working out around work schedule?

Options
Lately my work schedule has been really screwy. I work in a group home setting and shifts vary from afternoons to overnights to 14 hour weekends. I've always struggled with making time to work out, especially when I can't necessarily have a set routine. I usually do okay with working out on my days off, but sometimes those days are few and far between. Any suggestions for making time and/or motivating myself on work days?

Replies

• Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It's tough but you just have to commit to it. I travel every week Mon - Thurs and the two days that I fly take a huge chunk out of my day. But even if I walk in the door at 9pm I get out to the gym to do my workout. And I do my runs in the morning so that nothing will prevent me from running.

Try and get up early and do it on days you're not working in the morning. Days that you are working...do a 30 minute workout at lunch.
  • racerchick48
    racerchick48 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My days off aren't usually the problem (other than not having enough of them!). We don't get breaks where we can leave the workplace due to only having one or two staff on each shift. And I know I have a tendency to put working out on the back burner on days I work, and tell myself I have too many things to get done before work, or I need sleep, or whatever the excuse I come up with happens to be :-) do you have problems falling asleep if you work out late in the evening?
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    My days off aren't usually the problem (other than not having enough of them!). We don't get breaks where we can leave the workplace due to only having one or two staff on each shift. And I know I have a tendency to put working out on the back burner on days I work, and tell myself I have too many things to get done before work, or I need sleep, or whatever the excuse I come up with happens to be :-) do you have problems falling asleep if you work out late in the evening?

I work with Consumers who are developmentally delayed in a day program setting. I also have work in the group homes so I understand where you're coming from. The weekend shifts are 12 hours long and you get no break. I don't know which kind of home you work at but I would suggest taking the clients out for a walk. Also, you can just do that when you get home from work. You might be tired but you need to push through it. The little things count!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to force myself to get up 1.5 hours before I need to in order to work out. I just won't do it otherwise. It sucks. I am NOT a morning person. I love sleep. But it's important to me and makes me feel great the rest of the day.
  • racerchick48
    Options
    I work with developmentally disabled consumers in a home setting. The consumers I work with are older and not as interested in going for a walk, even if I push them in a wheelchair, but I have convinced them a few times now that the weather is nicer, so that helps. Hopefully I can work up to making it a daily thing with at least one person!

I'm not a morning person either. I've tried setting my alarm and even telling my husband to kick me out of bed when it goes off if I don't get up, but apparently I'm quite cranky in the mornings when he tries :-) how do you make yourself get up?
  • jeannette120
    jeannette120 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I get home around 7-8 pm from work. I work out for 30-45 minutes before my dinner. I dont have a problem falling asleep around 11:30 pm or so. You might try working out in the evening see if it affects your sleep pattern. I do need to make sure that as soon as I get home, I immediately get on my stationary bike or swim before I do anything else. If I relax too much when I get home, I usually never make it to the workout.
  • racerchick48
    Options
    I will have to try working out right after I get home. I've been worried about not being able to sleep, but I know there's going to have to be a sacrifice somewhere!