Somethings fishy....

2»

Replies

• clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    You originally posted that you wanted recipes, right?

My favorite way to cook white fish is to coat in a thin layer of reduced-fat mayo, then roll in a mixture of half parmesean cheese and seasoned breadcrumbs. Bake on a pan sprayed with Pam in a 350 degree oven until fish flaked easily with a fork. It is really tender and unless you really overcook it, the mayo keeps it from drying out. Sooooo good!
    About how long do you cook it to make it flake- don't cook fish much! I have always gone out to eat fish b/c it's so much quicker (The new me wants to cook it now:tongue:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member

My favorite way to cook white fish is to coat in a thin layer of reduced-fat mayo, then roll in a mixture of half parmesean cheese and seasoned breadcrumbs. Bake on a pan sprayed with Pam in a 350 degree oven until fish flaked easily with a fork. It is really tender and unless you really overcook it, the mayo keeps it from drying out. Sooooo good!
    About how long do you cook it to make it flake- don't cook fish much! I have always gone out to eat fish b/c it's so much quicker (The new me wants to cook it now:tongue:

That's a great question - I am in the unknown zone here too!
  • trinluv
    trinluv Posts: 12
    I love swordfish!

I take a thick piece with a lil of olive oil, parsley, garlic & fresh squeezed lemon, broil it & serve it up with some brown rice & a salad mmmmm.

it's about 170 calories just for the fish.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member

That's a great question - I am in the unknown zone here too!

I just reread my post and noticed I hit the 3 instead of the 4-You should bake in a 450 degree oven uncovered for 10 min. per inch. The juice should run clear, it should be firm to the touch, and when you can poke it in the thickest area with a fork and twist, the fork should flake apart evenly and look opaque, not translucent. Just watch it closely because it's very easy to overcook fish! Good luck!
  • I'm not sure how you feel about salmon, but I like to make it in the microwave. I've made it like this for my girlfriends and they all loved it, too! I just melt a little butter (I use I can't believe it's not butter - light) in the bottom of a microwave safe dish, put the salmon in with a little lemon juice and lemon pepper, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 7 minutes, or until the fish is flakey. The more filets you put in, the longer it needs to cook. Be careful when you take of the plastic wrap; I still have a scar from burning myself with the steam from over a year ago!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    I'm not sure how you feel about salmon, but I like to make it in the microwave. I've made it like this for my girlfriends and they all loved it, too! I just melt a little butter (I use I can't believe it's not butter - light) in the bottom of a microwave safe dish, put the salmon in with a little lemon juice and lemon pepper, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 7 minutes, or until the fish is flakey. The more filets you put in, the longer it needs to cook. Be careful when you take of the plastic wrap; I still have a scar from burning myself with the steam from over a year ago!

This is a great idea. A women I know would put the more oily fish covered about 1/2 way in milk (to kill the fishy taste) and a dab of butter with salt and pepper. Not to be a kill joy, but my only concern is the controversy in cooking with plastic wrap in the microwave. I wonder if it would work with just a plate covering the dish? Sorry to hear you burned yourself!
  • DaniSee
    DaniSee Posts: 35
    Me & my hubby usually eat Pollock, not a hugely 'fishy' tasting fish. My hubby is not a huge fish fan y'see.

I sprinkle it with a little pepper & some lemon juice, wrap it in foil so it doesn't dry out and cooks in it's own juices. Cook in the oven on 300 for 15-20 minutes and it is so tender. I usually serve it with brown rice and veggies. A little lemon & dill dressing is amazing on it.
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    We found this frozen salmon in the freezer at Safeway -- absolutely amazing. The brand is High-Liner and it's salmon in an herb and garlic sauce. Each fillet is individually sealed and we throw two pieces in a small baking dish and just follow the baking instructions for the oven on the side of the box to cook. It takes like 18 - 20 minutes to bake. They taste soooo wonderful.

I, too, had never cooked fish before and am not a big fan of "fishy" fish flavour. I was a bit apprehensive about going about it, and this frozen brand that's already got a lovely seasoning to it with the herb and garlic variety (also comes in a dill or teriyaki flavour) was the perfect "gateway" into the world of cooking fish for me. So simple to just pop it out of the freezer already seasoned and bake for x amount of minutes. And the fillets are really low in fat, calories and carbs. Good stuff!

Now that I'm more confident with fish I am ready to try some of the yummy recipes suggested in this thread :) That mayo and parmesan/breadcrumb mixture sounds divine!

Good luck!
  • olyjok
    olyjok Posts: 133 Member
    Cold water fish is the way to go.... Warm water gives the fish a fishy tast... So stay away from the mid summer fish from the lakes... Wait till the water is cold..:happy:
  • banfathi99
    banfathi99 Posts: 23 Member
    Orange Roughy...delish.

Just something to note. Orange roughy is currently on the list of fish that consumers should avoid the most. It doesn't reproduce until a very late age. Most fish are caught before they can reproduce and therefore they are in severe decline. This species is in the process of being listed as endangered in Australia. It is also caught by bottom trawling which destroys the habitat in which the species lives as well as catches many species as by catch which are thrown over board. the population is now 10% of what it was when the orange roughy was discovered in the 1990's.

Also since it is so long lived, there may be issues regarding mercury. I haven't found any documentation on this but know that most health organisations advise not eating long lived fish.
  • DawnInOhio
    DawnInOhio Posts: 211 Member
    Orange Roughy...delish.

Could be why the price has risen so much in the past year. Thanks for the info. Will settle for cod from now on.
This discussion has been closed.