoir with a long tube and whenever i need it, all i have to do is suck on it. I dont like water bottles because i dont like the sloshing and movement of the water and to me its a hassle taking the bottles out and putting it back on my waste. I think bought mine from Roadrunnersports.com.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I really don't drink on short runs either. If I know I'm going to run longer I usually stash a few mints in my pocket to keep me from getting cotton mouth.
  • izzyinbliss
    izzyinbliss Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If I'm running between 5 to 7 miles, I use a small Amphipod handheld (http://www.rei.com/product/782447/amphipod-hydraform-handheld-lite-pocket?preferredSku=7824470012&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7824470012&mr:trackingCode=573BB1FE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA). Over 7 miles, I use the Nathan Quickdraw Elite handheld (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q5ROKC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004JSFSI8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0EXTSFCX567D72C7HAQZ). Both have served me well. The Amphipod has a hard nozzle (like an off-the-shelf sport water bottle), which makes it harder to pull open with my teeth—but it doesn't spill at all. The Nathan has a soft rubber nozzle, which is easier on the teeth when pulling it open—but it has a tendency to spill/spurt. Over 10 miles, though, the Nathan starts running out of water, so you may want to eventually consider a water belt or a Camelbak waistpak.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I hold it bc i need it alot during the walking part and catching my breath. it also helps keep my rhythm in the runnig and breathing (i.e the water sloching going with my intake of air and outtake)! im on W1W2 and so proud of myself already!!