Can someone explain to me why you should up your calories as

Options
Can someone explain to me why you should up your calories as you get closer to your goal? I have nine pounds to go. If I change my goal to loose only half a pound a week instead of two...will I loose slower or will I actually loose faster because of upped calories? Why would i want to loose slower - because it will ease me into maintenance calories? any other reason? Just looking for some clarification on this. I've been working out more lately and I eat back most of my cals but my weight loss has stalled. I eat 1200-1400 a day. Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You may lose slower or faster if depends on your body. If you don't eat enough your body may hold on to everything and slow your metabolism down. This would be a slower loss than if you ate more, but not eating enough may cause your body to burn off muscle instead of fat, which may be faster than eating more.

The safest thing to do if you have less than 15 lbs to lose is to set your goal at 0.5 lbs/week, eat at least 20% protein and add strength training into your routine if you are not already, and make sure you are eating back your exercise calories. Eating the exercise calories is much more important when you don't have much to lose as your body does not have the fat stores to draw on to make up for the deficit. If you don't do these things you will lose a large amount of muscle while trying to lose the last few pounds of fat. I am assuming you want to lose fat, not just weight.

So most likely your weight loss will be slow when you don't have much to lose, but eating more is the healthy way to do it without adversely affecting your metabolism. Doing this will also ease you into maintenance so you don't shock your system with a sudden leap in caloric intake.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My only guess is that because you are lighter, those 9 lbs are a much higher percentage of your body weight than they were, say 30 lbs ago, and that's why it should be slower?
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi,

It does get harder to lose weight as you reach your "optimal" weight. At this point, I would suggest you really cut back on fat intake as your metabolism and water are non-issues (at least, they shouldn't be). Of course, consult with a professional, but the fat you eat is the fat you wear and it will prevent you from losing those final pounds. I suggest a highest veggie, then fruit, then starch with beans to get your protein. When you bulk up on vegetables, you get a full stomach feeling but vegetables have little calories. Fruits will satisfy your sweet craving while giving you the fiber and you can avoid animal fat by eating legumes/beans and still get your protein. Let me add, that you can eat as much and you are encouraged to eat as much veggies as possible. Wait 20 minutes and go for seconds and repeat. Just watch your GI with your foods but in general, veggies and fruits are great. http://www.glycemicindex.com/ to figure out what you should avoid.

Just a suggestion, hope it makes sense.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    the fat you eat is the fat you wear .

Sorry, but eating fat will not make you fat. Excess calories of any type is what will make you fat.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Hi,

It does get harder to lose weight as you reach your "optimal" weight. At this point, I would suggest you really cut back on fat intake as your metabolism and water are non-issues (at least, they shouldn't be). Of course, consult with a professional, but the fat you eat is the fat you wear and it will prevent you from losing those final pounds. I suggest a highest veggie, then fruit, then starch with beans to get your protein. When you bulk up on vegetables, you get a full stomach feeling but vegetables have little calories. Fruits will satisfy your sweet craving while giving you the fiber and you can avoid animal fat by eating legumes/beans and still get your protein.

This fat thing is BS fat only turns to body fat if you take in more calories than you burn, otherwise you burn off the calories. Carbs turn to fat if you don't burn them off too, such as any excess calorie. A safe fat intake is 20-30% of total calories, regardless how much you have to lose.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    as i understand it, it's because your muscle needs fuel to burn that fat weight-- but if you aren't eating enough to fuel the muscle (and burn the fat), the body will start losing muscle instead of fat. hence the "holding onto fat" and a slower metabolism. it's easier to maintain "fat" on the body with lower calories than muscle because muscle needs more calories to work, but you also have to work the muscles that your fueling. so, up the calories and do weight training to lose fat weight. it may come off slower on the scale, but it improves overall body composition.
  • erickirb
    Options
    as i understand it, it's because your muscle needs fuel to burn that fat weight-- but if you aren't eating enough to fuel the muscle (and burn the fat), the body will start losing muscle instead of fat. hence the "holding onto fat" and a slower metabolism. it's easier to maintain "fat" on the body with lower calories than muscle because muscle needs more calories to work, but you also have to work the muscles that your fueling. so, up the calories and do weight training to lose fat weight. it may come off slower on the scale, but it improves overall body composition.

