Making me a priority!!!

Options
What I now know for sure. I need to be a priority. When I take care of myself first, I am then able to take care of my husband and children.
This past week a dear friend of mine lost her 2 year old son in a tragic accident at her home. I have been so focused on making sure that she has what she needs in this very difficult time, and spending every precious moment with my husband and children, that I have failed to care for myself.
From this aweful experience I have learned many great lessons, and would like to share a few.
1. When I don’t make myself a priority I feel miserable and can not take care of my family.
2. When I eat right and exercise I am a better mom and wife.
2. The people in our lives are precious gifts from God and we never know the length of time that they will be a part of our lives so cherish every moment.
3. Hold your children a little tighter, a little longer and love every moment with them, even when they make you want to scream.
4. Take lots of photos and video. It was amazing to see all of the great video and photos of sweet little Garrett. It is something his family will cherish forever!!

I am so grateful for MFP and my MFP friends! They give me the support that I need to be a better person, and to take care of myself. I think Today was truly a celebration of Garrett Kenton Mangelsons short life, but in his short life many lessons were taught to many people by this sweet little blessing from God. I know that I am a better person for knowing him.
I vow to make me a priority from this day forward, no turning back!!!

Replies

• descooley
    descooley Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear of your friend's loss and thanks for the reminders. May you find peace with yourself today.
  • joyfulthanks
    joyfulthanks Posts: 155
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this.
  • clancie518
    clancie518 Posts: 40
    Options
    my heart goes out to your friend and her family. that is just awful and she is lucky to have you in her life.. with that being said.... Good for you for making you a priority!!!.. it's important and you will benefit from it as well as your family....
  • MamaMayo
    MamaMayo Posts: 30
    Options
    I think you said it all...It is very important to take care of ourselves even if we as Mom/Wife feel "selfish" about doing so. In the end, things are just better for everyone in the family. I know that since I have made changes in the last couple of years, I not only am a healthier & happier person, it just makes everything much easier for all of us. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, your friend's loss, the memories are good things to hold on to. It's just not right to see something happen to a child. Take time for yourself & take care of your family...
  • jinxywinx
    jinxywinx Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. What a terrible loss to endure.
    So true we take for granted a lot of things that we shouldn't - our health included. Thank you for the reminder and many thoughts and prayers to the family who lost their child. :(
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing...it is so true