Protein

Options
I never get enough protein in my daily foods. What should I be eating to get more protein? Thanks in advance for help!

Replies

• Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I don't either! Bump
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of almonds on hand. Hard boiled eggs and string cheese are a great snack too.
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    chicken, tuna, salmon...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I never get enough protein in my daily foods. What should I be eating to get more protein? Thanks in advance for help!

What is your protein goal? Did you change it from MFP defaults, which is 15% and many would consider pretty low?. A balanced diet consists of protein up to 30%. To increase protein add more lean meats, or a protein supplement.
  • queeniedebar
    queeniedebar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, protein shakes/mixes (whey or egg white protein is best), fish, protein bars (like Luna or Powerbar), eggs, greek yogurt, nuts (almonds or cashews)....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    beans, fish, lean meat, nuts, low fat cheese
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Meat (Pork, poultry, fish, beef etc). Greek yogurt. Eggs. Cheese (tho they are often higher in fat). Cottage cheese. Nuts. Some eat tofu (I don't). I get enough protein in my foods, but I'm still looking to supplement my protein intake with a powdered whey product.
  • aubreywygralak
    Options
    I use a protein shake- usually vanilla flavored and mix it in with my oatmeal and/or plain Greek Yogurt. It really boosts my protein intake. I also eat almonds/pumpkin seeds (as a snack or on a salad) and lots of chicken/tuna/salmon.
  • xtina1982
    xtina1982 Posts: 37
    Options
    all kinds of stuff! eggs, beans, chickpeas, lentils, soybeans/edamame, tuna, salmon, lean poultry or beef, nut butter, almonds...some of them are pretty calorie-dense so you want to watch those and consume with moderation, but i've LOVED incorporating more of those items into my diet - it's really true what they say about energy and better satiation!
  • Akerman
    Akerman Posts: 16
    Options
    • All fish and seafood fresh or frozen except farmed
    • Beef (lean cuts)
    • Chicken
    • Turkey
    • Ground beef extra lean
    • Lean deli ham
    • Liquid eggs
    • Veal
    • Cheese (fat free)
    • Cottage cheese (fat free)
    • Yogurt
    • Milk
    • Whey Protein supplement
    • Back bacon

The amount of protein per day should be based on what your goals. Protein should be in every meal.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Nuts are actually not "full" of protein. Almonds are only about 25% Protein 25% Carbs and 50% Fat. It's good fat, but I wouldn't chose nuts as a source of protein.
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    String cheese, chicken breast, water-packed tuna, hard boiled eggs, protein powder. Because of my diabetes I need more protein than the 15% suggest on MFP. It isn't hard to do, really.
  • optus1
    optus1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I dont either simply by diet. I have to add protein supplements to hit 1g of protein per pound of body weight. I keep muscle milk ready made shakes and protein bars with me pretty much at all times.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm still having trouble getting enough. I only need between 100 and 160g per day, but I'm so used to trying to base my meals around veggies that it feels odd (and expensive) to eat so much protein. I need to change up my breakfast. I've nearly made it to 100 today, i just need to fit in another can of tuna before bed.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm still having trouble getting enough. I only need between 100 and 160g per day, but I'm so used to trying to base my meals around veggies that it feels odd (and expensive) to eat so much protein. I need to change up my breakfast. I've nearly made it to 100 today, i just need to fit in another can of tuna before bed.

Why do you need 160 grams of protein. Most people only need something like 0.8 grams of protein per KG of body weight. If you do a lot of strength training going as high at 1.5 g/ kg would suffice. So if you weight 140 lbs you would be 63ish KGs and need between 51 and 95 grams per day. Going by %, there is no need to get more than 30% of your calories from protein.