Excellent explanation. where is the like button when you need it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi,

It does get harder to lose weight as you reach your "optimal" weight. At this point, I would suggest you really cut back on fat intake as your metabolism and water are non-issues (at least, they shouldn't be). Of course, consult with a professional, but the fat you eat is the fat you wear and it will prevent you from losing those final pounds. I suggest a highest veggie, then fruit, then starch with beans to get your protein. When you bulk up on vegetables, you get a full stomach feeling but vegetables have little calories. Fruits will satisfy your sweet craving while giving you the fiber and you can avoid animal fat by eating legumes/beans and still get your protein. Let me add, that you can eat as much and you are encouraged to eat as much veggies as possible. Wait 20 minutes and go for seconds and repeat. Just watch your GI with your foods but in general, veggies and fruits are great. http://www.glycemicindex.com/ to figure out what you should avoid.

I can tell you for a fact, this approach does not work. When I did this, I was only eat 10% of my calories from fat and had about 60% carbs and 30% protein and I didn't lose anything. As erickirb stated, you want at least 20% of your calories from fat. Also, many fats (mono/polyunsaturated fats) stimulate brain function and increase weightloss.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I took a look at your diary, and if all the days were the same as the past few, you're in for a rude awakening. It looks to me as though one of the reasons you're stalled in your weight loss is because you're not eating your calories.

You should be aiming to eat within 50 calories of your goal every day. Yes, yes, the rule is that you should never eat less than 1200 calories per day, but when you're exercising, you really should eat more food. Eating more food and making those goals on exercise days is really important because it helps you recover quicker and also ensures that you're getting the nutrients you need to build muscle, which in turn burns more fat.

As your body changes and you lose fat and build muscle, you burn more calories just by sitting around. Therefore, if you were burning 1400 per day before you started this process and now you're burning 1700 per day just by living, you need to take that into account. When was the last time you updated your information in MFP? They recommend every 10 lbs. but I actually recommend every 5 lbs, especially if you are exercising regularly.

Let's focus though on what you're saying and what you're not saying. You eat 1200-1400 calories per day. Is that always your net or is it your gross? Also, look...1200 per day is the BARE MINIMUM. People look at this web site and expect that by eating 1200 calories per day they will lose all the weight they want to lose and then some and that everything will be hunky-dory. This isn't true and MFP doesn't actually condone that act.

You said you eat back most of your calories. Looking at your diary, this is NOT true and you need to be honest with yourself. The past couple of days you had HUNDREDS of calories left over. The maximum you should have left over is 50-100. When you have 455 calories left over like you did recently, that puts your weight loss goals in jeopardy because your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs.

You seem to be too focused on the idea of "well as long as I get at least 1200" and you're not paying attention to what you're doing to your body.

You're too concerned about losing 2 lbs. per week. Right now you are losing nothing. So why should you be concerned if you change your goals from 2lbs to a half pound per week? If you change your goals and you follow the criteria set for your goals and you lose that half pound per week you will be in better shape than you are now.

Losing weight slowly is about more than maintenance. When you lose weight too quickly, you damage your organs...let me tell you about THAT sometime since I experienced it...and you cause your body to gain weight much more quickly when you stop exercising and dieting.

The other thing you need to really take into account is that you CHANGED something in your routine. You started exercising more. And that can mess with your weight loss.
  • taem
    Options
    Hi,

I can tell you for a fact, this approach does not work. When I did this, I was only eat 10% of my calories from fat and had about 60% carbs and 30% protein and I didn't lose anything. As erickirb stated, you want at least 20% of your calories from fat. Also, many fats (mono/polyunsaturated fats) stimulate brain function and increase weightloss.

Hi,

We can agree to disagree. I have no problem with that. You can do a search for what your body uses first for energy and you will see that it is carbs first then fat. http://www.weightlossforall.com/energy-stores-lose-weight.htm

I think the number should be lower for fat in that url given but 15% is good as well. Regardless, when I talk about fat, I am referring to the calories derived from it (9 calories per gram). Protein and carbs, per gram gives you 4 calories. More calories means more weight you have to lose. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat-grams/HQ00671

Take my advice if you wish, but I eat as much healthy carbs as I want, and I limit my fat intake. I am satisfied and I am losing weight without going through ketosis.
  • taem
    Options

Sorry, but eating fat will not make you fat. Excess calories of any type is what will make you fat.

