Losing weight but not inches??

Options
So I have been on MFP for about a month. I eat really well, I work out almost everyday (average 6 days a week) with the 30DS video and at least 300-400 calories on the eliptical, plus I go for hour long walks 3-4 times a week. I have lost 7 pounds (which I am excited about) and everything definatly looks more toned and tighter (not so many jiggly bits) but I havent lost ANY inches in over two weeks. Nothing...nowhere...at all... All my clothes fit the same. I dont get it..
I am 5'2, and weigh 138lbs my goal is 125lbs and I wear a size 29-30 or a M-L. (or 8-10). I would like to get down to a size 28 at least. I dont get it!!! Why am I not getting any smaller!!! Help please!!!!!

Replies

• Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I've lost about 8 pounds and haven't seen a decrease in inches as well. Everything takes it's own time, but keep up the good work and you'll start to see those numbers go down! :flowerforyou:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    you are probally loosing water and then viscral fat(cant spell)lol thats the fat that surrounds your arteries.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    7 pounds is a lot, but you never know where it's coming from. It might be partly water weight. You might be losing from your arms, your calves, or some other place you're not measuring. Give it time, and make sure you're doing some strength training in addition to your cardio, and the inches will start to come off.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i didn't see any changes in inches for a couple of months- just sloooowww pounds. Then in the last couple of months (probably once I hit about 10 pounds lost) I started seeing some changes on the measuring tape. I think it just takes time- maybe for your body to adjust to burning? Who knows. I think it's common though to not see inches for awhile. oh and i didn't start seeing changes in inches until I really made sure I was strength training/muscle toning (i added tracy anderson's muscle work to my routine and finally 30 of that and 30 of cardio every day started changing my body)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The first article of clothing that I noticed was getting big on me was my shoes. Talk about demoralizing!

But you're doing great and everything will fall into place.
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! If you're losing weight and toning up you will lose inches. My body often does it in stages: I'll lose the weight first, then the numbers will be stagnant, but the inches drop off, or I'll lose inches but no weight, and then all of a sudden the scale drops. Rarely do these two happen at the same time, at least for me. Good luck, and don't get discouraged! 2 weeks isn't that long. Celebrate your victories, whatever form they take!
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's like unrolling a paper towels. Take the first 10 sheets off the role you can't see a change in size but near the end removing 10 sheets will make a big difference in the size.
  • katemoyer05
    katemoyer05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is so hard. I have lost about 8 pounds now, and it's been over the course of a couple of months (I'm moving slowly). I have just recently started to notice that a couple of my pairs of pants fit better. They aren't as snug around my hips, which is great because I have huge hips, but the first place I noticed losing it was in my chest. That is so upsetting because I'm not that big there anyway, but losing the weight is so great anyway that I'm accepting any loss I can take. You'll get there.
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    7 pounds is a lot, but you never know where it's coming from. It might be partly water weight. You might be losing from your arms, your calves, or some other place you're not measuring. Give it time, and make sure you're doing some strength training in addition to your cardio, and the inches will start to come off.

Great answer. Try mixing up intervals, too! You won't believe how much more you sweat! Also, inches will usually come from the places we don't "need" them to come from. For example, midsection inches take time and tons of dedication.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    someone posted a good article on another thread, so I'll repeat it here:

http://www.diet-blog.com/06/fat_distribution_and_spot_reduction.php

this explains the difference between visceral fat (surrounding organs) and subcutaneous fat (beneath the skin).

Maybe this could help answer some questions as to where the weight loss is coming from without the loss in inches.

There is also something to be said about water loss at the beginning which other posters have mentioned. I lost almost 6 pounds in less than a week my first week in MFP, but it wasn't really fat loss... it was water.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    It is so hard. I have lost about 8 pounds now, and it's been over the course of a couple of months (I'm moving slowly). I have just recently started to notice that a couple of my pairs of pants fit better. They aren't as snug around my hips, which is great because I have huge hips, but the first place I noticed losing it was in my chest. That is so upsetting because I'm not that big there anyway, but losing the weight is so great anyway that I'm accepting any loss I can take. You'll get there.

I am right there with you! I did notice that the rolls on my back are gone. My neck looks tons better too. I just reached 10# after 3-4 mos. some body types lose slower, ectomorphs. And have seen 1" loss total. I have records from a couple years back when i was lighter and thinner, and it was only a couple of inches different than now, so maybe I'm thinking 10# = 1"??? I don't know! LOL

good luck,
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    It's like unrolling a paper towels. Take the first 10 sheets off the role you can't see a change in size but near the end removing 10 sheets will make a big difference in the size.

Great metaphor! haha very true :o)