ATTENTION Cold Sore sufferers! Caffinated Coffee!

Options
This is such a huge forum, I wanted to share what got rid of cold sores for me. Cold sores are really painful, ugly and just plain old terrible!!

The 3 triggers of cold sores: the sun, stress, and TOM - I always had one of them going on and had been getting them since I was a teenager. From 25 years old on, I had break-outs monthly.

When I got pregnant in my 30's, I cut out alcohol (except an occasional glass of white wine), caffinated coffee, and eating more veggies and less sugar/desert items. Basically eating better and cleaning up your diet kinda things. During my preganancy, I only had 1 cold sore in 8 months!!! After giving birth, I started adding things back into my diet. I started getting cold sores again. Thought it was the hormonal change, but, I started picking at things I changed while pregnant. I FOUND THE CULPRIT!!! CAFFINATED COFFEE!!! Over the next 2 years, I experimented. No coffee caffine, no cold sores. I drank caffinated coffee, and after 3 days, cold sores!!! I tried this at least 4 different times over the next 4 years. I have since quit drinking any caffinated coffee (only de-caf). I can drink pop, and ingest other caffinated products, but not Coffee. I think I have only had 8 or 9 small cold sores over the past 17 years!!! If this helps anyone, it was worth the post.

Even today, if I drink Caffinated Coffee over a 3 day period, I will get a cold sore. Give it a try!! It might just work. Not medically proven, but I swear by it!!

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    You should put a disclaimer on here that this is a personal experience and results may vary. It's not a scientific study, just testimony.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You should put a disclaimer on here that this is a personal experience and results may vary. It's not a scientific study, just testimony.

You are right, it IS just a personal experience, not a scientific study.
  • caringstd66
    caringstd66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you or someone you know is living with herpes or other STDs, please come visit us at HerpesGroups. com. You are MORE than your STD, so give yourself a chance to love again. No rejection or discrimination.
  • bintheredunthat
    Options
    to nancy your right about the caffiene and to kim your right too coldcores are herpes simplex virus....there in fact are many tiggers that can bring about the outbreak of cold sores, any kind of stress on the mental, emotional or physical aspect. Even being very excited and anxious about something..too much sun,being sick..etc....IF you have the virus! I for one have found my triggers and it is no laughing matter when you lips swell up in a distorted way ,it leaves everyone wondering what the other guy looks like. Certain foods can trigger the virus...caffeine being a stimulant of course it will aid in the trigger especially if your already stressed and medical books are clinical findings...but our experiences and personal research in the quest for better health are findings as well.....caffeine is a big trigger for me, so now i stay away from both reg and decaf coffee...as i have found out that the process of removing is toxic and the additives they use for this process can cause rhuematoid arthritis....ya i know right. Also calming herbal teas to help with stress in this life helps too..
  • dexyfox7
    dexyfox7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    'Abreva' does NOT help with cold sores. Every doctor I've been to has told me that, and it's never helped in the past. Everyone has different triggers, I'll get a breakout maybe once a year, and it's always when I'm sick and have been drinking too much acid (e.g. Orange juice, tomato juice, etc). For others, it's when they spend too much time in the sun, eat too much chocolate, and the list goes on and on.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I love waking up to zombie threads in the morning
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Lysine - take 2 pills (1000 mg) each day for a couple of days as soon as you feel/notice it and it never surfaces. I learned this when I moved to Ohio 15 years ago and I haven't had a cold sore show up as more than a dot since then. It's a vitamin so it's not like you're putting chemicals in your body.

Save the money on that book and just buy some Lysine! I've done 15 years of leg work, it works!
  • CatchMom11
    Options

You are right, it IS just a personal experience, not a scientific study.

I thought that was quite obvious that it wasn't a scientific study. lol.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Oh goodie -- zombie thread AND spam. All we need now is ACV for the morning trifecta.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    Lysine - take 2 pills (1000 mg) each day for a couple of days as soon as you feel/notice it and it never surfaces. I learned this when I moved to Ohio 15 years ago and I haven't had a cold sore show up as more than a dot since then. It's a vitamin so it's not like you're putting chemicals in your body.

Save the money on that book and just buy some Lysine! I've done 15 years of leg work, it works!

Yes. My orthodontist recommended Lysine and Vitamin C to strengthen my lips and mouth tissue to prevent irritation from my braces. I have not had a cold sore since either.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    And of course my cold sore experience has been related to stress much more than anything else. No stress, no cold sore.

In a weird case, I once had a dental cleaning from a young hygienist who was ill that day. She sat on my right, all hygienically protected and cleaned my teeth. Afterward, I got a cold sore on my right ear lobe. Just that once and never again.

Coffee? I've been guzzling coffee for 40 years and that has never been an issue.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Coffee? I've been guzzling coffee for 40 years and that has never been an issue.

Same here.

I've been drinking black dark roast coffee for years and it's been years since I've had a cold sore.

Use to get them when I was a teenager over 50 years ago but I didn't drink much coffee then.

So, my experience is certainly different than the OP's.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Oh goodie -- zombie thread AND spam. All we need now is ACV for the morning trifecta.

There's one going on now...
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, never had, can't stand the stuff, I've been plagued with cold sores for 40+ years.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Melissa essential oil works wonders on cold sores. I’ve been getting them my whole life, and now when I feel one coming I put Melissa oil on it and it goes away without breaking through the skin. It’s a miracle oil!
    I get it from doterra. It is on the more expensive side.
  • CatchMom11
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Coffee has nothing to do with it. If you don't have the Herpes Simplex virus already within you, you've got nothing to worry about.