question about daily calorie limit

Options
Im just wondering if any of you stay at your daily calorie limit or if your usually under.....my limit is 1200 but im normally a bit under. Ive been doing this for about 2 weeks now and the 4 lbs that i have lost have come back... i am drinking lots of water and have been working out everyday for about 20-40 min.... anybody know whats going on?

Replies

• MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Is your activity level high? I tried to stay at 1200, but had to bump up to 1400 at one point because I was burning more calories, and it just slowed my metabolism down. I would try to bump it up, and def stay on the water! :)

Hope this helps! Oh-and I stay between 1200-1450. I am nursing a one yr old, plus I workout a little bit when I feel like it LOL
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    you are not eating enough!

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories your body starts to go into "starvation mode" and will hold on to any extra calories because it thinks you are starving. Try to get up to at least your calorie minimum, especially if you are burning more from work outs. Your body won't think you're starving and allow your metabolism to start working normally :)
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories your body starts to go into "starvation mode" and will hold on to any extra calories because it thinks you are starving. Try to get up to at least your calorie minimum, especially if you are burning more from work outs. Your body won't think you're starving and allow your metabolism to start working normally :)
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You need to be netting at least 1200 daily... plus, as you've been told, activity level can play a part. Sometimes you have to eat more to lose more... sounds counter-productive, but I know from experience that it's true. Bump your calories to 1300 and try to eat between 1200 and 1300 and stay on that water and I bet your numbers move in the right direction. Good luck!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are netting close to 1200 calories a day.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Anytime you reduce your calories, you will hit homeostasis. It’s not a “starvation mode” issue. You can be in “starvation mode” eating 3000 calories a day. Make sure your macro nutrients are the same ratio, more than likely you’re consuming more carbs, and reducing your protein, which could contribute to body fat gain.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    If it is new to your body, then your body will rebell. I eat less and for me it works. I burn 1000-1300 calories 5 days a week and walk on the weekends. It could be your body adjusting and clothing is a good clue. If it's getting lose your losing weight even if the scale doesn't budge. I started eating 1200 and dropped to between 800-1000 calories per day. This is not for everyone but it works for me. 46 days, 23+ pounds and size 16 to size 10 and still losing. For some people eating more works. I've noticed other short people on this site such as myself (4'11) deal with the same thing. If I eat after 8pm I retain it even if I'm under my goal. Just pay attention to your body. If your getting allot of excess salt that your eating unaware that could be it or suger. It's a balance. Try changing it up. Sometimes our body gets used to what were doing so it is good to change it up. Be blessed and keep going. You will make it.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    If it is new to your body, then your body will rebell. I eat less and for me it works. I burn 1000-1300 calories 5 days a week and walk on the weekends. It could be your body adjusting and clothing is a good clue. If it's getting lose your losing weight even if the scale doesn't budge. I started eating 1200 and dropped to between 800-1000 calories per day. This is not for everyone but it works for me. 46 days, 23+ pounds and size 16 to size 10 and still losing. For some people eating more works. I've noticed other short people on this site such as myself (4'11) deal with the same thing. If I eat after 8pm I retain it even if I'm under my goal. Just pay attention to your body. If your getting allot of excess salt that your eating unaware that could be it or suger. It's a balance. Try changing it up. Sometimes our body gets used to what were doing so it is good to change it up. Be blessed and keep going. You will make it.

But, as stated, this isn't for everybody... I am also 4'11" and I was GAINING eating less than 1200... I bumped my calories to 1300 and have been losing steady... down 34 pounds in 4 1/2 months.... just sayin'
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Nobody should consistently eat fewer than 1200 NET calories (calories consumed - calories burned) in a day. I do sometimes hit a little under one or two days a week, but otherwise try to keep it at that level. And definitely make sure you're eating back most of your workout calories. When I hit a plateau I started eating MORE and started losing again.
  • mlj2011
    mlj2011 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for asking that question...I wnet to complete my entry, was feeling bummed b/c of lack of resultes, then found the comment/question that was on my mind already written. Every comment was so helpful from the body in "starvation mode" therory, to the body hitting "homeostasis" to my favorite, fit4mom, "just pay attention to your body", "be blessed & keep going"
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I have eaten my calorie goal and I gained weight. It is just something that doesn't work for me. I don't know why what's working for me offends people. I haven't been neg. to anyone on the forums but I get picked out. I'm glad that for those who CAN eat more and lose weight. I can not and never have been able to. But that is just me. I've had experience the past 15 years with myself and losing weight. Be blessed everyone :smile:
  • mlj2011
    mlj2011 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for asking that question...I went to complete my entry, was feeling bummed b/c of lack of resultes, then found the comment/question that was on my mind already written. Every comment was so helpful, from the body in "starvation mode" therory, to the body hitting "homeostasis" to my favorite, fit4mom, "just pay attention to your body", "be blessed & keep going" thnak you.