De-clutter your life, lose weight!

Options
Ok, so I am not an expert of any sort but I can tell you that my past and current success on losing weight all started with one simple task - MAKING MY BED.

I know many of us that struggle with our weight have messy rooms or a dirty kitchen. All of this stems from our inability to commit to anything. Since I've started my new lifestyle, I've made my bed every morning. At first it was such a drag for me but I soon realized that it led up to me cleaning my kitchen & bathroom really well once a week. That led to me making my meals at home and then that led up to me going to the gym regulary.

Therefore, there is a link between weight loss success and how tidy your place is. Start with something small maybe its taking out the trash, making your bed, or washing the dishes after your meals but trust me it helps. Does any one agree with my theory? Please let me know how de-cluttering your life helped you to succeed on your weight loss goals.

Replies

• spim
    spim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! Also taking into account the link between overweight people and depression, having a tidy space can only be a positive thing. And as we all know, cleaning and tidying = exercise!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    when my place is tidy I definitely feel happier and more outgoing, quite possibly leading to eating well (energy to cook) and exercising!
  • annastacia10
    annastacia10 Posts: 106
    Options
    OMG! I have been doing the making my bed everyday thing too! And it feels so great to come home to a nicely made bed after a long day of work and exercise. So cool that you brought this up. Great post!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree totally, when the house is clean, I dont feel overwhelmed. So therefore I feel more relaxed! But when I slip I get lazy and make bad choices.
  • tkrallman
    tkrallman Posts: 29
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! I also have to add when you are working out more and not sitting on your hiney on the couch all night you have more energy to actually feel like doing all of those tidious household chores. One positive change leads to many others.

Positive in = Positive out!
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Options
    :smile: Never thought about any of this, but I am messy soooo think I'll give it a whirl! Thanks for a new way of looking at things!:smile:
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    That so totally makes sense. Nice. :flowerforyou:
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Are we the same people? lol I totally agree with your theory.
  • bpdai
    bpdai Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I believe that you have hit the nail on the head! I can always tell when things in my life are getting out of control by the condition of the bed. Well made - things are great Sloppy but pulled together - DANGER ZONE! Un-made bed - TROUBLE! Funny how that works, but it does. I am glad that someone else has found out what I thought was my secret "symptom."
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    So true! After I worked out today, I unloaded & reloaded the dishwasher and then vacuumed the whole house!
  • stylelush646
    stylelush646 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    :smile: Never thought about any of this, but I am messy soooo think I'll give it a whirl! Thanks for a new way of looking at things!:smile:

you are most welcome. glad that i was able to encourage someone today! :)
  • califigureeight
    Options
    You are absolutely right! I have realized the same thing about myself. I have a saying "Cleaning cause clutter causes confusion" and I can directly relate that when I clean my room (where I spend most of my time) I have better weigh ins. I just cleaned my room today so let's see how the weigh in goes :)
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Could not agree more.
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree! I read a book that goes with this - called "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?' by Peter Walsh.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Niecy Nash on Clean House always says that clutter "is an outward manifestation of inner turmoil."

For a lot of us, excess weight is body clutter.
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I went through a divorce two years ago. When we first divorced and separated all of our belongings I had 11 years of marriage "stuff" accumulated. Everything I had was associated with that married life. I got depressed looking at the boxes, or certain things around the house. This spring I started going through every room and decluttering. I emptied tons of boxes, cleaned out closets, etc. My home is now reflecting the happy life we have now, and not a shadow of the depressing one I did have.

Now I am decluttering my body :)
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options
    ITA with this. When I am at my best,( and thinnest )is the times when I take the time to care for all aspects of my life. I heard one time, Messy house = Messy life. IMO messy life times are when people really don't take care of themselves.
  • LittleBuddy13
    LittleBuddy13 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    great post , I do agree with this.
  • balston2010
    balston2010 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i am going to start trying that!!!
  • RobynH1234
    RobynH1234 Posts: 13
    Options
    just joined the site here.. Has anyone here heard of fly lady.. It is the basic same idea..
    She calls it living in Chaos or Cant Have Anyone Over Syndrome...

I've been doing little15 min cleaning spurts daily and feel much better... Day one on my healthy life plan and am feeling great... Make your bed sounds like a great start!!