best cardio machine for the home?`

Options
I am looking to purchase a machine for my home, im not yet comfortable working out in front of people. i dont want to spend to much, but i know that i get what i pay for. what is everyones go to machine (specific model if you know it). and if you own your own why did you pick that one?

Replies

• jen_marie_1976
    Options
    Im the same way..I bought a treadmill off craigslist....paid 50.00, and its brand new....i am also getting an elliptical, ive read alot about them burning tons of calories..and also a home gym...a small one.....look into used
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Honestly, to get a good machine you need to spend money. At very minimum $1500 for a treadmill. Department store machines especially elipticalls and treadmills are just junk.

Until you get confirtable just buy some DVD's, the Jillian Michales 30 Day shred ones are about $10 each super cheap (although Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire are my real recomendation) or so some free fitness DVD's if you have Rogers, channel 100.
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    i didnt even think about craigslist! thanks!!
    and ive heard good things about jillian, thanks for the recommendation
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i have the weslo cadence ex 14 treadmill...it's not too fancy or anything, but it gets the job done. I can't remember how much it was, but I know we got it because it was on sale...maybe around five hundred at the time. If it's still around the market it's probably much less.
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i have the weslo cadence ex 14 treadmill...it's not too fancy or anything, but it gets the job done. I can't remember how much it was, but I know we got it because it was on sale...maybe around five hundred at the time. If it's still around the market it's probably much less.
  • Taygwen
    Taygwen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I bought a pretty good treadmill from Sams Club for about $400. Craigslist always has good deals because a lot of people just need to get rid of their things.
    If I could afford a good elliptical I would get one of those. When I first got on one I didn't last 5 minutes before I gave up. If you can get past the first 10 minutes, the rest is easy as pie and you burn a lot of calories. A lot more fun than just walking or running on a treadmill.
  • morganginga
    morganginga Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical: NordicTrak CX 925. I love my elliptical, as you mentioned a great burn. I usually try to do 50 minutes on it per day (I do the two weight loss pre-programmed routines: 30 min + 20 min. For my 50 mins I usually burn in the neighborhood of 700 calories. I would try before you buy if you can. My elliptical fits my stride very well, but I've had friends try it and they don't like it. The elliptical is very easy on my joints as well.
  • jen_marie_1976
    Options
    I cant wait to get an elliptical....ive heard so many great things about them, and i know when i get one i will be thinking to myself ....."what was i thinking"......BUT yeah craigslist is great for all that...me, i dont have alot of money living paycheck to paycheck, so craigslist was perfect. i also found some that people just bought and didnt want and they were still under warranty...so why spend TONS of money on something when you can get it for under $100.00.....
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Than anyone in the Toronto area, you are more than willing to come take my elliptical away from me for $50! I never posted it on CL b/c I fear someone will hurt our walls/carpet getting it out of the bsmt. It cost $699, was used once when I realized we didn’t install the footing properly. We never used the 1-yr warranty b/c we got married that year and hence all our vaca days we’re spent doing other things or saved up for the honeymoon rather than on the phone with customer service. We still have the instructions as well. Comes with an attached calorie calculator and water bottle holder. My previous office paid most of it through their wellnessprogram hence why it looks like I'm throwing away money when in fact I am a super-saver.
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    I hate the cross trainer (elliptical thing) I bought one and i hated t that much i didn't use it. I spent $300 on a bike from number 1 fitness, they have a website and deliver nationally (NZ). I do 40 minutes in the morning while watching my fav TV episodes and burn about 200 calories. I also bought a treadmill which i now use in the mornings (bike int he afternoon or if i dont feel like treadmill) and get a really good work out from that too. I think my ares has tightened since using the inclines!! I also bought that from number 1 fitness. I like to have 2 machines because i get bored so its goo to alternate, plus your body gets use to doing the same thing over and over. Hope this helps :smile: