Running effort question

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
I have been running on my treadmill for almost 3 months now. I have been running faster and longer as I go. As of this weekend I got up to running for a full 30 minutes at 6.1mph.

I wear a HRM, and in generally, after 5 or so minutes of running my heart rate gets up to somewhere in the high150's. I am 34 years old... meaning that 158 is about 84% of my max heart rate. I will often sit in that range for the last 20-25 minutes I run.

I was reading this article discussing your exertion level, and it says this: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--2201-1-2X3X6-4,00.html

6. Find your pace. Okay, so I've told you to make it comfortable. Sounds simple. The problem is that most beginning runners don't know what a comfortable pace feels like, so they push too hard. Result: They get overly fatigued and discouraged, or even injured. Here are some more guidelines. A comfortable pace is 1 to 2 minutes per mile slower than your mile trial time. Or you can use a heart-rate monitor and run at 65 to 75 percent of your maximum heart rate. (Note: Max heart rate is 205 minus half your age). Or, my favorite because it's so simple: Listen to your breathing. If you aren't gasping for air, and you can talk while you're running, your pace is just right.

Do I need to turn down the intensity of my runs? I certainly don't want to hurt myself. That's goal #1. But I'm pretty proud of what I have managed running lately, and don't especially want to go back to something way slower.

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I used to push myself really hard when I ran. Faster. Faster. Faster. Then I realized I can get my heart rate up, keep it up and feel like I got in a good workout at a slower pace. I do increase my pace right before I "test" myself to see if I can do a 10 min yet, but overall -- I usually stay around 5.0 or 5.1 on the treadmill.

This gets my heart rate up, keeps it up, but keeps me in a "I can still talk without gasping" range. Oh and boy do I sweat!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've read something similar in a book on running...I believe it said beginning runners should keep their HR at or below 70% maximum for at least the first six months of running. As a beginning runner, I'm not sure how I feel about that since my HR typically jumps to 130s or 140s when I run...the book I'm using also emphasizes the conversation/breathing point. Personally, I'm going to watch my HR but focus on the "how do I feel" and "can I talk while running" to determine an appropriate pace. Hope this helps.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with running at 85% heartrate. You are less likely to get stress injury on a treadmill anyway. If you decide to pound the pavement, reduce your speed and build up again. Otherwise, happy 6.1!!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and have been building up my running, from nothing, since February and prefer to run on the road - but do occasionally use the treadmill. I run at a steady pace which varies and either will aim to run for an hour or 5k, whichever I have time for. I don't use a HRM but usually just go by how I'm feeling and I take walking breaks as I need them. On the treadmill I find that when I get to my maximum effort when my heart-rate is around 150. Now I know this is quite high for my age but am in good health and as I'm not experiencing any 'distress' I am confident I'm not doing myself any harm. Although of course I can't suggest that this is okay for you - only your Doctor can do that.

I think that the guidelines and suggestions are just that - guidelines and suggestions. Personally I know that I wouldn't have progressed if I hadn't pushed myself, but have only done so in running intervals and by paying attention to my body, breathing etc etc. It's worked for me - but you will have to decide what's right for you and what you're comfortable with.
  • JCubbins
    JCubbins Posts: 92
    Options
    I've read something like that a bunch of times, but I don't really care about it. My average HR when running is between 168 and 176 while my max HR is 197 (205 - 8 (half my age) = 197). I calculated my 70 %, which is 137. I GET THAT HEART RATE WHEN I WALK BRISKLY. So, I just go out and run at the pace I'm currently comfortable with :)
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The HRM is giving you an estimate of what it thinks your max/min heart rate is, but everybody is different. I like the talking rule b/c its less subjective. Can I talk and run? I'm good. Breathing so hard I can't talk? I slow down. I'm not talking about delivering a soliloquy, just a "hi my name is.."

I've found I can function just peachy keen at what my HRM says should be greater than 85% of my max rate.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    From Physical Therapy Assistant school, I learned that Max Heart rate is determined : 220-age not 205 and then a good work out heart rate is between 60-80% of that.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    Heart rate max is 220 - age, not 205 - age.

Also, the margin of error is +/- about 12 beats per minute depending on fitness level. If you're fit, you could have the same max heart rate of someone 10 years younger than you or even more. How do you think Lance Armstrong and other older athletes manage to hang with the young guys. (in before steroid joke)

If you really want to see what your heart rate and body can do in general, you need to find a place that measures your VO2 max. There are maximal and sub-maximal tests that can be done on treadmills or on stationary bikes. Sometimes there are physical therapy places or cardiac rehab places that open these tests up to the public for a small fee. You can also check with local universities that run studies to see if you can hop on board to be tested, often for free.
  • h3h8m3
    Options
    From Physical Therapy Assistant school, I learned that Max Heart rate is determined : 220-age not 205 and then a good work out heart rate is between 60-80% of that.

Because of my age, those are the same thing for me 205-17 or 220-34... close enough.

