ladies--TOM and exercise question

Options
nikibob
nikibob Posts: 165 Member
today is my first day for TOM but i decided not to let it stop my run. i was feeling a little 'blah' but no cramps and no nausea so i packed up and went to the park for my run. after the first mile i slowed to a walk to get a drink of water and in less than 30 seconds out of nowhere these horrible cramps hit me. within another minute it was so bad i wasn't sure i could stay upright to make it to my car and i was trying really hard not to puke from the pain that was even radiating down my legs. i sat in my car, turned the AC on and waited a couple minutes and when they didn't go away i headed home. now, after the 20 minute drive to get home the cramps are all but gone and i'm left wondering, what the hell?? i thought exercise was supposed to help your menstrual cramps, not cause them to flare up like that. i've never had that happen before and was just looking for ladies who may have had a similar experience and maybe an explanation because right now i'm puzzled. thank you in advance!

Replies

• asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Hmmm...that has never happened to me. Were you running on an empty stomach? Hunger and cramps are a lethal combo for me. You might also try a different form of exercise when its that special time. Exercise usually does cause mine to subside so I'm not really sure what happened here.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I've never had this happen, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has an explanation. I'm studying anatomy right now, and just did a chapter on the female reproductive system. The book very clearly stated that exercise would help PMS symptoms. The only thing I can think of is that it might have been related to something else, i.e. muscle strain, lack of oxygen to some of your muscles, etc.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I don't have a real answer for you other than I've never had that happen. When TOM is here I cant go far from home at any time. So I try to workout at home with DVDs. Ab workouts help my cramps the best along with my Rx. I'll also go for a short walk without any running and they seem to lessen.
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    That happened to me but while I was out walking. I think it was a combo of hunger and TOM cramps.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    This happened to me one time too. I was on my period and decided that a walk would help, so I set off to walk to the lake thats by my house and then take a two mile walk around it. Towards the end I started to get really bad cramps, and decided to walk really slow back to my house which is prob. half a mile from the lake. As I turned on to the one street, I actually had to sit down on the sidewalk and curl up in a ball because it hurt so bad..I seriously thought I would not make it back to my house. I also felt really nauseas and once I could get up to walk again, I made it home and threw up right away. The type of pain I had was one that started in my stomach, wrapped around to my back and then went down to my tailbone.. making walking a very painful process. That was the only time that happened.. after that, it never happened again.

I'm not really sure what causes it, and generally exercise is supposed to help. I know what has really helped me, is going on birth control. That took care of my cramps, the fatigue and nausea.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...that has never happened to me. Were you running on an empty stomach? Hunger and cramps are a lethal combo for me. You might also try a different form of exercise when its that special time. Exercise usually does cause mine to subside so I'm not really sure what happened here.

i can't run on an empty stomach or i end up sick all day long so i made sure to eat about an hour and a half before i went.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    maybe it was timing. there could have been tons of factors that came into play besides TOM. i would say try again tomorrow or later this evening
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the weird ones. If I exercise I tend to get worse cramps for like 2 days. Last month I had just started a workout routine and it wasn't too bad. This month I thought I was going to die!!!! I took 1 day off, was only at about 80% for my next day workout and I'm still feeling like I don't want to work out.