Hands swelling when working out?

Options
Not sure what could cause this, but it is a little concerning.
Im a little new to this "healthy" stuff... but I have been doing great for a month.
Not a fan of the Dr... :( I know, not good.
Was drinking water...
Not big on salt, so I doubt that could be it.... not TOM, curious... can anyone relate?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    what type of workout do you do? that used to happen to me when I'd go for a walk and didn't swing my arms while walking. It doesn't happen in any other type of workouts.
  • themurph8910
    themurph8910 Posts: 124
    Options
    it could be that you need more salt in your diet or at least more water, this happens to me if i leave my wedding rings on. I have to take them off before i do anything work out related. This only happens to me in the summer.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    check your blood pressure
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    it could be that you need more salt in your diet or at least more water, this happens to me if i leave my wedding rings on. I have to take them off before i do anything work out related. This only happens to me in the summer.

Me too. I have never been able to work out with rings on. Now that I am getting healthier, my hands swell less than they used to. They also get really warm and really, really red.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, mine would swell while I was walking. However, now it's not a problem so much. Give it time, your body should adjust.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    my hands always swell when working out. whether is running or elliptical or cardio. I just take my rings off before I begin.

My hands also swell up at night too. They have always done that. Even when I was in high school. I thought it was normal.
  • congresta77
    congresta77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I read up on this because I had the same problem. What I found is that you need to drink more water when working out and also to keep your arms up around or above your heart. Now I drink a ton of water while walking on the treadmill and keep my arms up. Hope this helps you too.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    This happens to me during the summer and it's worse if i leave my wedding rings on.. who knows.. i thought it might be my blood pressure, but my blood pressure is good.. sometimes my ankles do it too.. i think it just happens sometimes.. the weather and pressures and altitudes have a lot to do with it.. crazy i know..
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Ditto for the walking, it's because your hands are below your heart so it's harder for the blood to flow there when your body is concentrating on getting blood to the muscles you are using, if you raise your hands up to your chest and make fists every 5 - 10 minutes it will help. Plus lots of water.
  • jenny_fur
    jenny_fur Posts: 73
    Options
    It definately could be that I was doing something new... I ran/walked for the first time today. I am aware of it when I work out at home or on the elliptical, but my hands are usually doing something so I dont focus on it. But today, It really stood out! I feel better now! And I will check my BP.... More salt?? hmmm thats different than I had thought, will research....and I WILL DOUBLE MY WATER TODAY!
    Thanks All! :flowerforyou:
    I feel better now!
    xox
    Jen
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    this is not a health concern. It is actually very common and is called vasodilation. Basically, your blood vessels are opening up and causes increased blood flow toward the surface of the skin. It does NOT mean that you are out of shape--this is your body's way of regulating body temp. I swell up from any intense activity--especially in the summer. Drink plenty of water with lemon before, during, and after your workouts.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    This is very, very common. Especially at the beginning of starting a new routine. It's likely simple vasodilation - your blood vessels opening up and causing increased blood flow. That's normal during exercise and is the body's way of maintaining circulation. Vasodilation also helps the body regulate your temperature.

Another reason it happens is because as you walk, your hands are frequently held below your heart. Your legs can do the same thing, but they have huge muscles that pump the blood upward while your hands do not. You can help alleviate this by bending your elbows more, pumping your fingers, etc. I'd also suggest not wearing any rings until your body gets used to the exercise and you see this diminish.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This is very, very common. Especially at the beginning of starting a new routine. It's likely simple vasodilation - your blood vessels opening up and causing increased blood flow. That's normal during exercise and is the body's way of maintaining circulation. Vasodilation also helps the body regulate your temperature.

Another reason it happens is because as you walk, your hands are frequently held below your heart. Your legs can do the same thing, but they have huge muscles that pump the blood upward while your hands do not. You can help alleviate this by bending your elbows more, pumping your fingers, etc. I'd also suggest not wearing any rings until your body gets used to the exercise and you see this diminish.

This.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    sorry, double post!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Not sure what could cause this, but it is a little concerning.
    Im a little new to this "healthy" stuff... but I have been doing great for a month.
    Not a fan of the Dr... :( I know, not good.
    Was drinking water...
    Not big on salt, so I doubt that could be it.... not TOM, curious... can anyone relate?
    Thanks in advance!

It happens to me when I run (sometimes long walks) and per my doctor is a result of my high blood pressure. When you have high blood pressure your body has a difficult time pumping blood to your extremities . So that tends to happen to people with high blood pressure when they work out (strain their body) and enough does not reach there, they swell up.

Your blood pressure may not be as bad as mine, but worth checking. Short of treatment for the actual blood pressure, lots of fluids and low sodium (not just salt) may help. I personally have to set my sodium level on mfp lower that typically permissible amount.

p.s. for me it happens ONLY when I run.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I have low blood pressure, and this still happens to me sometimes -- mostly when I'm walking. I'd just drink more and not worry about it. :)