Help... sewing advice needed

Options
MzBug
MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
I have an old swimsuit that needs an adjustment. I don't have enough boobage to fill the cups on my suit. :cry: I am rattling around inside like a peanut in the shell. I can't afford to go get another suit. It has one of those soft foam cup bra things that is only attached at the sides and along the top edge, and elastic band on the bottom. The suit has enough loose material in the breast area (outer suit) that a modification of the under bra will not be noticed. I think I can "take in" the cup on either side, and the band on both sides and up the middle in front. Anyone have any advice?

Ohh the joys of being a pear shape!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Spandex is tricky to sew. My Dad used to work for a swimsuit factory and brought home some leftover fabric. You'll definitely need a very sharp needle on your machine. But it might be best to do it by hand.

Have you checked discount stores like Ross? I've seen some as low as $10 there.

Or if you wouldn't mind some padding, you can tack "cutlets" into the lining. I got a pair at Target to give extra oomph to low cute dresses.
  • areittinger
    areittinger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    you absolutely can do that, My advice though would be to use a surge machine. it uses about 10 different threads ( like the seam that you see going up the sides of the suit. IF you just do single lines you run the risk of making holes and the suit tearing when it stretches. If you dont have a surge machine. i would do 3 single lines and then do the zig zag a crossed your single lines. to help keep it all together. (4 years of clothing and design) I hope that makes sense and helps.
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I tried to make my own bathing suit last year and it was an epic fail lol its very hard to work with in a sewing machine. I would say do it by hand or you can check out some store is the mall my mother-in-law was able to find a really cute bikini top for like $4 at forever 21.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If you're going to use a machine, use a stretch needle with it. These have longer grooves, enabling a longer loop to be formed in the stitch because often, sewing a stretchy fabric with an ordinary needle, or even a ballpoint will result in skipped stitches.

Good luck with altering your cossie....and congrats on the weight loss!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My machine will do the stretch stitches and the stretch zig zag. There is plenty of excess on the band that using a strong non stretch stitch to take it in won't be a problem...it isn't supportive at all. I know the foam part will need to be done by hand though. I thought that maybe a dart from the middle of the bottom to the nipple area would work? It wouldn't show on the outer suit since the outer material is loose.
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    Since you are only planning to adjust the inner bra, it should be fine to do a dart, but I'd suggest doing it angled from the side seam to 1/4" below or to the side of the nipple. You could also try a gathering stitch just above the elastic of the bra, which would take in some of that extra 'cuppage'.