MFP Runners' Club-October 17

Options
Where is everyone?!? It is a wet, dreary day in IA. I hope Areay has a gorgeous day in VEGAS!!!

I did Kempo X this a.m. No runs for me until Sunday. I am the last leg in our relay team, so I'll be doing 6.2 miles at about noon Sunday.

What's up for everyone else? Workout today? Races this weekend?

Replies

• 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Where is everyone?!? It is a wet, dreary day in IA. I hope Areay has a gorgeous day in VEGAS!!!

I did Kempo X this a.m. No runs for me until Sunday. I am the last leg in our relay team, so I'll be doing 6.2 miles at about noon Sunday.

What's up for everyone else? Workout today? Races this weekend?
  • seegirlrun
    Options
    Hi Teach! You pushed me out the door. It's wet and dreary here in No. Atlanta, too, but I went on my run just so I could keep you company. Very slow and very painful. It was not nearly as fun as earlier this week. Maybe it is time for new shoes. 4.75 miles, of which, I walked 1/2 mile (warm-up and cool-down).

So, question for you runners. What kind of shoes do you wear? I go to true running stores to get fitted and currently am wearing a stability shoe - New Balance 768 in a narrow size but I don't know that it's the best shoe for me.

I am a defniite mid to forefoot striker so the soft cushy heal does nada for me. I'd like to find a shoe with a little stability and lots of forefoot cushion. I pronate a lot when I walk but not when I run (forefoot stike keeps me from pronating too much, I think). 5'4", 147 pounds, 20 miles a week, concrete and asphalt. Any opinions?
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    Teach: I went out for my run and just missed the rain (NW Iowa) at 5:30. Did 4.5 miles and headed back, thinking we were getting more. Just dreary today. I was hoping to get outside with the little ones, but it's looking chilly. I am 4/5 time at my school (counselor) so I'm lucky to have Fridays OFF!!!:tongue: Maybe the sun will break through. Blah....
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    Lisa: I'm in the schools too. I teach second grade-the kids are at Art right now.
    It is a dreary day :grumble:

McGlinchy: Thanks for the company this am!

I am wearing a Sauccany (sp) right now. I had an Asics that I really liked, but I hit the inside of the left shoe somehow, and wore away the fabric. Weird! I have gone to a small sporting good store in the past, but I'm going to a new running store next time. I went to a reputable running store, but I was disappointed in the service. I took old shoes in and talked about my habits and goals, but the clerk didn't seem too interested. So, a new one for the next investment, which good shoes definitely are!
  • tweety3
    tweety3 Posts: 118
    Options
    Hey teach! 1st grade here in Missouri!!! Love love love it!!
    Well I ran 6.5 miles today. I am really doing bad with my time!! Anyone have any tips for speeding things up a bit? It was a cool day here, started to drizzle while I was out. Still had 2 miles to get back and was getting woried but it held off! All in all it was a great run!:drinker:
  • 515TeachNRun
    Options
    I am not a fast runner, either. I have been incorporating tempo runs and speedwork into my weekly routine. We'll see if that helps on Sunday :wink:

Let's hear it for all the running educators! :drinker:
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    Woo hoo teachers! Anyone else counting down until holiday vacations? :happy:
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    I'm going crazy not running due to tapering for my 1/2 marathon on Sunday. It is hard to stay within calories when I'm not getting my runs in. Sore hamstrings so I'm not risking any sort of workout, I am excited to go get my race kit tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Kim
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Today was my day off. Yesterday I got in a fabulous 3.5 mile run in the evening...it was cool and balmy and I was fast (for me)! Tomorrow I'm running 6 miles.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to send out a big "YYAHHHH"!!! I was "off running" (doctors orders) the last three months, and missed a HM I was signed up for. But I followed all instructions and today was my first run since August. Wasn't fast and wasn't long, but I'm just so HAPPY to be back out there!!!