What is your #1 one, hardest, toughest, worst, most challenging obstacle you have overcome during your healthy change thus far? Even if it has only been a day, a week, or if you are a long timer. Name your hardest obstacle thus far.

I think mine has been to stop looking at food as the enemy. Food is now my friend who I can alter for a healthy change, instead of fear and running, sneaking, hiding, and using as a weapon to use to destroy myself. YEOUCH!. :drinker:

Replies

• PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    What is your #1 one, hardest, toughest, worst, most challenging obstacle you have overcome during your healthy change thus far? Even if it has only been a day, a week, or if you are a long timer. Name your hardest obstacle thus far.

I think mine has been to stop looking at food as the enemy. Food is now my friend who I can alter for a healthy change, instead of fear and running, sneaking, hiding, and using as a weapon to use to destroy myself. YEOUCH!. :drinker:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Portion control--a life time of eating until I "felt full," which meant, of course, that I had really eaten way too much.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    getting the right balance between carbs, fats, proteins. I am still not sure what works best for my body.
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Taking control of my sweet tooth! Lol! Hardest thing ever.

Over it now though, almost. =]
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    instead of fear and running, sneaking, hiding, and using as a weapon to use to destroy myself. YEOUCH!. :drinker:

i still destroy myself with food....i also have a hard time starting my exercise, i feel good once it's done, it just getting on the shoes and beginning.....speaking of which i need to get my shoes on and get it done and over with....
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Cutting out Sweet tea-you know the good southern kind with 2 cups of sugar in a gallon - oh yeah I went there I was drinking about 64 oz of sweet tea daily with no water - now it's water
  • This is only day 4 for me but so far my biggest challenge has been not finishing my what my kids leave on their plates. I know that sounds weird (I think it's weird too.) but I have gotten into some really unhealthy habits that I wasn't even aware of. :blushing:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    This is only day 4 for me but so far my biggest challenge has been not finishing my what my kids leave on their plates. I know that sounds weird (I think it's weird too.) but I have gotten into some really unhealthy habits that I wasn't even aware of. :blushing:

NORMAL!! I swear that is how I gained 50 pounds. I was raised with 'finish all the food on your plate' mentality. Couldnt stand for a 1/4 of a PBJ to go in the garbage, so I ate it!:sad:

I dont know how to help you, mine had to grow up and move out for me to realise it!! :bigsmile:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Trading my old habits for a healthy lifestyle wasn't as hard as I thought. What was the most challenging (still being challenged, btw!) was accepting that I have lost weight, that I am no longer looked at as "the fat girl." I am currently in a size 6, and I have a hard time seeing the change in my body unless I look at before and after photos side by side. :frown:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Not drinking my sodas. That was the hardest thing for me to start doing. Now I dont even crave them.

Connie
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Replacing bad with good foods - I never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever be eating this healthily, but it's now been 6 weeks and 19 lbs lost later - I'm feelnig much better about myself already, can't wait until I reach my end target !! :bigsmile:
  • christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    mine's been ACTUALLY eating. i'm used to starving myself and then when i DO eat something it stores itself everywhere that's unflattering.

so this whole eating something small all day has been a challenge.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Just getting started! That was the HARDEST thing to do:ohwell:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    DIET PEPSI is the :devil:
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Patience. :mad:

Its a marathon not a sprint and it is tuff sometimes.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Cutting out Sweet tea-you know the good southern kind with 2 cups of sugar in a gallon - oh yeah I went there I was drinking about 64 oz of sweet tea daily with no water - now it's water

don't you mean tea with your sugar. i live just outside charleston, sc. and that is what everyone says here. i drink mine unsweet, transplant from CA.
  • mamakitty
    mamakitty Posts: 249
    Sweets and wine. I love a glass of wine after a stressful day and a few glasses on the weekend.
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    ICE CREAM

it is the :devil:

I... have... to... have... it...

can't... resist...

There, I said it... LOL

I've been substituting with Rainbow Sherbet and Kroger's Cherry Cordial no sugar added

and, when we go to DQ I have a Junior Twist cone now along with my kids instead of a Snickers Blizzard!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I have to say it... My biggest obstacle is my husband! Once I get started, I'm very motivated, and don't mind the exercise or the healthier foods. But....

He says he needs to lose weight too... then comes home and walks in with a bag from Hardee's. Mind you, I love Hardee's thickburgers. He used to bring me one, but now knows better. But the smell still gets to me, and I find myself tearing through the cupboards and fridge to find something that will satisfy the craving that hits me. It's not just the Hardee's though. It's everything. Last night, he deep fried mozzarella sticks and cheese nuggets. And then had warm chocolate chip cookies and ice cream with chocolate sauce.

I know now that this is a weakness, so I've asked him not to eat next to me. It works better if he eats in another room, but most of the time, I have to be the one to leave the room. Is this fair?
    -Robin
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    I have to say it... My biggest obstacle is my husband! Once I get started, I'm very motivated, and don't mind the exercise or the healthier foods. But....

He says he needs to lose weight too... then comes home and walks in with a bag from Hardee's. Mind you, I love Hardee's thickburgers. He used to bring me one, but now knows better. But the smell still gets to me, and I find myself tearing through the cupboards and fridge to find something that will satisfy the craving that hits me. It's not just the Hardee's though. It's everything. Last night, he deep fried mozzarella sticks and cheese nuggets. And then had warm chocolate chip cookies and ice cream with chocolate sauce.

I know now that this is a weakness, so I've asked him not to eat next to me. It works better if he eats in another room, but most of the time, I have to be the one to leave the room. Is this fair?
    -Robin

I think it's all a part of the challenge ....outside of your home you'll see folks eating all sorts of unhealthy things.... we're challenged every day....we become stronger and make healthier choices as we continue on our journeys....our life long journeys...

If he knows he being inconsiderate and doing it anyway..well, that's a big time bummer ...if he's unaware of how hard it is because he's not changing his patterns you are....then I think that's a bit different.

If I need to leave a place to stay in a better place regarding staying healthier, then it's what I need to do for myself. I no longer blame others that make their own choices.... it's a very freeing feeling!