Not enough calories but too much sugar?

Options
I keep having an ongoing problem where I struggle to eat enough calories without going over my sugar intake. Does anyone have tips on eating certain things that are low on sugar/sodium but have a decent amount of calories (100-300ish)? My diary keeps saying that I'm eating too few calories but when I do hit my cal/carb goal, my sugar is usually way high in the reds by then.

Help me please!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat more lean protein and veggies. Neither will have much sugar. Also, I wouldn't worry much if the sugar is from fruit, as long as it's not excessive.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    yesterday I went over on sugar from eating an apple and cherries-- nothing else. I was kinda pissed off, but I don't think that MFP gives you enough sugar. I go over everyday because friut has crazy sugar.
  • corbansmom
    corbansmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I'm interested in seeing what people respond...I struggle with this also.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I get the same exact thing, and I know that it is because I eat alot of carrots! I kind of decided that I wouldn't care so much about going over my sugar if it is because of fruits and veggies like carrots instead of things like desserts. I'm not saying this is right, but I don't understand why I should limit my fruits and veggies because of natural sugars making me go over my sugars limit.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over sugar if it's mostly from fruits and veggies. I go over every day and I've lost 23 lbs!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    We spoke to a nutritionist who said it doesn't matter if your carbs are from sugar or something else, so as long as the sugars are natural I wouldn't worry about it. Now if you're eating spoons full of refined sugar, then you need to change something. :wink:
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    i dont worry too much about the sugar from fruit, thats the only reason why i go over also.. not like im eating twinkies and ding dongs!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you are getting sugar from fruit it really is way better than processed/packaged foods.

How about peanut butter or nuts? I know peanut butter has sugar, but it may not be too bad?

Nuts have a lot of calories but are low in sugar in sodium.
    I'm addicted to the Emerald Cocoa Almonds!!!!! :love:
    They are my go to snack. 1/4 of a cup easily over 100 calories and you can pair them up with yogurt.
  • CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    eat eggs!!!!!!!!!!! 1 gram of carbs and 80 calories for an extra large egg
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I see red a lot with sugar, I dont mind as long as most of it is from fruit. YOu want to keep the sugar you eat mostly from fruit and not from added sugars like cereal, or adding sugar to your coffee or oatmeal, etc. I think its better for you to eat fruit than it is to worry that fruit put your sugar over, =my two cents. As far as low sugar, low fat, low sodium 100-200 cal snacks? I struggle with that too. A few ideas (I dont have many:) could be light popcorn and I sprinkle wheat germ on mine for added flavor and protein, any piece of fruit and/or veggie, smoothies, low fat cottage cheese, string cheese, handful of nuts (higher in fat but REALLY good for you:).
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nuts, eggs.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Mine is always in the red...but over 50% of it is from fruit, so I don't worry about it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I get the same exact thing, and I know that it is because I eat alot of carrots! I kind of decided that I wouldn't care so much about going over my sugar if it is because of fruits and veggies like carrots instead of things like desserts. I'm not saying this is right, but I don't understand why I should limit my fruits and veggies because of natural sugars making me go over my sugars limit.

Carrots have very little sugar. They've gotten a bad reputation because the sugar they have is a simple sugar, but they contain so little of it that they actually have a very low glycemic load.
  • JoyCurl
    JoyCurl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!
  • whereitscat
    Options
    Eat more protein and more fat. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to eat fat when you want to lose fat, but more and more research is saying that a low-fat diet isn't necessarily better for losing weight. Avocados and olives/olive oil are great sources of beneficial calories that won't make you go over on sugar. And like so many others have said, as long as it's not from processed sugar, it's probably not terrible for you as long as your calories are okay. Just make sure your diet has protein and fats in adequate levels, or your body will suffer for it.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi. Eating fruits, whole and raw fruits is not so much a problem (watermelon and pineapple is a bit too sweet for diabetics). The reason why there is a difference between refined sugar (candy bars or processed foods) and fruits is the fiber. When you eat refined sugar (without fiber), the sugar goes straight to your blood stream. The fiber, as you might suspect, doesn't (as quickly).

If you are truly worried, then you should start studying the glycemic Index of foods.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

On the left navigation, there is a GI database. The site does give you the GL as well but recommends that you concentrate on the GI, esp. for diabetics.

Good health to you.
  • taem
    Options
    Eat more protein and more fat. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to eat fat when you want to lose fat, but more and more research is saying that a low-fat diet isn't necessarily better for losing weight. Avocados and olives/olive oil are great sources of beneficial calories that won't make you go over on sugar. And like so many others have said, as long as it's not from processed sugar, it's probably not terrible for you as long as your calories are okay. Just make sure your diet has protein and fats in adequate levels, or your body will suffer for it.