You are right, but why eat something that is mostly fat? Fat has 9 calories per gram that's twice more than carbs or protein per gram. So excess calories is bad, so why over eat on fat? Get your fat requirements, but don't go over, that's my point.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Hi,

Hi,

We can agree to disagree. I have no problem with that. You can do a search for what your body uses first for energy and you will see that it is carbs first then fat. http://www.weightlossforall.com/energy-stores-lose-weight.htm

I think the number should be lower for fat in that url given but 15% is good as well. Regardless, when I talk about fat, I am referring to the calories derived from it (9 calories per gram). Protein and carbs, per gram gives you 4 calories. More calories means more weight you have to lose. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat-grams/HQ00671

Take my advice if you wish, but I eat as much healthy carbs as I want, and I limit my fat intake. I am satisfied and I am losing weight without going through ketosis.

If you eat 1400 calories and burn 1600 at rest the % of fat does not matter. Since it is based on % you get less grams of fat for 20% of your calories than you would get of grams of protein at the same 20%. But the calories are the same 20% of 1400 is 20% of 1400 regardless of the type Carbs or Fat.
  • taem
    Options
    Hi,

Hi,

If you eat 1400 calories and burn 1600 at rest the % of fat does not matter. Since it is based on % you get less grams of fat for 20% of your calories than you would get of grams of protein at the same 20%. But the calories are the same 20% of 1400 is 20% of 1400 regardless of the type Carbs or Fat.

Okay, I can live with that explanation. Let me put it to you in another way. If you think eating fat is great and exercise will protect you from heart disease, think again. http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/24/science/the-doctor-s-world-james-fixx-the-enigma-of-heart-disease.html
  • End6ame
    Options

You are right, but why eat something that is mostly fat? Fat has 9 calories per gram that's twice more than carbs or protein per gram. So excess calories is bad, so why over eat on fat? Get your fat requirements, but don't go over, that's my point.

Because fat is good for you (yes, even saturated fat). I aim for about 30% fat in my diet and if I go over, I go over, I am not worried about it as long as I am at my calorie requirements for the day. I eat/drink full fat dairy, coconut oil, red meat etc, and am still losing fat. No macro-nutrient is bad.

Edit: And my cholesterol and triglycerides are well within normal, in fact they are better than they were two years ago even though I eat a higher fat diet.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Okay, I can live with that explanation. Let me put it to you in another way. If you think eating fat is great and exercise will protect you from heart disease, think again. http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/24/science/the-doctor-s-world-james-fixx-the-enigma-of-heart-disease.html

Great! Thanks for quoting a 27 year-old article to make your point! :laugh:

Anything else you want to add? Like smoking is good for you?
  • taem
    Options

I know it's an old article, but if Mr. Runner of America can die of a heart attack--mr. fitness himself, then you have to ask yourself maybe the food I eat is important as well.
  • erickirb
    Options

I know it's an old article, but if Mr. Runner of America can die of a heart attack--mr. fitness himself, then you have to ask yourself maybe the food I eat is important as well.

The food you eat is more important than the exercise you do, but fat is essential and can be good for you (Healthy fats, like those in nuts and seeds are better than carbs from sugar)
  • End6ame
    Options

The lipid hypothesis, which states that saturated fat will increase your levels of cholesterol and elevated levels of cholesterol will lead to heart disease is BS, and has been disproven countless times.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Who here is saying that the food one eats is not important? Is that what the point of contention here is? You are making a blanket statement that fats are bad for you. Well, there is overwhelming MODERN evidence that the issue is way more complicated than that.

Health markers improve from several things.... and eating a diet where the source of your calories from fat is limited to 15% is not a prerequisite.

Also, in that article, the good doctor had a family history of heart disease. His father had his first heart attack at the age of 35. In that situation, it doesn't really matter what a person's diet is. Without medical intervention, he was headed for disaster.
  • taem
    Options

Who here is saying that the food one eats is not important? Is that what the point of contention here is? You are making a blanket statement that fats are bad for you. Well, there is overwhelming MODERN evidence that the issue is way more complicated than that.

Health markers improve from several things.... and eating a diet where the source of your calories from fat is limited to 15% is not a prerequisite.

Also, in that article, the good doctor had a family history of heart disease. His father had his first heart attack at the age of 35. In that situation, it doesn't really matter what a person's diet is. Without medical intervention, he was headed for disaster.

Then what do you suggest the poster do? Eat more fats?