I guess I should bring it down a bit to be below 80%? My resting heart rate is a lot lower than most people. Down near 46-48. Not sure if that makes any difference either way.
  • Ajduf
    Ajduf Posts: 5
    Options
    I used to be quite fit but never actually did any running. But now I must as my *kitten* is (or was) the size of a small country. I have been treadmill running with a HRM and I am always on max HR. However, I can run for 6-7pm with no problems. When I go outside - I suppose because my pace is unregulated and the road is hilly in places I get worn out really quickly.

I have signed up for a half marathon at the end of the year and although confident I could do it indoors I am unsure as to whether I can pull this off outside in the fresh air!

Although 'dieting' - not really - just watching what I eat and I've been out on a yeast free diet I do believe that exercise is the way forward.

Hmmmmm.....
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am the same age as you, and when I run, my heart rate is usually around 175-179 for the full 50-60 minutes, so I don't think your intensity is too high. I don't feel like I am pushing myself too much. My max heart rate is obviously far higher than the estimated 186 for my age, as I easily hit 189 just doing circuits or a fast run. Everyone is different, just do what feels right for you.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Because of my age, those are the same thing for me 205-17 or 220-34... close enough.

I guess I should bring it down a bit to be below 80%? My resting heart rate is a lot lower than most people. Down near 46-48. Not sure if that makes any difference either way.

My resting heart rate is 45 sitting up (I haven't measured it lying down). I don't think that makes any difference, though, it's all about your max heart rate.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You should not use any "calculated" target heart rate as a firm guideline without comparing it to your feelings of perceived exertion. Just because a formula, or calculated HRM "zone", etc says you are working at 85%, that doesn't mean you ARE actually working at 85%. If you can sustain the effort for 25 min and are not totally gasping for breath, then you are not working at 85%, regardless of what your HRM or anything else says.

Having said that, there is benefit to varying your workout intensity and duration. Not because of "muscle confusion" or any silly thing like that, but your body responds best to a varying the training stimulus and you need to train all of your energy systems.

The workout you describe is what I might call a "tempo" workout, which is one of the three. You can also benefit by slowing the effort down to the 55% effort level or so and extending the duration (endurance workout). Lastly, you can include some slightly harder "interval" workouts where you take the speed up to, say, 6.3-6.6 for a minute or so, then drop back down for 1-3 min. Eventually your "interval" speed becomes your new "tempo" training level. I usually like to include one endurance run and one interval run each week--with the rest being different levels of tempo training. They all work together in concert to keep your progressing steadily in your performance. And with a treadmill, you can come up with many different workload combinations.
  • h3h8m3
    Options
    You should not use any "calculated" target heart rate as a firm guideline without comparing it to your feelings of perceived exertion. Just because a formula, or calculated HRM "zone", etc says you are working at 85%, that doesn't mean you ARE actually working at 85%. If you can sustain the effort for 25 min and are not totally gasping for breath, then you are not working at 85%, regardless of what your HRM or anything else says.

Having said that, there is benefit to varying your workout intensity and duration. Not because of "muscle confusion" or any silly thing like that, but your body responds best to a varying the training stimulus and you need to train all of your energy systems.

The workout you describe is what I might call a "tempo" workout, which is one of the three. You can also benefit by slowing the effort down to the 55% effort level or so and extending the duration (endurance workout). Lastly, you can include some slightly harder "interval" workouts where you take the speed up to, say, 6.3-6.6 for a minute or so, then drop back down for 1-3 min. Eventually your "interval" speed becomes your new "tempo" training level. I usually like to include one endurance run and one interval run each week--with the rest being different levels of tempo training. They all work together in concert to keep your progressing steadily in your performance. And with a treadmill, you can come up with many different workload combinations.

Thanks for your reply.

When I am finish the run I am absolutely gasping for breath at the end. It's very hard work.

I have been doing interval workouts since I started working out about 3 months ago. I do interval cardio three times a week. Basically it goes something like...

Interval cardio on treadmill:
    1 minute running @ 6.5mph and 10% incline
    1 minute walking @ 3mph and 3% incline
    repeat 10 times (20 minutes total)

Then in the evening six days a week I do some kind of steady state cardio for 40-60 minutes. Normally that will be walking briskly at a pretty good incline. Something like...

10 minutes of 4.3mph @ 4% incline
    10 minutes of 3.8mph @ 8% incline
    10 minutes of 4.3mph @ 4% incline
    10 minutes of 3.8mph @ 8% incline

Once a week or so I'll go for my big run, which has been a 5k.

I have never tried running a long and slow run. Honestly, there is no speed of RUN that would seem easy to me. Even with a brisk walk my heart rate gets above 55%. If I tried to run, even as slow as 4.5mph my heart rate would be well above 55%.
    FYI, on my non cardio days I do something like this...
    Interval strength training:
    10 reps pushups
    10 reps crunches
    10 reps lunges
    10 reps arm haulers
    repeat as many times as I can in 20 minutes