I am interested in your research, would you please reply with some sources to the claim that low fat is not necessary please?
    Thanks.
  • taem
    Options
    eat eggs!!!!!!!!!!! 1 gram of carbs and 80 calories for an extra large egg

I just want to say that an egg, while having low carbs and no sugar has a lot of cholesterol. A hard-boiled egg, for example has 577 mg of cholesterol. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/117/2 (this is 136 grams)

When you compare that to beef (beef, bottom sirloin, tri-tip, separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, choice, cooked, roasted), you have a cholesterol level of 556 mg. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/7389/2 this is 591 grams of the roast.

Cholesterol wise, I think both are not acceptable. I would suffer a bit more fat and have the delicious beef, right!
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I am interested in your research, would you please reply with some sources to the claim that low fat is not necessary please?
    Thanks.

The dieting world screams with contradictory advice: Carbs are evil; carbs are good for you. "Good fat" is healthy; "good fat" has tons of calories.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health and the Pennington Biomedical Research Center put four popular diets -- high carb, high fat, low-fat and high protein -- to the test to see which of the regimens resulted in more weight-loss success.

After two years of monitoring the participants, "all the diets were winners," said study co-author Dr. Frank Sacks, a professor of cardiovascular disease prevention at the Harvard School of Public Health. "All produced weight loss and improvements in lipids, reduction in insulin.

"The key really is that it's calories. It's not the content of fat or carbohydrates, it's just calories," said Sacks. The findings are published in the latest edition of the New England Journal of Medicine.

For the study, 811 overweight adults in Boston, Massachusetts, and Baton Rouge, Louisiana, were assigned to one of four diets.

A quarter went on a carbohydrate-heavy diet, some on high-fat, others on low-fat and the remaining on high-protein diet. The four diets were not based on popular diets, Sacks said.

Regardless of diet, most participants had dramatic weight loss after six months, losing an average of 13 pounds.

According to Sacks' research, many of the 800-plus participants regained weight after a year, but about 80 percent of them lost at least eight pounds after two years. And 15 percent of the participants lost at least 10 percent of their body weight.

The study, funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health, showed little difference in users' satiety, hunger or satisfaction with their diets.

Participants could attend individual sessions where dieticians educated them and group sessions where they discussed their experiences with one another.

Those who had better attendance in the sessions had stronger weight-loss results. "These findings together point to behavioral factors rather than macronutrient metabolism as the main influences on weight loss," according to the study. Macronutrients are the three main nutrients the body uses in relatively large amounts: proteins, carbohydrates and fats.

"No one of those diets are necessarily better than any other diet," Sacks said.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-02-25/health/best.diet_1_popular-diets-high-protein-diet-high-protein?_s=PM:HEALTH
  • taem
    Options

Thanks.

The dieting world screams with contradictory advice: Carbs are evil; carbs are good for you. "Good fat" is healthy; "good fat" has tons of calories.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health and the Pennington Biomedical Research Center put four popular diets -- high carb, high fat, low-fat and high protein -- to the test to see which of the regimens resulted in more weight-loss success.

After two years of monitoring the participants, "all the diets were winners," said study co-author Dr. Frank Sacks, a professor of cardiovascular disease prevention at the Harvard School of Public Health. "All produced weight loss and improvements in lipids, reduction in insulin.

"The key really is that it's calories. It's not the content of fat or carbohydrates, it's just calories," said Sacks. The findings are published in the latest edition of the New England Journal of Medicine.

For the study, 811 overweight adults in Boston, Massachusetts, and Baton Rouge, Louisiana, were assigned to one of four diets.

A quarter went on a carbohydrate-heavy diet, some on high-fat, others on low-fat and the remaining on high-protein diet. The four diets were not based on popular diets, Sacks said.

Regardless of diet, most participants had dramatic weight loss after six months, losing an average of 13 pounds.

According to Sacks' research, many of the 800-plus participants regained weight after a year, but about 80 percent of them lost at least eight pounds after two years. And 15 percent of the participants lost at least 10 percent of their body weight.

The study, funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute of the National Institutes of Health, showed little difference in users' satiety, hunger or satisfaction with their diets.

Participants could attend individual sessions where dieticians educated them and group sessions where they discussed their experiences with one another.

Those who had better attendance in the sessions had stronger weight-loss results. "These findings together point to behavioral factors rather than macronutrient metabolism as the main influences on weight loss," according to the study. Macronutrients are the three main nutrients the body uses in relatively large amounts: proteins, carbohydrates and fats.

"No one of those diets are necessarily better than any other diet," Sacks said.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-02-25/health/best.diet_1_popular-diets-high-protein-diet-high-protein?_s=PM:HEALTH

What a well constructed response, thank you!