Need Advice on Training for 1/2 Marathon

Options
I would like to run a 1/2 marathon at the end of November. From what I have been told the course is flat and it is a relatively easy 1/2 marathon. Of course that would be relative for me..:) I am currently finishing week 2 of the couch to 5k. I have run on and off for the past couple of years, but never that distance. At my peak, I ran 5-6 miles 4 days a week... Here's my question.... Is it possible to train for and run a 1/2 on Nov 20. If so, how should I go about training..

Replies

• ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that we moved and adopted a baby, so I didn't run for about 6 months until starting again a couple weeks ago.. I am somewhat deconditioned, but I know it will come back quickly...
  • cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    hi there! i'm currently training for one in november and i definitely think it's possible. most training plans only have you train up to 10 miles before the actual race so getting there will be a challenge, but doable. i use this website for my training and really like it! it starts assuming you can run 3 miles but you have a few extra weeks so you can use that time to build up to that point. hope this helps - best of luck!
    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would like to run a 1/2 marathon at the end of November. From what I have been told the course is flat and it is a relatively easy 1/2 marathon. Of course that would be relative for me..:) I am currently finishing week 2 of the couch to 5k. I have run on and off for the past couple of years, but never that distance. At my peak, I ran 5-6 miles 4 days a week... Here's my question.... Is it possible to train for and run a 1/2 on Nov 20. If so, how should I go about training..

It's possible, yes. The question is whether it's advisable. I'd be worried about developing an overuse injury trying to get to a base of 25mpw in such a short time.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    i use this website for my training and really like it!
    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

I'm using Higdon's plan, too. I did his 10K plan for a 10mile race, and it was great. In a few weeks I'll start the half-marathon training for a race on Oct. 9th. You should be fine if your race isn't until Nov. Look at his plan, count back the weeks, and start building your base now. Sounds like you have the experience, you just need to rebuild your base again. Make sure you do some cross-training, too, to help with your endurance.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I am considering doing one next spring with a friend! I have ran several 3k and 5k's since I began running 3 years ago. It still makes me very nervous! I was glad to see someone else ask this question and thanks for the website for training advice... Will definitely use that!! Best wishes to all!
  • ardeornellis
    Options
    Just went to the website and looks doable.. I can complete the c25k in the next 6 weeks and that will put me on track with this training plan.. Thanks so much guys!!
  • cvstokke
    Options
    Yay I'm so glad so many people are thinking about doing it! I'm really excited about mine (it's also in November) - maybe we should form some sort of group if people want to train just to keep each other encouraged!
  • ardeornellis
    Options
    That's a great idea... I looked at where I am in the C25k and I can just combine a little.. Instead of starting week 3 on Sunday, I will move on to week 3 tomorrow and run week 3 tomorrow and sat and then start week 4 that monday.. This will only give me 2 days on week 2 and 3, but I can handle that.. I've done the c25k before, so it was just a comfortable starting place.. I will finish that and roll right into the Hal Higdon training program putting me on schedule for a Nov 20 1/2..... I'm sorry I'm so wordy.. I'm SO excited to have a plan.. I am VERY motivated by goals such as these.. Weight loss alone isn't a great enough motivator anymore.. I'm horrible at computers and boards, etc... So...figure that group out and I'm in... Post here so those of us who have posted will know to go over and join:)

Thanks,
    Amy
  • cvstokke
    Options
    I don't know much about groups either but I'll try to figure something out haha
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    the biggest challenge is between your ears. :) i did my first one last october and just had my second half in june. i am running a full this october and another half in november.

you have time... i recommend halhigdon.com as he has GREAT beginner plans... i followed his half marathon plan and it worked great. it is a 12 week program.

let me know if you need any tips. :)
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    woops! just saw you already know about hal. :) great. good luck!!!
  • ardeornellis
    Options
    Thanks Raenne... I just came in from my run this morning.. I am looking forward to making this long time goal a reality.. Congrats on running yours, and a marathon this year!!! GREAT job!!! A marathon has been my "back burner" goal for several years.... Time to bring it to the front! Thanks for the encouragement!!