Picky Eater, How do I eat right?

Options
gtbalm
gtbalm Posts: 14 Member
I have always been a very picky eater.....I don't mean to be, I just never liked most foods. Especially the ones that are good for me. Mostly, it's a texture thing. I'm much better about it now, trying and liking new things, but there are still a ton of things that people suggest for eating right that I just can't get down. Tomatoes.....just can't eat them. What's a girl to do? I want to eat right, healthy. But what do I do when all the recipes involve foods I truly can't stomach? I want to make sure I'm getting the nutrition I need. I know some people say, just suck it up and eat the stuff you don't like anyway.....well, that doesn't work if it makes you sick to your stomach.

Anyone else out there have these same issues?

2421723.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What will you eat?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm an extremely picky eater and I've managed to make it work. You have to spend a little bit of time attempting to try new foods so you'll know if you like it or not. It isn't easy for someone who is stuck in a rut foodwise and always eats the same things. But, you HAVE to put forth the effort.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm an extremely picky eater and I've managed to make it work. You have to spend a little bit of time attempting to try new foods so you'll know if you like it or not. It isn't easy for someone who is stuck in a rut foodwise and always eats the same things. But, you HAVE to put forth the effort.

very well put....Same thing with me. You can do it!!
  • Tayla08
    Tayla08 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm a very picky eater too so I feel your pain! I really don't like raw veggies at all, but I've found I like most cooked. You couldn't get me to touch a lettuce salad if you paid me! LOL! You just have to try new things, I've heard you have to eat the things you don't like a few times before you'll start to like them.... I agree with the other posters, you just have to try new foods!!! You'll be suprised at what you might like...and I think it all depends on how stuff is prepared as well. Good luck!!!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and eat the things you should eat anyways!
    JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know how to tell ya what to eat if you are a picky eater cause I never have been. We were too poor to be picky growing up and I guess that was a great thing cause I don't have a picky bone in my body.
    Good luck though. I hope you find somethings that work for you!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and eat the things you should eat anyways!
    JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know how to tell ya what to eat if you are a picky eater cause I never have been. We were too poor to be picky growing up and I guess that was a great thing cause I don't have a picky bone in my body.
    Good luck though. I hope you find somethings that work for you!

We didn't have a lot of money either and I ate a lot of pbj sandwiches because we were always given the option of pbj if we didn't like what my parents made for dinner.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Maybe try new foods that are similar to what you will eat and see if you can slowly add more to your selection. Then google recipies using those foods for variety.
  • PurpleStarKatz
    PurpleStarKatz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm a very picky eater too. Going off your tomato example, I don't like raw tomatos at all, but I love them cooked in recipes. But in reverse, I've also found that I will only eat raw carrots. I just can't handle anything mushy, so I get the not being able to stomach the foods.
    Honestly, my best advice is to just hang in there, try new things, and see what you like. I've found a lot of new foods I like lately so in some cases, I'm no more picky than my friends, and sometimes even less picky than them! hahaha.
    Best of luck to you!
  • bluscorpion
    bluscorpion Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! To everyone I know, I am the worst. I unfortunately have been thinking the only thing I can do is limit my serving size since going on a "diet" is just not an option. There are things that will make me physically ill. Cheese is my biggest one. It is definitely not that I would rather have a burger than a salad - it is that I absolutely HATE salad. The only vegetables I touch are onions, potatoes and corn. I only eat lettuce if it's on a burger but can't just do salad. I don't like any dressings and salads are just too plain and gross and have no flavor for me to want to eat it. I haven't lost a tremendous amount of weight unfortunately, but I've just had to realize that I need to cut back on the AMOUNT I eat, not WHAT I eat, cuz that's just something that is never going to change, I think.