best way to tone up?

Options
I'm about 6lbs away from my goal weight. I have been doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I finished one month of it already and I'm doing it all over again. I jog/walk 20 minutes 3-4 days a week too. I still don't feel like I look any different. I have lost some inches but not many. I feel like I look like just a smaller version of my former self, but not a more toned or muscular version. What in the world can I do to build more muscle and get rid of some fat?? I don't eat super great, I try and I do good til about 3pm and that's when snack cravings begin and the dinner is usually take out or something like that. But can diet really affect my muscle and fat so much? I use 5lb weights while doing Jillian Michaels and I never miss a workout. Help me! I don't want to look like some fitness model but maybe a body like jennifer anniston would be nice, toned but not manly.

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly in the same boat. Curious to see the answers...
  • BeeHummingbird
    Options
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I keep trying the 30DS, but I just can't keep up with it. I get bored easily. I can't do the same workout everyday or I get bored and don't try as hard. So I have to keep changing it up. You are obviously consistent, but maybe you would benefit from adding more variety into your workout routine?

I typically workout 6-7 days a week. On my "rest" day I'll usually at least go for a walk or go swimming. I feel lazy if I don't do anything! I try to do different things everyday that target different areas... An example of some of the different things I'm currently doing are: walking, jogging, stairs, hula hooping, yoga, rock climbing, dancing, push-ups, weights, hiking, swimming, and tennis. Switching it up keeps my muscles always guessing, which is a good thing. Also since I do a variety of things, I feel like my whole body gets a workout. Maybe try adding in some new workouts?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My opinion, the best way to "tone up" is lift weights. Not the low weight/high rep stuff, a normal program where you are doing enough weight to get between 6-12 reps per set. Hit each body part once/week.
    IF, you are one of the rare women that responds quickly as you start adding too much muscle, then just back off, it's not like you are going to wake up one morning looking like a female body builder.
    And if you are looking to add muscle, you may want to try and up you calories too. Or at the very least increase your protein amounts a little if you hit hte weights hard.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My opinion, the best way to "tone up" is lift weights. Not the low weight/high rep stuff, a normal program where you are doing enough weight to get between 6-12 reps per set. Hit each body part once/week.
    IF, you are one of the rare women that responds quickly as you start adding too much muscle, then just back off, it's not like you are going to wake up one morning looking like a female body builder.
    And if you are looking to add muscle, you may want to try and up you calories too. Or at the very least increase your protein amounts a little if you hit hte weights hard.

Exactly! :flowerforyou:
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I've read this before.....it sums it all up quite nicely. Unfortunately, eating poorly every afternoon is going to hinder your chances of becoming more lean, and thus displaying your muscle. I too eat junk food, and know that is a major reason why I do not look like Jennifer Aniston (who, by the way, has a rocking, highly above average body and should not be used as a "settle on that" type goal). Keep working out, and try to replace some of your junk food snack with fruits, veggies, and LEAN PROTEIN, and you should start to see more definition.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Yes, diet is actually about 70% of getting/staying in shape IMO. If you are going to continue with 30DS, you should up the weight to 8lbs for as many exercises as you can. You need to either increase reps or weight if you want to see a change. I also highly recommend adding pilates 3 or 4 days a week. I enjoy it so much that I have done it every single day for the last 6 months and have seen an incredible change in my body. I actually have abs now(not so visible due to a little extra skin from having a baby 17 months ago), but I'm getting there. It totally changes your body for the better.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Also, maybe you are not eating enough in the AM and that is why you are so hungry by the afternoon.