Back hurts when doing ab work

Options
bonniejo
bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
Why does my back hurt when I work on my abs? Is it incorrect form?

Replies

• _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to see others comments on this... mine does too...and so does my neck even when I do all the little things the video tells me, not pulling on my neck, looking at the ceiling etc...etc....
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    Same here!! Good question!
  • nmm10
    nmm10 Posts: 12
    Options
    What types of ab exercises are you doing?
  • teacher4380
    Options
    My trainer always told me to stop when your ab work starts to hurt in your back as your ab muscles are giving out or are totally exhausted! Be careful with your back!!! You had mentioned incorrect form, which could also be a contributing factor, but just keep listening to your body!!! Get it checked out if it continues!!! Good luck!!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    It means your back muscles need to be strengthened too, as they work opposite each other.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Core exercises usually work the lower back as well as the abdominal muscles, so your lower back muscles could just be sore/strained from performing the exercises, since I'm assuming you're not used to just working out your back.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If it's your lower back, then probably yes it is incorrect form, especially if you are doing anything that involves laying on your back and lowering and raising your legs from perpendicular to the floor down to parallel to the floor and back up again. It means your core isn't strong enough to do this on its own, so it's recruiting your hip flexors (some of which connect to your lower back) to help out and those muscles are being overworked.

Try holding front and side planks for as long as you can (start with 20 seconds and when you can do that without shaking, make it 30, then 40, then 50...). When you can do each one for two minutes without sagging or collapsing, then try the leg-ab workouts again.

If this doesn't sound like what you're doing - can you give more description? What are you doing?
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It means your back muscles need to be strengthened too, as they work opposite each other.

I agree with this!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If you're doing crunches and situps then yes, your lower back will likely hurt over time. You're flexing your spine and that's really not good. I believe the term is called Lordosis. I USE to do a lot of crunches, cable pulldowns and since I injured a disc in my back my therapist says I am not to do them and doesn't recommend anybody do them for that matter. Stick to lifts that require you to use your legs and iso-kinetic flexion exercises.

Here's a good example of method I tried recently and it's very effective. Not only do my abs feel stronger but my back feels MUCH better. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/iron_core_how_to_build_a_punchproof_body

The exercises may look easy, that is one hell of an athlete demo'ing them, and I promise they're not.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    What types of ab exercises are you doing?

I'm doing the ChaLean Ab work outs - crunches, reverse crunches,... All on the floor stuff. My abs are actually pretty well defined (they feel like a wall below the bit of fat on my stomach!) from club dancing, but I don't think my back has much strength... The good thing is ChaLean also has back excercises in her videos, so hopefully that'll decrease over time?

As for which part of my back, it's more lower middle or so
  • nmm10
    nmm10 Posts: 12
    Options
    I've had the same problem when I was in competitive gymnastics. We spent most of our time doing ab work and neglected our lower back. I ended up having to do physical therapy to strengthen my lower back muscles to balance it out. But I believe it could also be due to incorrect form. I think I remember hearing on a bender ball video that if you aren't squeezing your core while doing the abs exercises you could be hurting your back. But I'm not completely sure.