Anyone lost enough weight to stop using CPAP machine?

Options
I think one of my long term goals is to lose enough weight to stop using my C-PAP machine for sleep apnea. I developed this problem about 10 years ago, and have gone through two machines already. Every night I put on mask and turn on the air and wish I didn't have to do it. One of the sleep doctors told me I could potentially stop using the machine if I lost A LOT of weight.

I know sleep apnea is often associated with Obesity, but I haven't personally talked to anyone who lost enough to stop using theirs. Is this an attainable goal?

Replies

• Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My wife did. She used a CPAP for about 2 or 3 years, but has since lost over 90 lbs and doesn't need it anymore. I'm so happy for her, but I also kind of miss it, LOL. The sound of that thing was very soothing... :)
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I was on the fence with my doctors about using a CPAP... I've lost more inches than weight... But, it's made all of the difference in the world! No more sleep apnea for me!
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    I have both central and obstructive sleep apnea....the obstuctive is due to my weight and the central is due to my brain. Don't know if ill ever not need it, but we'll see!
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I've got a few patient that got off it, so there is hope