Net Calories

Meljeanp
Meljeanp Posts: 8 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
Ok, so I am totally lost on some of these calorie things, lol. What exactly are "net calories"? And also, I have heard about how your supposed to eat back the calories you burn....any advice? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone! :)

Replies

• jennyrowell
    jennyrowell Posts: 24 Member
    If you want to lose, don't eat ALL your burned calories...I did that one week and maintained. I eat fewer than 1/2 of them if I'm hungry!! Net is what you have eaten minus your exercise!!!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Net calories are what you have left after exercise, you should eat most of your exercise calories to lose weight. It keeps your body fueled. Check out my diary, I ate back most of my calories today but I can't eat them all because I'm just not that hungry.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Just like your income, there's gross, then there's net (what you get after taxes). So your gross cals are what you eat, your net cals are gross cals - exercise cals.

Great explanation here in the very first post of this thread explains why YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST eat those exercise calories and net your BMR:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

In order to maximize lean muscle and minimize fat, and to amp up your metabolism (which will in turn burn calories FOR you, while you sleep), you must eat the exercise calories. Ask any athlete, or fit healthy person who has maintained for at least a few years.

blessings.
This discussion has been closed.