In a dinner rut!

Options
mbeuchert24
mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
Not only do we need healthier options, we need DIFFERENT options. We eat the same things over and over again. So throw your ideas at me. Part of my problem is that my husband is PICKY...so I need LOTS of ideas he he, to come up with something he'll like.

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Crockpot Turkey chili
    Crockpot Chicken Torilla soup

Grilled chicken/Turkey breasts

Pan seared Fish (not breaded)

Lean Hamsteaks
    Lean Steaks (rib-eye, filet, etc)

Steamed/grilled veggies of all kinds

etc... ☺
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hello, Somone on posted a site called skinnytaste.com It looks great with lots of idea's. Hope that helps and I wish you all the best with your journey
    Dana
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    last night:
    boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed, cooked with only enough oil to keep it from sticking
    in another pan: equal parts cubes small red potatoes and zuccinni with tiny amount of oil, salt pepper & garlic, just toss them a bit so they stay crisp.
    cottage cheese

My kids all went for seconds on the vegis. I think next time I'll try it with carrots & zuccinni
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    What sort of foods is he willing to eat?

A favorite of my husband's is shepard's pie, which isn't the healthiest. I lighten it up by mixing a lot of veg in with the meat layer (some sauteed spinach, bell peppers, etc). We use a lot of seasonings on it and we measure out the cheese, so say we're making 4 servings, I measure out 3 servings of cheese and sprinkle that over the top.

Fish tacos are awesome (bake some cod, tilapia, or mahi mahi, sprinkled with taco seasoning and a bit of lime, make up some pico de gallo, put it on a tortilla along with some avocado and a bit of sour cream - I sometimes do mine as a fish taco salad so I do a bed of lettuce instead of the tortilla and then have a half serving of tortilla chips)
  • mbeuchert24
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas so far!!
    What sort of foods is he willing to eat?

Chicken
    Beef (ground or steak)
    Ground Turkey in a meatloaf or sliced a al Thanksgiving

He doesn't eat any seafood other than tuna, he won't eat ham for dinner (I love ham steaks for dinner!), he doesn't like pork chops (though I have been able to get him to eat them), I like to make scalloped or au gratin potatoes and he doesn't like those, but likes mashed or fried potatoes. Hmm, he claims to be alergic to peppers (green, yellow, red etc).

He has to have meat with every meal, whereas I can have a vegetarian entree.

Some of our staples now:

Meatloaf
    Teryiaki steak or chicken
    Homeade pizza
    Pasta/Sauce of any kind
    Homemade mac & cheese
    Hot dogs
    Hamburgers
  • nkrueger1
    nkrueger1 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    try looking for new recipes on this website: www.eatbetteramerica.com
    they have a lot to chose from...:happy:
  • bobbiedr
    bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I love that website! So many good things.

I say, knowing your husband personally, ;) that if you cook it then if he doesn't like it then he can make his own dinner.

That being said...definitely try eatbetteramerica.com. I am always on there for dinner ideas.
  • mbeuchert24
    Options

I love that website! So many good things.

I say, knowing your husband personally, ;) that if you cook it then if he doesn't like it then he can make his own dinner.

That being said...definitely try eatbetteramerica.com. I am always on there for dinner ideas.

LOL...at least I only have 6 more months of having to pick things for him...but really he cooks 90% of the time so I can't complain about that he he...I just gotta make sure I have meals planned out for him to cook. When he leaves I'll have to break out my 30 minute cook book and do a lot of prep work.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Here's an example of our week (with my picky DH eater):

Honey & Mint grilled chicken breasts with arugula salad

Grilled catfish (my DH hated all fish, I made him try catfish, now he likes it, but you can use tuna instead of necessary) with grilled veggies for me (asparagus & tomatoes) and plantain for him with salad

Asian Pork Kabobs with pineapple, rice, mushrooms

Homemade pasta with shrimp, mint-basil pesto, and toasted pinenuts

Homemade pizza (whole wheat crust) - personal sized so custom to however you like (ie, more veggies, white pizza, whathaveyou)

Other thoughts:

chicken tenders made with panko
    sweet potato fries (bake in oven with a bit of spices and olive oil)
    steak and chicken kabob
    fondue with meats and veggies and whatnot (good for having friends over)
    hamburgers stuffed with garlic & blue cheese & whatever
    baby back ribs with dry rub instead of sauce

go to a cooking store together, find a good cookbook, and take it to the store to pick meals for a week

have fun!