Yoga!

Options
mindiv
mindiv Posts: 49 Member
I want to start incorporating yoga into my weekly routine, in addition to my cardio and weights. Classes aren't an option - I live in the middle of nowhere without a gym. So I'm stuck with videos.

Any good yoga videos I should try to start out? I've never really done any yoga before. I've looked up and tried some individual poses, but never anything the length of an entire workout or video.

With the yoga, I want to accomplish some strength and toning, with some calorie burn, just because I'm in maintenance and want to keep it that way!!

Thanks!

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I like Ronald Yee's routine. He has DVDs for beginners to advance I've seen them for sale at the grocery store, Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc.

http://www.yeeyoga.com/
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I like Patricia Walden and the PM yoga DVD. That's what I started with. Did it at night. Great to calm the day down and work out at the same time.
  • mjemerson
    mjemerson Posts: 141
    Options
    I love Rodney Yee!! I have his Ultimate Power Yoga, Yoga for Beginners and A.M. Yoga. I would highly recommend him!
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    I do yoga at a studio and its hard to do it at home. Its just not the same feeling, but I do LOVE jillian Michaels yoga meltdown.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a surprising number of full-length (20-60+ minutes) videos for beginning yogis :) Search "yoga for beginners" or "beginning yoga." Definitely a great place to start before you invest in any DVDs!
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you are on Netflix search there.
  • Alison_84
    Alison_84 Posts: 86
    Options
    It's not your traditional yoga by any means, but I like Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown DVD. It has 2 30-minute workouts (beginner and advanced) and it definitely has me sweating by the end! I got mine for $9.99 (Cnd) at Walmart

edit: just saw that a few other people recommended the same dvd in the time it took me to post! it really is a good one!
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The best video I have found, and I love yoga!!, is by Baron Baptiste, yoga GURU!. The video is called Baptiste power vinyasa yoga LIVE! Series. It comes with 3 different yoga practices, soul of strength (60 min), core power (30 min), and unlocking athletic power (30 min and my fave!). You could probably find it on line and prob for cheep with ebay or amazon. I just bought it on line at amazon for my friend for her bday:)
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There are so many different styles of yoga, and different instructors make such a difference too, that it can be hard to make recommendations. I started with a Kathy Smith video at home, attended some live classes with various instructors, and have grown my DVD collection quite a bit. I like Sarah Ivanhoe a lot, I find her videos easy to follow. I also like yogadownload.com - many of their 20 min classes are available for free. I'm not sure how easy they'd be to follow if you don't have any real experience with yoga though.
  • Madgiebee
    Madgiebee Posts: 6
    Options
    If you want a "studio yoga" experience online I would definitely recommend Yogisanonymous.com

Poke around the site. They have 4 classes that are always free streaming and then do live streaming classes several times a week (keep in mind times listed are california time).

I've practiced yoga in studio, on my own, and via videos and, while studio is the best, this website is pretty darn close. Hope it helps you out!
  • courtneylwatson
    courtneylwatson Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    http://yogatoday.com/videos/this_weeks_free_video

They have a new free video every week.
  • jmore85
    jmore85 Posts: 36
    Options
    There is a great Yoga DVD called 'Yoga for dummies' which has 2 separate sections and goes from a relaxed pace to a faster one. I found ti was really helpful, like you I am isolated and had to learn from scratch on my own.

I love yoga, hopefully you can get something that you enjoy.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Tara Stiles is the best! She has some stuff you can buy on Amazon, but she also has a free channel on Youtube.

www.youtube.com/tarastilesyoga