Vitamin help...

Options
I'm a vegetarian, and my doctor recommended I start taking vitamins because I wasn't getting ccertain things I needed. I have a problem though, I'm taking centrum silver and it always makes me nauseous. Does anyone else have this problem? Or a solution?

Replies

• Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have to take my vitamins with a meal other wise I feel nauseous.
  • nthnglsts
    nthnglsts Posts: 7
    Options
    I take One a Day multi for women and if I don't take it during my meal it does upset my stomach. :smile: Try taking a few bites of food then the vitamin and then finish eating.
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    Take your multivitamin with a meal. Multivitamins often contain iron or other minerals that will upset your stomach if there is no other material (food) in there to raise the pH. I, also, would suggest switching to One-A-Day as the ratio/combination is likely more suitable for your age.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    Ugh, I've always had this problem with vitamins. They make me so sick to my stomach, it will usually pass within a few minutes, but that couple of minutes of feeling like I'm going to throw up is pure agony. I've tried taking them with food, but it doesn't help.

I think it might be the iron in the vitamins, which I'm sure is one of the things your doctor wants you to get more of. When I was pregnant I had to take iron pills and I had the same reaction to those, that's why I think it's the iron.

Maybe try a different brand? I don't take vitamins anymore and I know I should. I hope you get some good recommendations!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hey kiddo!
    I have the same problem. I take mine at night, not necessarily on a full stomach but by no means an empty one after a day's worth of eating. I've been taking One a Day Women's. How did you come to pick Centrum Silver? I by no means want to contradict your doctor if that's what you were told to take, but I would think at your age a basic or women's formula would be better for you. Centrum Silver is designed for the 50+ crowd.
    Talk to Andrea or Alicia, too about what they do for nutritional support since they are both vegetarians (though I think Alicia eats shrimp from time to time.) I am personally a card carrying carnivore so I can't help ya there, :bigsmile:
    Good luck! Glad to see you out here!

L
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    What 'things' are you needing you can't get from your diet? They are likely not in a 'multivitamin' anyways.
  • CuddleBloom
    Options
    L,
    My mother picked them out for me. She figured I'd need extra because I wasn't eating as much with these carnivores I'm living with. I'll try the one-a-day brand and see if it helps me any. I do take my vitamins at night and with a meal, so it probably is the iron content. I'll see what I can find about that.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cut the pill in half. Most of the time multivitamins have way more % then we need in a day and our body just gets rid of what we don't need so by cutting the pill in half and take one in the morning and one in afternoon, saves you money so you do not have to spend more and allows your body to actually absorb the vitamins.
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    I'm still skeptical of multi-vitamins, unless you are not eating plants and animals or have a proven deficiency. If you feel well and are healthy perhaps you can donate them to someone who needs them :)

L,
    My mother picked them out for me. She figured I'd need extra because I wasn't eating as much with these carnivores I'm living with. I'll try the one-a-day brand and see if it helps me any. I do take my vitamins at night and with a meal, so it probably is the iron content. I'll see what I can find about that.
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. I take it with lunch or right after lunch. If I take it in the AM I don't feel well.