The correct shoes

Options
KBrenOH
KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
Hi all -

Over the holiday the weekend, I decided it would be a brilliant idea for me and the family to do the 8 mile walking path in our park. in the middle of the afternoon. in 90+ degree weather (with humidity).
Aside from the sheer stupidity of doing it at that point in time, I ran into another issue: my feet.

I can generally walk the the parks inner loop twice, which generally quals out to 3.5 miles with no problems what so ever. However a lil over 4 miles into our walk Saturday and my feet started hurting, my fingers were swelling up (sodium I'm assuming) and I couldn't get enough to drink. By the 5th mile, it was worse and at 6.7miles, I couldn't take another step due to pain in my feet, light headedness and nausea. My husband ended up having to finish by himself to get the car and bring it to the road which was nearby. With all of these embarrasing facts, I'm curious if the foot pain which was center in the toes and the area just below where the toes start (i believe it's called the ball of the foot) and also along the side/edge of my feet came from the shoes or if it was just too much walking and my body was going wtf.
I was wearing Nike Running shoes, that are probably 5 years old, and while not in "like new condition" they are by no means worn out.
Any help and suggestions would be great.

Thank you so much.

Replies

• thin4life67
    thin4life67 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    First of all you need to get new shoes!! Make sure they are the right size as well. I recently found out that I have been wearing the wrong size shoes for YEARS! I was having pain in the balls of my feet and my toes would tingle when I got to about the 2 mile mark. I got the right shoes and have no problem now. Good luck!!
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    Sounds like a simple case of TMTS (too much too soon) to me. I doubt that other shoes would have fared any differently.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I got new runners fitted for my feet 2 weeks ago, i can wear them forever and my feet are the only thing not hurting, my old shoes limited me big time with running.

If you havnt done this type of exercise it could be that too, plus carrying a few extra lbs does things to your body. Do this again when you drop 20 to 40lbs and see how you feel.
    After dropping 80lbs it felt like i could move forever and jump so much higher then before.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    running shoes are only good for about on average 350 to 500 miles. they are like tires on a car. then they wear out, even if they still look good. the cushion and support break down. they are then only good for yard work or hanging out.