The cost of a healthy diet - its madness!!

Options
13»

Replies

• eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    No question, a pint of fresh blueberries always is going to look expensive next to that 99-cent tub of Wendy's chili. But you know, basically, what you're getting with the blueberries, especially if you're shopping at a farmer's market. God only knows what Wendy's is doing to make a profit on that chili.

All the suggestions on the board are good. Buy fresh, and FREEZE. I can't eat anywhere near all the berries I buy from the farmer's market right now, but they'll be great in a smoothie in a few weeks.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of frozen and canned vegetables and fruits in lieu of fresh because of the price.

Also- whole grains like brown rice and barley are pretty low in price if bought in bulk.
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    The true 'cost' is actually less!. Consider factoring in "lifestyle mitigation" pharmaceuticals suchas insulin, hypertension, blood pressure drugs AND quality of life/morbidity issues.
    Striving for Health makes our short time on earth better.
    :)
  • crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! It was interesting reading your thoughts on the subject.

I wish that I had a garden as I would try and grow my own fruit and veg................. But I don't.
    I wish I had the time to make ALL my meals from scratch....................................... But I don't.
    I wish I didn't work everyday so that I could get to markets and get better deals on fruit & veg......... But I do.

I have never lived on rubbishy crisps, fatty foods, burgers etc and I don't intend to start now just to save money! I was just pointing out the massive difference in the cost of healthy food compared to the unhealthy options.

I will continue to choose the fruit & veg even if its expensive. Its the right choice!!!
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    Thats a crazy price for Cherries, i love them (help with Gout apparently, but i remain skeptical). Morrisons have 250 g for a quid. But my wife and i have been doing this for 3 months and the shopping bills have rocketed, although we are eating out far less so i guess it works out cheaper!
  • 100lb
    100lb Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thats a crazy price for Cherries, i love them (help with Gout apparently, but i remain skeptical). Morrisons have 250 g for a quid. But my wife and i have been doing this for 3 months and the shopping bills have rocketed, although we are eating out far less so i guess it works out cheaper!

Asda have similar quid lines (incl cherries). It great that fruit is becoming cheaper
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    One way to save money is to stop following fads and chasing "superfoods". Basic foods will work just fine, as well as buying what's in season. Are you really going to eat pomegranates the rest of your life? Every week there is another article touting the "benefits" of some new exotic food. After a while, your list would be so long it would take forever to eat. Just my $.02
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lol, you guys all think it is expensive, try living in NZ, the price of food here just goes up and up. You think that living here with abundant food and lots of cows it would be cheaper here, but no, unfortunatley lack of competition and giant coorporations that state that we pay the "international price" of our products that get exported. We have had about a 7% increase in food prices since last year, with wages static (they also are less then what they are in Eu).

A 2 L bottle of milk here costs about NZ$4.50-$5, around 2.5 pounds, decent brown bread around NZ$4-$5. When cherries are in season here they are around $15 per kilo, currently cauliflours are $4 at the farmers market and $5-6 at the supermarket, and broccolli is $3-4 each. Needless to say that it will be more frozen peas this week, and I didn't get any brocolli as the qualitiy also didn't look that great. We do however have great frozen berries, I buy blackcurrents as they have more antioxidants then blueberries and they only cost $8 per kilo for my smoothies, blueberries also cost about twice as much at $13. Even apples cost $4-5 per kilo at the supermarket- usually buy cheaper lower quality ones at the farmers market. Kiwifruit is in season here so that is not too expensive ($1.5/kg), and the same with our oranges ($2.5/kg).

It is currently winter here so I wouldn't even think about buying things like red and green capsicum ($18/kg) which has gone up way more then it ever has in previous winters.

I suppose that is the price we pay for living here.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I love our local farmers markets! Try them!